Blocking outgoing ports in the Router

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by djg05, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have a query on blocking ports on a Router. In this case it is a Netgear DG834.

If for example, you have a program in windows connecting out on port 100, is that port carried forward so that blocking that port in the router would stop the request. If so, is there some means of chekcing that the rule in the router is working?

TIA

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Of course, outbound is covered by the Default rule which allows all outbound traffic until you add to the outbound firewall rules, these are used to block or allow access by your computer(s) to the Internet. Set up correctly and it will be working - perhaps an application will complain that it cannot connect.

I believe with that router you must choose the correct Service/Application to be covered or add a custom service in Services if the rule is not covered.

3. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks for the reply

I came across this site and wondered if anyone had used it to check the effectiveness of blocking outgoing ports.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.