Rustock C no longer a myth, no longer a threat

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Meriadoc, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

If Kaspersky detects it, will F-Secure AV for workstatione V7? Doed f-Secure still use the Kaspersky engine?

2. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

I am not sure about F secure detecting an active infection. According to the KL virus lab, only Kaspersky V2009 and above will be able to detect and cure an active infection whilst installed (users of other versions will need to use a rescue cd to scan offline)....so I am guessing fsecure will flag dormant infection but no idea about live infection....because they use an older engine and not KL's antirootkit module.... unless fsecure have coded their own antirootkit module to detect and cure it specifically.

3. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

I think Baz can correct me if wrong but it is new Kasp technology coded into latest version that's doing the trick as far as i'm aware f-secure does not have this engine/capability yet...

None that i am aware of yet.

But that said most of them know the Trojan-downloader.Agent that imports ntldrbot:thumb:

4. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Think I will install KAV then

5. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Hehe, fully agree. PrevX has imo strong misleading-antispy tendencies (and no real av), Gmer.dll is a dangerous app, yes... lool

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

F-Secure has BlackLight, so most likely the 2009 version will indeed detect and remove a lot of active rootkits.....

Well, this 2009 version will be interesting IMO ;)

7. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

<sarcastic>

Yeah, I fully agree :rolleyes: :D

</sarcastic>

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have imformed f-secure.
    im sure they can get some samples from kasperky and with time detect it when active and cure it.

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

@fcukdat
    So you would say this is incorrect:
    Or rather, like you always said, you allow it to execute first, then while 'loading' the rootkit, the above programs are bypassed?

You allowed first the dropper to execute, and showed us the dropper connecting out, easily detected by Kerio as it is a direct connection.
    Then what happens? Another executable is to be allowed?

Thank you in advance!

10. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

11. fcukdat

lol Nick might have the 1 or even possibly the 2nd broken driver that were doing the rounds when DR Web made its PR advert announcing the arrival of Rustock C...
    SAS scan of driver md5 00430470e6754f082b6c2c19d022caea0e6754f082b6c2c19d022caea now= 0 point.

I tested SAS versus loaded infection covered on last page and it did not detect any of the 3 files involved(Agent dropper,Downloader.Agent& ntldrbot infected agent driver) at time of testing....i even custom scanned the 3 files 5mins ago with current def set and still no flags...bear in mind these files were put up in various distribution points for vendors/researchers the day before i posted data here:thumb:

FYI point Nick in this direction...the files are up at MR(6/5) ...have been for some days now and dumped driver is up on Malware listserve(6/5):thumb:

Good luck unpacking it and repairing it tho....it appears not to many vendors/experts have made the grade yet;)

12. fcukdat

Well got to be honest i can niether agree or disagree with that statement except all those things would foil the downloader.agent in its tracks!

I had stripped out of memory my regular toolkit in the session where i ran the dropper for the downloader agent. These agents are designed to monitor what is installed,system info etc inorder to report data back home=whether or not the compromised machine is a suitable victim;)

Well and hour into that session and had bsod which restarted the PC and my tools sprang back into life back hence captured outbound traffic...so my answer is i have no idea what happens,series of system events when ntldrbot is imported nor what it will/wont bypass.

13. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

@fcukdat

To be honest, this is all beyond me. Either SAS detects it or it does not. I felt their answer was vague so thats why I tried to pin them down.

I will point the thread over there to here and see what they say.

14. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Ade - I assume these are all being submitted by you through the MIRT initiative over at CastleCops?

15. fcukdat

It does not then..quite streight forward.

I don't beieve Nick has done his homework on this one..that said it is so not widely dispersed that it really would be low priority for most of the vendors to go after this bot.There are 1000's of more widely spread bots out there to worry about;)

16. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Ade - we have more than "done our homework". We detect and remove many variants of the "Rustock" family of trojans and well of millions other other threats that are in active distribution. You used to submit us samples, but stopped for whatever reason - the only people you are hurting is the users out there using SUPERAntiSpyware who may not be protected against some of these trojans, malware and spyware that you are harvesting and locating.

I will pull these latest off the various places you are posting them, but why not just submit them through MIRT?

Again, if you, or any user has threats that we don't detect, we are more than happy to analyze and process the threats so they are removed!

17. fcukdat

The dumped driver was uploaded =6/5

No need to upload the dropper for the downloader agent or the downloader agent because one had 32/32 hits@ VT and the other had 29/32 hits at VT upload although i put both up at the *other* forum in the topic i made there on 6/5

The original broken driver released by Dr Web labs to virutotal upload
    00430470e6754f082b6c2c19d022caea0e6754f082b6c2c19d022caea
    was uploaded to MIRT>>>May 7th.
    http://www.castlecops.com/t221308-Rustock_C_Win32_NtldrBot.html

But i'm getting deja Vu here...have we not had simmilar exchange back a few weeks ago in this very forum:cautious:

18. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Didnt think it did as fluffed the answer.

19. fcukdat

Ok Nick stop painting me bad afterall it was me and my bro who goaded Dr Webs hand on VT upload to get the driver out to the bigger research/vendor community as a whole;)

SAS record versus Rustock trojans is excellent,you had the first botkiller(AS/AT) that took down B series and all credit for that to you and your staff:thumb:

That said there is very distinct line between lzx32.sys & huy32.sys and ntldrbot( C series) which is file infector rootkit that merges with boot loading drivers...like i said to you a few weeks ago you will need to code new module ala MBR rooter detection;)

20. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

No one is painting you bad Ade. I (and my research team) fully understand the differences between the threats - remember I have a personal background of over 25 years of professional software development and over 8 years in the security industry/segment analyzing threats - so please drop the condescending statements regarding my understanding of the threats.

21. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Lot of time.. but in relation to the age of the universe only a snippet.:D

22. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Actually much less than a snippet compared to the universe :)

23. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

It should not go without saying that lots of people have plenty of years on a job but that experience does not necessarily translate into expertise. Likewise, plenty of young talent, new to a particular line of work, can outshine the guys who have been in it for ages.

24. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

You certainly don't know me very well then! :) I am in no way saying I know more than "anyone" or "everyone", but in the software development and security fields I would put our team, talent, dedication and service up against any challenge presented to us - meaning, we work very hard to fully understand, disect and diagnose every threat we come across. It's reallly the only way to properly protect our users. Malware is a tough "beast" to fight day in and day out.

25. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

So Ade why did you stop submitting samples to SAS? Maybe you and Nick could be on good grounds again, just a thought is all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.