The Reincarnation of sygate firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mr mister, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr mister

mr mister Registered Member

2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Why does this not look right?

3. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Well FortKnox firewall looks very much like Sygate Firewall and may even be using the technology i am not sure,

But don't it just make you happy when someone uses CAPS to show how much he likes / or sells this firewall ^^

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Yup, somehow it makes me question if the person really knows what he is talking about when he even doesnt know about basic netiquette. Is he competent enough to recommend Firewalls?
    It certainly doesnt make the product look good. Hopefully it is just an over enthusiastic home user and not the marketing department ;)

5. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Happy user I'm guessing as the OP previous posts are about a range of topics.

Screenshots look ok, the manual too. Says it supports Vista.

The site doesn't appear to have a comparison between the free product offered and the paid version (29.95).

Must be ok as the 'office girl' seems to be using it.

6. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I am running it right now. The GUI sometimes was a bit slow to reply, but overall, it's nice. It is CERTAINLY inspired from Sygate, no doubt about that.

It is also behaving like Sygate with p2p (2 processes 22 (GUI) +7MB RAM, CPU 1-5%).

It does have some basic application control, as it asked my if it was ok for Rocket Dock to launch Opera.

This as first impressions. Now i must see if i can make the CPU usage go down (disabling some logging maybe. BTW, there are the logs divided in Traffic, Security, System and Packet like in Sygate).

One observation. If you use the basic application control for connecting to internet, it seems that automatically the process takes server rights too, cause Emule only asked my once for permission. In Sygate, you could change this by removing the tick from the "act as server" box. Here i don't see any possibility of changing it.

There is though the "advanced" mode for making rules, where you can control things better. Here is the window:

adv.png

I think for someone behind a router, this could be a great firewall! If it wasn't for the higher CPU usage, i would gladly drop my beloved Kerio 2 for this one...Well, i think... I want to see its stability too.

EDITED: in order to correct number of processes.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  7. Fuzzfas

Disabling logging does reduce CPU usage to 0-2% under heavy p2p. Which is comparable to ZAF. Not too bad.

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I am under the impression that the 'free' version is a temporary trial version.

Chinese language available ? I guess it has Chinese coders ? Call me prejudiced, but for security software I wouldn't be looking to China.

WHOis information points to Czechia or Slovakia.

By all means, give it a try, but I won't buy it any time soon ;)

9. Fuzzfas

I tried to set the clock forward by some months hoping that the trial period will expire, but it didn't happen. But, i think this shows what the full version will give you once the trial period is over:

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/4152/50814868fr9.png

10. Fuzzfas

Yes, after 30 days it is downgraded to a "limited free version". Or so it says...

It's from Slovakia allright.

I don't think i will buy it either, but i think it's great for outbound protection behind a router. It's pretty light specially if you don't p2p and very simple.

11. egghead

egghead Registered Member

15 days according to the manual

12. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Just tried to run it on a partition with Vista home premium 32 bit.

Does not work on my rig:
    *tried to connect to Wilders, got BSOD and system reboot (2 times in a row)
    *tried to uninstall the proggie. When I clicked the start button > BSOD and a reboot.

More users have problems with disrupted internet connection: see download.com

Before trialing this proggie take care that you have an image of your drive.

13. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Offtopic: you might be interested that the Chinese are beginning to shun Western security software as well, for perhaps the same reasons (if I'm guessing correctly as to what your reasons are).

The Chinese aren't the only one playing that game. Just some food for thought.

14. Fuzzfas

China is an emergine giant, in everything. And just to remind 2 pieces of software that here have had many fans, Power Shadow and EQSecure.

I think it only a matter of time before China shows its muscles in the software sector too and given their competitive prices, i think they will give a run for their money to the "usual" software developers.

The Chinese are like their antivirus... Rising...

No problems here with FortKnox, other than the fact that i would like it to eat less CPU with p2p, which is probably the reason why i will go back to Kerio 2. :D Other than that, i like it a lot. It's like Sygate indeed!

15. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

I tested the pro version when it was launched ,and it crashed while i opened strong dc.I'm used to this type of things i wouldn't throw all the rocks at the firewall,it's not the 1st software,to do this on vista on it's 1st release.

16. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I tested this firewall quite a bit about a year ago.
    Worked great, except the payware thing.
    Mrk

17. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

When I'm in the mood, I will try it too. I'm still not happy with my firewall.
    It's hard for me to understand these firewalls mainly due to my stupidity and lazyness. :)

18. Hefaistos22

Hefaistos22 Registered Member

Dows this firewall works fine with nod v3??cause i know that Nod bypasses Sygate firewall:(and this firewall looks like sygate..:-/

19. mr mister

mr mister Registered Member

i installed it recently
    i'm also using nod32 v3
    i'm very satisfied with this firewall

20. noway

noway Registered Member

DANGER to local proxy users: This firewall has the same local proxy leak that Sygate had. So if you run a local proxy like Proxomitron, don't belive the system tray icon tooltip: "Fortknox Personal Firewall 2008-Your PC is in safe hands!" This is not safe hands for me.

Also, with the GUI closed, it's using 55 MB RAM.

21. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

This is from the guy that once wrote that Sygate guide that is in my signature.
    I cared about my security and all that stuff.

It has now gone ridiculous if I may say so fellow users (I am not in the security habit anymore, lol).

I think Sygate 5.5 was a good firewall, still is I think. About the time I wrote this page:
    http://www.kotiposti.net/string/SPF_eng/SPF_rulemaking.html
    I had already used the older kerio 2.1.5 for some time. But wanted to to write something you fellow users might find interesting and hopefully also some to learn.

I found some faults in kerio 2.1.5 that are there and it is not perfect. But I tired and stopped posting here and now I dont know about security anymore, lol, much. Still using it. Might install my SPF free back again, never used the Pro!

To my constant amusements are people who complain about that Sunbelt scientology product. Perhaps I should not have saied that, and now it is good, but I doubt. And stupid scientology, well, I dont think it made Tom the ****ing Cruise any bigger?

I got tired also of one guy here who contacted me and then boasted how good it is to have a router (since I have never had one).

My security today is just that kpf 2.15 some Spywareblaster kill bits, Avira AntiVir, old ProcessGuard free (out of habit using it so long and propably I should uninstall it but reluctant), and running my browser and some others inside Sandboxie.

Lately when AntiVir came with a WebGuard, I did not bother to configure my firewall just allowed enough to let it work, lol.

I miss some good people from gone Sygate forum for sure, RedJack and that guy who was always in jail too, Space some one. And a few others.

Not sure if I will post to you paranoids again ;)

Jarmo

EDIT
    There is always an edit and I have no idea what this firewall posted in the link is.

22. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

Here are some screenshots of the Fort Knox Firewall "aka" the new sygate...
    This is like Comodo firewall version 1.... give it a couple of years to fix all the bugs and it will become a serious firewall! (But its not quite ready for prime time yet!)

NOTE: Colours in screenshots are wrong!

Attached Files:

23. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I have sygate pro and used it before i went to vista ,and i in my mind ,theres more than just a similarity between the two.Has sygates engine been "developed" into this with a new gui?.
    ellison

24. Fuzzfas

IMHO, the local proxy vulnerability that was reported being in Fort Knox too, can't be a coincidence! It IS Sygate! Norton sold the engine to them in a quiet deal nobody learnt of? Probably!

25. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Looool... Comodo takes the lead probably for a long period.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.