When I make A Full System scan...

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Teraclips, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teraclips

Teraclips Registered Member

Hi, when I make a full system scan it cannot scan certain files, the log say it cannot openned it, etc. When I did full system scans with Norton 360 it scanned 300,000+ files and with ESET SS just like 200,000 files sometimes just 199k+. Can someone tell me whats the problem?

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

You will always see files that could not be scanned because they are locked.

These files are either password protected archives, system files that are in use, or encrypted files, etc...

This is normal for all scanners, but Norton just doesn't tell you about it.

Also, you could scan your computer with a dozen different scanners and they will report a different number of files scanned. So, take this number with a grain of salt. ;)

And, double check your settings in NOD32 and make sure you have it selected to scan every file type. In advanced setup, click on "Real time file system protection" on the left. Make sure everything is selected that you want scanned. Click the Threatsense "Setup" button and make sure the options under there meet your requirements as well.

HTH

3. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hi,

An file that's in use or "open" can't be tampered with by another application.

When NOD32 can't scan a file it reports it. Norton 360 can't scan those "open" files either but they might not mention it.

The total number of files scanned will depend on the profile being used.

Thank you,
    BFG

4. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hey Capp,

I'm glad we had the same answer. :)

BFG

5. Teraclips

Ok, thank you CAPP and BFG. and yeah I did that I checked to scan everything but well as long ESET detects virus b4 they do any harm Im in peace.

6. Capp

Capp Registered Member

No prob.

Keep in mind, there is no AV that detects 100% of all threats. NOD32, imho, is the best on the market though.

I've been using it and selling it for years and I've never personally seen an instance where it didn't catch something before it infected a system.

7. Teraclips

Well thank you for your time.
    Case closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.