error messages

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by liz, Feb 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liz

liz Guest

When I first start up spywareblaster, I continuously get a pop up window asking me to insert the "backup Dell-Installed Program" disk. After clicking cancel I get an "Error message 1706. No valid source could be found for product Backup Dell-Installed Programs . The Windows Installer cannot continue."

Obviously we're working with a Dell computer. I need to find out why this is happening and how to remedy the problem.

Thanks,

Liz

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi liz,

We've seen many similar occurrences like this... The base installer SpywareBlaster is built on often triggers requests for the installation media of previous unsuccessful or corrupt installs. Very often it alerts and asks for the MS Office installation CD, though there have been others.

Many people report that when they give the requested disk, the problem ends up resolved, though in some cases it doesn't help. Whatever file is needed may be found on the media requested and the problem may go away.

We have no other advice than this. The problem occurs 1 out of 1000 installs of SpywareBlaster and we don't know what was wrong that caused the request on these PCs.

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Unfortunately at the moment, as LowWaterMark said, I haven't been able to reproduce the problem in a test setting, or find out exactly what is going wrong. Many other programs report similar errors, so it sounds like a problem with the Windows Installer (which Office is built on also).

The funny thing is, SpywareBlaster doesn't use the Windows Installer at all.

But in any case, do you have that disk? Popping it in may solve the problem completely.

EDIT: And a quick question: What version of Windows are you running? Thanks!

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.