Vista & XP on same PC

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by deanmartin, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

I've had my Dell inspiron with Vista for about 2 month's now, and just discovered you can install XP with it, that would be great so i could play all my XP version game's. My local Computer shop said it would be 2 partion's (My 500 hard drive split in half) and cost me $75 to have it done. My question is with people that have done this. Is it more trouble than what it's worth just to play my xp game's. Any feedback Appreciated. (40 and still a gamer LoL).

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

If you have a copy of XP, you can probably do it yourself for WAY less than $75.

I've read some posts where it's said it can be done.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

4. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

Thank's guy's, and just to play it safe i'll spend the $75.;)

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Weird splitting disk in half for just XP !?!

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

probaly just easier for the computer companie to do:D :D
    hopefully the OP can surgest say a 20gb partition for xp,say 70gb partition for xp and have the rest for data and games.

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Your suggestions are much more efficient !:thumb: :thumb:

8. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Apparently the author of this article doesn't know that Vista has a built-in partition manager.

9. paroots

paroots Registered Member

I've taken an alternate path. I just switched from XP to Vista, but occassionally I have to go back due to hardware compatibility issues under Vista. I simply have an XP and a Vista image. When I want to switch back I simply restore my XP image and <10 minutes later I'm good to go. The fact that the image is for the partition containing the OS and Programs only and a separate partition contains my data makes it easy ie, both XP and Vista access the same data which doesn't change as a function of which OS I'm running. It takes <10 minutes to restore XP and I haven't wasted any hard drive space storing 2 OS's. Of course, to do this one would need both OS's. I purcahsed my Windows Vista Home Premium (full version) for $75 on eBay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.