PageFileUsageMonitor

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Howard Kaikow, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Lots of folkes have looked at PageFileUsageMonitor, I expect that a lot of this forum's participants are among that number.

So, I figured that I'd inform you of two things:

1. I've added a capability that I stupidly left out of the earlier releases. Not a bug, just a stupid omission on my part. This will make the program useful to a lot more folkes.

2. I've tested and prog works under Vista.

2. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I dont know much about this stuff. What's the point of of a Page File Monitor?

Thanks

3. Howard Kaikow

Determining appropriate sizes for page files.

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Hello Howard,

Very nice Interface! I've used Bill James' utility but I like having the current time displayed in the Interface. One nickpick would be to have the new entries in the Log file appended at the top, rather than at the bottom.

@Someone: many people like to tweak their Pagefile for speed, move it to different partitions, etc. , so a utility like this is helpful to monitor what is going on behind the scenes.

(For everyone who writes about tweaking, you find a different opinion!)

My interest was for monitoring the Peak Usage so as to determine the size of the PageFile.

Some people think that the PageFile only is used when Windows "swaps" to disk when free RAM is used up. Using such a Monitor proves this to be incorrect.

Here's how it worked for me:

Using Win2K and a small C:\ partition of 4GB, I wanted as small a PageFile as possible. My normal usage with about 5 programs running in the TaskBar is 35 - 50MB. Opening PhotoShop and MSPublisher, usage jumps to 70 - 80MB and if I print from MSPublisher, it jumps to 130-140MB.

I also have a RAM usage meter, and my free RAM has never depleted during a session.

Based on this, I set a Minimum PageFile size = 500MB.

I think Win2K does a great job of managing resources. I've never encountered any problems such as slowing down, etc. It's a huge improvement over Win9x.

Using DeepFreeze, the PageFile is restored to original on each reboot. (this can also be accomplished by setting Windows to clear the pagefile on shutdown).

So, a Monitor like Howard's is a useful utility.

----
    rich

5. Someone

OK. Thanks.

6. Someone

How do you move it to different partitions? Can you just cut and paste? Does everything still work?

Why is it 500MB? I don't get it.

Thanks

7. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

8. Howard Kaikow

9. Someone

But if it 140mb times 1.5, wouldn't it be 210? I don't get the 500mb.

10. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

True or not true?

A larger pagefile speeds up defragging.

Gerard

11. Howard Kaikow

The archaic 1.5 "rule" applies to the systems physical memory, which ordinarily results in excessive page file sizes.

The 140MB referred to supa, is the amount ofpagefile used when the poster was using, as I recall, a particular program.

so the poster chose 500MB as best for their system.

I use:

C drive: fixed size 64MB page file.
    F drive: variable-size 128MB to 1088MB pagefile

During my current windows session:

Pagefile on C had maximum use of 62MB
    Pagefile on F had maximum use of 132MB with 152MB pagefile. This is largey due to Acronis True Image.

12. Howard Kaikow

Unless a pagefile is of fixed-size, it worsens fragmentation

13. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Hi Someone,

I just decided to give it a bit more headroom. No other particular reason!

Frankly, in experimenting with different possibilities, I never saw any difference in my performance! I just wanted to keep it smaller than the 1.5 "rule" Howard refers to. Using the 1.5 rule would dictate a huge PageFile size on my computer!

One thing I've always done is "test" rules. No two systems are alike.

I think this comes from my photography work, where I was taught, "Careful photographers run their own tests."

----
    rich

14. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Guess you could say I cheat. Have 4 Gigs of ram on 32 bit XP. 3.25 recognized. I run no pagefile. Seemed to get a bit of a boost in overall performance. Have not noticed any negative affects. May also help to extend the hard drives life.

Just thought I would toss this out as another option.

15. Howard Kaikow

A smaller page file can increase performance as it makes more space available for files, thus reducing fragmentation

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2008
  16. Howard Kaikow

With the newer OS, one does not actually need a pagefile, BUTT, there's my big BUTT again:

1. When booting, the OS will create a small pagefile in memory.
    2. I'm not sure what happens, if you do not have a page file, and the OS/app needs one. I would guess that could cause memory to be gobbled up.

I'd rather have smallish page files to reduce the chance of this happening.
    PageFileUsage Momitor helps you determine the appropriate size(s)

I suggest a small fixed-size page file on C, and variable size on other PHYSICAL drives, preferably not the OS drive. Each with a minimu size that reduces the chance that the OS will ask for more.

17. ThunderZ

A slight addition to your suggestion of a small pagefile on a separate drive. Put it on a different pata\sata connection then your OS drive. ;)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  18. Someone

Hi

Thanks for the explanation. But I don't get the part about going to 1088mb. Why does it need to be so big?

Thanks

19. Howard Kaikow

The small pagefile should be on the C drive, because that's where th OS first looks for it.

In my case, I have 3 SCSI hard drives (a 4th with honly Linix) with 4 OS.
    My most used OS is on drive 3, so I put the small page file on C on drive 1, and the variable size on the 2nd drive.

When I boot to an OS on the second drive, I sometimes see a difference in speed due to the presence of the pagefile.

20. Howard Kaikow

THe variale size page file allows for growth large enough to be 1,5 times memory.

I rarely see the pagefile grow above 200MB.

21. Someone

But then wouldn't it be 300?

Thanks

22. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Only if you are running low on contiguous frees-pace to store extents.
    Difference is negligible on current HDD sizes.

Only if you exceed the current size of pagefile. How often does this happen ?
    Setting a sensibly sized minimum (which WinXP does), helps reduce this to the point of not worth worrying about for the average person.

Machine can freeze or BSOD if you had no pagefile, this isWindows always creates a pagefile, even if you think you have totally turned it off !

That is what I do, Windows is smart enough to pick the least active drive at point of paging out.

You also want to place it on the most active partition (of whichever drive) to reduce head seeking.

23. ThunderZ

Until I built my current system with 4 Gigs. I never experimented much with the pagefile so I am truly a babe in the woods on all the facts. o_O But if you set your page file to a different drive from within the OS then are`t you telling the OS where to look for it therefor negating the very brief search time?
    Have read discussions on the same topic with different opinions. Some say having it on the same drive as the OS slows things down. Extra head movement is needed to read\write from the same drive if the pagefile and OS are located there. Compared to independent\separate head movement of 2 different drives. The same discussions held true if 2 drives were on the same cable\channel concerning data transfer. This would seem to hold true if only 1 drive was used as well.

24. Howard Kaikow

No.

64 + 1088 = 1152 = 1.5*768

25. Howard Kaikow

In my case, the C-D drives are on a 9GB SCSI drive with little space unused.
    Gotta choose a small fixed-size file.
    I found that 64MB works my system.

JUst about every day. Acronis TRue Image 9 is a page file hog.
    I used to get by with a 64MB minimum, then I started using TI.
    I've been thinking of raising the minimum to 256MB.

Ayup.

Ayup.

In my case: 10 logical drives on 3 SCSI drives.

Drive 1: C-D, OS on C
    Drive 2: F-H, OS on each of F and G
    Drive 3: I-M, OS on J

J is the main OS.
    64MB pagefile on C.
    128-1088MB pagefile on F.

I boot to C, F, and G ONLY when I need to test something, or compile VB with the version of Office installed in that OS, or run Windows/Office update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.