ekern.exe error message

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by CYPRIS, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CYPRIS

CYPRIS Registered Member

Just started getting these when the system boots. If I "Cancel" the system freezes.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2008
  2. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

We had the same problem on three computers on the Network first thing Monday morning just gone. Identical memory addresses as well. In our case, I finally gave up on ESS on our domain and reverted every computer back to EAV. The reinstall rectified the issue.

We haven't had any issues with just EAV 3.0.657 installed.

It wasn't only this issue that forced the decision but after several weeks of dramas, I'd had enough of ESS. We had one day where every single computer on the domain hung at Applying Computer Settings. It took me two hours to get to work that day and in that time, not one computer successfully logged on. Having been down this road, I booted in Safe mode, disabled the ESET service and after logging on, enabled the service. Some time later that day on all computers, a firewall message appeared about the Local Security Authority Process and after accepting everything was fine. I presume a Microsoft update must have changed something but having to do this manually on every computer suggests a major issue with ESS in interactive mode. XP SP3 also causes the same hung on Applying Computer Settings issue.

Your issue was resolved for us by completely reinstalling and deleting all the ESET folders.

EDIT: Removed off topic rant.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  3. CYPRIS

CYPRIS Registered Member

Haven't used ESS, just EAV. I'm using 3.0.642.0. The error messages started about 1 week ago. Haven't made any significant changes to the system. No service packs, MS Hotfixes, etc. Not sure why the error occurs.

I'll give your idea a try and do a complete reinstall of EAV and see how it goes.

4. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

The affected computers were running ESS 3.0.642. No changes were made over the weekend.

EDIT: Apologies about jumping to conclusions. Our error messages were different and the memory addresses were not identical to yours. I thought I'd seen your referenced memory value but they were not even similar. All three of our computers had the following error. ekrn.exe - Application Error. The instruction at "0x044fb2f0" referenced memory at "0x000066a7". The memory could not be "read".

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  5. CYPRIS

CYPRIS Registered Member

Uninstalled ESS 3.0.642 and installed latest version.

Problem solved.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.