Rising AV - free edition

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pykko, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pykko

pykko Registered Member

It seems a new player comes to the Free AVs area: Rising.
    They've launched a free edition of their antivirus.

You can test it here: http://www.freerav.com/

It is not maybe a good player for Europe or US users but for Asia is OK I guess.

What I wonder is what features does the free version lack in comparison with the paid one ? The website seems not to show this.

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Interesting. Anyone tried this?

It is a 54meg download!

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I did buy Rising Firewall last month and the AV was included for free (or vice versa, but I just wanted the firewall really).
    I dont have many virus samples but the ones I had was intercepted by Rising AV so it isnt totally dumb.
    I did only use it for a week or so only because I am trialing Twister AV for the three free months to see if it is something for me. I tried Rising Antivirus just to see if it played well with Vista so I havent done any deeper analysis of it.
    All I can say is that compability speaking it played well with Vista.
    Maybe I will try it more later.

4. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

i mean it seems like it's pretty feature rich for a free AV, i don't know for sure because i haven't installed it.

for example, this feature :
    anyone actually try the free version yet?

5. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

The downloading page, brothersoft, appears to be rated 'Red' by WOT. Whats up? o_O

6. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Site advisor rated it red too,

When we tested this site we found links to golddownload.com, which we found to be a distributor of downloads some people consider adware, spyware or other potentially unwanted programs.
    In our tests, we found a small fraction of downloads on this site that some people consider adware or other potentially unwanted programs.

But if you trust the programs that you download there's no prob.

7. Tony

Tony Registered Member

If you dont want to get it from Brothersoft then it is also available at cnet
    http://www.download.com/Rising-Anti...-2239_4-10674783.html?tag=pub&cdlPid=10841975

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

54 MB? Even the Java program isn't that big. :eek:

9. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

not just that but take a look on these:
    • Anti virus, worms, trojans
    • Anti Rootkit
    • Mail Protection(POP3/SMTP)
    • Application Protection(RISING unique Account Safe function protects your online bank, online game, MSN, E-mail account, Yahoo Messenger and other private information.)
    • Proactive Defence(protects your security safe from malicious program)
    • Application Access Control
    • Program Startup Control
    • Malicious Behavior Detection
    • Hidden Process Detection
    • Multiple Languages
    • High Speed Update Service
    • Support Service
    • Free :rolleyes:
    I smell something behind the scenes.. ;)

10. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

but it gets better (or more fishy depends on how cynical we are)! according to the quote in the post by tony, the free version is the EXACT same thing as the paid version. and it's free as long as it's for personal use only.

i'm bout to download that sucker tonight.

11. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Has anybody installed and tried the free version and if so, what do you think?

I installed it in XP Pro vm machine and the computer locked up at every boot. I had to revert to a snapshot to get the vm machine working again.

12. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I noticed that Rising features do not mention adware/spyware protection. But the link below shows Rising as having 95.9% on demand scan for adware/spyware.

http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2008/03_13a.xml

Does anyone know how it performs in real time?

13. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

I gave it a spin, tweaked the settings (because I have DefenseWall on board), to speed up performance:
    - Scheduled scans (no startup scan, daily boot record and memory scan, optimize for performance)
    - Auto protect (file protection, added compressed files, only file creation, medium level, also script = web protection)
    - Active defense (system reinforcement set to high, behavioral detection set to low, possibly redundant added XP startup processes to application protection: ask for first three inrusions, did not seem to slow down rising, added explorer to limit application access actions, last three set to ask).

Opera starts cold within 3 secs, hot start within 1 sec (on Athlon 3900)

Scanning time average (acceptable), ran some random malware samples real time, caught them all, crashed when catching one (quarantained, but not deleted), kept on its feet despite crash, let the sample send to rising (so problably will be handled more elegant in future), scan on selected malwares directory, removed everything. Problably missed a few pop-ups (was bombarded), which caused a shut down error (also without losing protecting, one module timed out).

One active defense false positive, but neglected access, system kept running okay, also send to Rising

I will keep this freebie for a while, looks good until now (seems a good pick in combo with a policy sandbox, an overlapping pick when having a classic HIPS or smart behavioral blocker on board).

EDIT: received an update errors and FP are gone! Rising is a keeper for me, now nearly without AV, see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=213254 :thumb:

Regards Kees

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  14. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

@kees

hello kees, since you have the program installed can you help me with the following questions?

1) how much RAM does the program use?

2) have you messed around with the "Application Protection" settings to see if they actually work?

3) what do they mean by "Smart Virtual Machine with Behaviour & Packing Pattern Recognition"? i see it on their website and it says :
    http://www.rising-global.com/Published/Products/risingav.html

15. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Minimum 27MB, max 41MB, note that I disabled the real time file protection module

In Holland I would reply with "Do bears **** in the forrest?", meaning off course YES, the OS protection also works (including registry and file protection)

All AV suppliers battle with packed sourcecode (malware authors use this to hide their fingerprints patterns by scrambling them), with generic packed pattern recognition they have to "explode" (run) the code to some degree, wich increases the infection risk, but makes the AV engine real fast, with lots of specific packed pattern fingerprints, they can address the bad ones earlier, but run the real risk of missing one, so you have throw a lot of specific patterns in, which decreases performance.

Smart virtual Machine allows to explode/run the code, so generic pattern recognition has more chance and unwanted behavior can be assessed. In short the smartest most effective way to handle this optimization problem (like Norman does with all), unpack in a vritual environment so fast generic patterns have a chance to pinpoint the malware.

Have a look at your Antivir AV and note that it only scans inside packed data for a few levels deep and omits large files. That is another way of dealing with it (do not touch it, because it is not executed at the moment, in packed state it can do not much harm, until you execute it). As a AV vendor, you have to be damned sure about your AV-engine (Avira prooves right with its high scores) and USERS should always enable on execution scanning and scan at file reading enabled!

I would give it a spin in this setting, with one omission because you run LUA, you can decrease the OS-protection level (making it faster), LUA + RISING (in this setup https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1268176&postcount=1 with lower OS protection) and GeSWall paid is all the protection you need (at least when you have a good backup scheme in place:D )

I think the HIPS part is amazing with a combo like approach of Prevx and the smart simplicity of source - target protection rules (of no tother HIPS I know) and with DSA like OS protection intelligence. After my findings I googled a little: even Solcroft is positive about Rising (and he tends to be critical)

Regards Kees

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  16. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

@kees

thanks dude:thumb:

i went ahead and took a chance and installed it. so far so good. i don't notice any slow down (compared to when i had antivir on) and the install went smoothly.

i do notice that it has A LOT OF OPTIONS though. so much stuff to mess around with :)

17. L815

L815 Guest

It ran light and was pretty good overall. Although, I didn't feel secure as with other free av's. Just my subconscious taking over.

18. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Does it have its own engine? Or is it imported from someone elses?

19. Macstorm

Homemade, i think.

@Kees
    sorry for stupid question but what does its systray icon look like?

20. HyperFlow

HyperFlow Registered Member

it a green umbrella that changes to yellow than to red when a service is not running but you can send it to the back ground if you like and not see any thing. on a schedule scan it has the Rising logo.

21. Macstorm

Thank you HyperFlow :thumb:

22. L815

L815 Guest

Actually, I take back my previous comment, and have decided to run Rising for now. I didn't give it a real chance, and reading over this thread has made me re-think my opinion.

23. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

On my system uses 19-22mb during normal use and 50-60mb during a full system scan; the real time protection is active. o_O

24. L815

L815 Guest

The difference is normal, each system shouldn't be expected to have the same results ;)

25. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Yes, I know, but 19mb of differrence? o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.