spywareguard

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by spins4, Feb 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spins4

spins4 Registered Member

When doing a defrag, should spywareguard be disabled or shut down??

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Yes. We've found that there is a chance that SpywareGuard will "wake up" and interrupt a defrag or scandisk operation... It is best to disable SpywareGuard during these operations, just to prevent that.

3. spins4

spins4 Registered Member

Thankyou! You fellas are so quick to respond - I really appreciate all your help and expertise.

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi and thanks, LWM, I think that's news to most of us -- unless, of course, I slept through a lecture somewhere along the line. ;)

When you say "disable", is simply un-ticking all 3 protection modes (temporarily) good enough? Or should the program actually be exited/shut down?

If the latter, can it simply be re-started afterwards with an appropriate shortcut? Or is it better to go the shutdown-restart route?

Thanks and best,
    Mike

5. LowWaterMark

Well, from reports here from some users, it has been found that it can happen so disabling seems best, and it's fairly easy to do.

Frankly, I view disabling and exiting as really a single action... I disabling almost everything on my system when I do chkdsk's and defrag's, but that's just me.

I recommend the full disable / exit process, whether it's fully needed or not:

[​IMG]

It can be fully re-enabled from either the desktop icon or start menu link, which will restore the SG icon to the systray. Then you'd right-click that and re-enable the three tick-marks.

Of course, people should see if it is actually necessary for them to shut it down in the first place. As I said, some people came to this forum and posted that SG was interrupting their defrags, so we recommended disabling it. They did and reported that fixed the problem. But, I'm sure some people don't have to.

6. MikeBCda

Thanks, LWM. No problems here (yet, knock wood) with defrag with both SG and avast running, so I might just leave things the way they are. It's possible, of course, that defrag might run a hair faster for me with one or both of those resident checkers staying out of any "jurisdictional dispute" hassles.

Best,
    Mike

7. silly

silly Guest

I have been using spyguard for some time now and have not seen any logs or pop up telling me that I have been protected.......I am using spybot, spyblaster and zonealarm firewall...spyguard as slowed my computer down and seems to be a resouce hog.....do I realy need it?

Thanks

Rob

8. LowWaterMark

Depending upon your surfing habits, system settings and what types of software you choose to install, you may very well not need SpywareGuard. Not everyone does.

Some people have security settings such that SpywareGuard alerts them frequently to downloaded spyware or browser hijacks. Others install a lot of "free" software and get alerts to the spyware contained within the install kits. But, some people may never see an alert based upon their activities.

You'll have to decide if the resources used and the amount it has done for you (seemingly nothing so far, from what you've said) make SpywareGuard worth your using. It will vary from person to person.

9. silly

silly Guest

Thank you for your fast reply. I guess for now I will use spyguard for a few more weeks and see if does help, if it even stops one spy then thats one spy less that got in!!...Keep up the goodwork and thanks again

Rob

10. MikeBCda

I just played with shutting it down and re-starting, and thought I should expand just a tad on your directions. Maybe this would be obvious to anyone else but me, of course, but it took me a while to figure out what happened. :oops:

When you re-start and enable the three tick-marks again, don't forget to "save settings". If you don't, everything stays disabled, and that's indicated by a significantly modified icon in the tool tray.

11. MikeBCda

Javacool or whoever -

This info in this thread is quite useful, and was new to me as I'd indicated in an earlier reply.

Maybe it would be useful to make it "sticky", or summarize it into a new sticky posting and/or the FAQ's?

Best,
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.