Process Lasso

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by 19monty64, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

With the GAOTD offerings of late, it got me re-thinking ram-optimizers and their statements of "giving you more memory." I know that sounds ridiculous and someone had stated that XP already does a great job of managing memory. What about tweaking with those settings? I stumbled across this and it's documentation here. From their site "Process Lasso is a unique new technology intended to automatically adjust the allocation of CPU cycles so that system responsiveness is improved in high-load situations. It does this by temporarily lowering the priorities of processes that are consuming too many CPU cycles, there-by giving other processes a chance to run if they are in need. This process priority optimization is useful for both single and multi-core processors. No longer will a single process be able to bring your system to a virtual stall." Whether or not it works, it was at least an interesting read. Any userso_O Any thoughtso_O

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Ive tried it in the past and it works.

Personally I think a better solution is to not have programs that hog the CPU :D

3. 19monty64

I have only one "hog" lol and it's one of my fave pc games. It sometimes has problems with the AV, and I read in the help-file that they recommend shutting off active protectiono_O The "Lasso" idea of prioritizing the .exe's sounded better than disabling AV & TF... P.S.-thanks, WSFuser, for this and the Royale-theme fix...

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  4. L815

L815 Guest

I wonder if it works with Vista. I tried it in XP and noticed minimal if not much performance gain.

5. 19monty64

Yes..."The x64 build is ONLY for those running x64 versions of Windows (i.e. Windows Vista x64). Don't worry, if you pick the wrong one the installer will tell you."...from there site. I'm more interested in their "governor" reigning in other apps. The other day, AntiVir checked on an update, which shut the game down (I thought) until I X'ed the avnotify, and the game popped back up full screen. (Apparently my Ferrari was stuck in the sand-trap the whole time, continued the game but had already been lapped...) ThreatFire also briefly shut the game down because of an "options-save". Of course AVG told me that I had a trojan. (Dam those registration-trojans...)

6. 19monty64

Apparently, the pc-game wasn't the only hog. A certain security app. that I use(d) was a bigger culprit than I thought. I used Lasso for a day and a half to log all events. I agree with the idea of not having a "CPU-hog" on board, as it fought against any attempts to be limited in it's CPU-usage, and uninstalling was the only option...

7. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

This program appears to be an automated way to manage process priorities, it not a memory manager.

8. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

I found no performance gain whatsoever and hesitate to say this-but only helps with a system that could --ahem -use a bit more horsepower.
    An adequately powered system wouldnt really need it in my experience.

9. 19monty64

I never said it was a memory manager...

10. 19monty64

Who said anything about performance gain, and ~ahem~ my pc is not what's lacking here and I didn't need to OC to get that performance. CPU-spikes have been a problem of late. By using ProcessLasso, I was able to monitor and log the CPU-hogs and then prioritize their usage of it. This was actually a last ditch effort to keep my AV and HIPS of choice. All this was to no avail. There have been a lot of version-upgrades of security-apps. lately and some of them have become buggy-bloat-ware in my opinion. The only "bloat" on my pc now is the keyboard-operator. LOL

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

There's the other which i preferred, Process Tamer, on Donationcoder.

In the end, it's like WSFuser says, avoiding the hogs :)
    If you can't, i think PT is a valid solution.

Edit: i forgot, using these on security programs is probably not the best idea.

12. 19monty64

You got that right! If it had been any other software I'd have dumped them sooner. The only solution was to get rid of those "hogs", and that meant finding a different security solution. It's silly being attached to software, but even they deserve a 2nd chance. I never should have gave them a 3rd though. Lesson learned...

13. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Glad its working well for you:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.