Shell Extension Error

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by hsiegelman, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hsiegelman

hsiegelman Registered Member

I receive the error message: "Communication with %ProductName% kernel failed!" whenever I right click on a file and select Scan in the context menu in order to check its virus status. I am running version 3.0.657.0 on a Vista Home Premium (64 bit) with SP1. My box is an Intel Core2 Quad Q6600.

Anyone have any idea why 1) I am unable to test an individual file without receiving this error message

(Edit: I have discovered the basis for the first problem and solved it. I was using a version of the file manager program called PowerDesk 6.0 to display the files and it has now been replaced by PowerDesk 7.0 and that eliminated the apparent incomparability with Vista and enabled me to test the virus status of files)

and 2) what gives with the reference to %ProductName% (the context menu also lists "Scan with %ProductName%")?

(Edit: I suspect the culprit here is a file called ecmd.exe. In the 64 bit current version of NOD32 that file has no information specified in the 'Product Name' property. I would appreciate if someone can confirm my suspicion.)

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.