100% CPU Usage

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Daegalus, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daegalus

Daegalus Registered Member

Im running NOD32 AV 3.0.650. With the way its working now, I need to have Real-Time Filesystem protectoin off in order to even use my computer.

My computer has 4 gigs of ram, and a Core 2 Duo T7500, running Vista x64 Ultimate.

It seems something to do with the Real-Time scanning when its one slowing down the computer immensely. I see a LOT of memory faults in my monitor for ekrn.exe and the CPU is either at a constant 100% or if i leave it on overnight or so, it goes to spiking to 100% every 5 seconds, and keeping my computer at 50% cpu usage, while with it off, my cpu usage is like 10-20%.

Ive googled and searched, and I can not find a fix for it. Ive tried turning off Advanced Heuristics and didn't help any.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Im running this same version on a desktop running XP 32bit sp2 and it runs like a dream. SO i believe it might be something with vista.

2. e36

e36 Registered Member

I have the same version running perfectly on a Vista Home Premium PC with a 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo and 2GB of RAM.

I would suspect some other application is causing NOD32 to be overly active.

3. piranha

piranha Registered Member

Daegalus

Do you use default settings or BlackSpears suggested settings ?

If you do a search here, ekrn.exe 100% cpu usage got several thread here.

4. Daegalus

Nope, Tried Blackspears settings, removed all Adv. Heuristic settings on all sections, and its still the same. I checked my drive for crazy huge files, and the only ones i found were Data Archives for games, which are supposed to be big.

I am actually tempted ot see if a 32bit version would do any better. Since it could be a 64bit version bug. No clue, but I can't do much when its taking up 70-100% CPU usage on, and 1% usage while off.

5. piranha

downgrade to v2.7 :doubt:

6. BedreAntivirus

BedreAntivirus Registered Member

7. viruscraft

viruscraft Registered Member

To disable advanced heuristic for newly created and modified files is not wise as it will greatly decrease the detection rate.

8. BedreAntivirus

BedreAntivirus Registered Member

but still when it is the problem, do you prefer pc slowdown aka 100% cpu for 10min etc on big files?
    and you can still do full system scan with everything on ;)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  9. Daegalus

nope, didnt work. Guess I will downgrade to 2.7. I forget, did it have a 64bit version?

10. Daegalus

Ok, this is getting weird. I installed 2.7 and im having the same problem..... Is there some setting in Vista thats like bottlenecking harddrive read/write? or something? I have a 7200rpm drive, so i doubt its the drive.

11. piranha

downgrade to XP !!! :rolleyes: :doubt: :cool: :D :argh:

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Vista is not always the problem. Vista gives me no problems at all on two computers.

13. piranha

I know. Just joking.....

14. Daegalus

I personally have 0 problems with vista, except this, and i have no real clue on why this is happening since it was like this since my clean install of Vista. So either its something in Ultimate, my Lenovo ThinkVantage stuff for the laptop, or with my hardware. Which really sucks, I love NOD32, but this might force me to use a different antivirus, since right now, its like i have 0 protection.

15. Workin4God

Workin4God Registered Member

I have the same issue with XP SP2. I have Eset installed on 45 workstations, and only one of them has this resource hog. Every morning when it is started, 99-100% system resources taken up for 6-10 minutes. However, when I reboot during this Ekrn problem, it works perfectly. I have uninstalled it, cleaned up windows files, and reinstalled it. Removed all Adv. Heuristic settings on all sections, and its still the same.
    AMD 3800+
    1.5 GB ram
    XP 32bit SP2 (tried SP3 RC - no difference)
    NOD32 AV 3.0.621

16. piranha

I have this problem too with XP. V3 works as a proxy, seems dont work with some pc for unknown reasons....

I downgrade to v2.7, works very well with XP

Daegalus

Seriously, downgrade to v2.7, will work with Vista. You wont find high quality protection with low foot print elsewhere, , stay with Eset. When this v3 bug will be resolve, just upgrade....

17. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Is it actually the real-time protection responsible for this behavior? For you to verify this, disable automatic real-time file protection startup and restart the computer. Let us know if it makes a difference.

18. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

Could this be an issue with 64 bit?? I just re-installed version 3.xxx and noticed that, with the tight Blackspear settings, I was using a lot of CPU cycles, too. I think especially in web surfing the content is screened very finely.

SamS

19. kerframil

kerframil Registered Member

Well, I just sent a message to ESET's support team regarding the topic. At the time, I wasn't aware of the existence of the forums. Now that I am, I'm posting here to report that I too am apparently experiencing this problem.

For the record, here is the body of the message:
    I must say that it's rather disappointing that the new version of NOD32 resembles Vista in more ways that one ... :cautious:

I'm running the Business Edition of NOD32 on the 32-bit edition of Windows XP SP2 so it would appear to be neither Vista or x86_64 specific. I'll play around with the configuration options (which are currently at their defaults) to see if there is anything specific that triggers the problem. If I figure anything out, or if ESET get back to me, I'll post here again.

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello kerframil.

Be sure not to post any private messages without permission from the sender. Thanks.

21. SamSpade

I think he's just re-posting his own letter to eset.

SS

|||

22. SamSpade

I'd bet it's the web access filtering that it is doing. straining megabytes through an eye-dropper would slow things to a crawl.

23. krypton_harsh

krypton_harsh Registered Member

hey friends...
    i am usisng Windows Vista x64 Sp1 and i dont seem to be having any problems with eset cpu usage...
    it may be a isssue with some thing else.... try upgrading u'r system to sp1 and update u'r drivers

my cpu config is... amd 7000+ / msi sli platinum / 4gb / 320gb / nviida 8600gt
    keep posting

24. kerframil

kerframil Registered Member

I am the sender. As such, I granted myself permission to post it.

25. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

I think he means replies from ESET.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.