Boot Mode Files & Folders Restore: PDF file corrupt and unreadable 2

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Clive555, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clive555

Clive555 Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=145505&highlight=Boot+Mode+Files+Folders+Restore%3A+file+corrupt+unreadable

I am sorry to start a new topic on an old thread, but trying to post a reply to the original thread returns a message that the thread is too old to reply to.

I see the last post on this thread was March 31st 2007 and Acronis last replied some time before that. Was this ever resolved?

I am having a problem that I believe is probably to do with teh same issue. I am running TI V9 Build 3,666. Using Rescue Media that I created, I used "restore files and folders" to recover a few files that were inadvertently deleted. I restored the whole backup of Drive C onto Drive C.

When I was finished, I went to delete the restored folder, called "Drive C" and it keeps telling me that the folder is corrupt and unreadable.

I cannot go an change permissions on it, as when I call up the properties on it, explorer bombs out and closes the window. If I mouse over the folder in explorer, the same thing happens.

I have tried to boot in safe mode and delete from the command prompt with no success.

Is the only way to resolve this to do it the way that Cequi detailed or is there an easier way?

Many thanks

2. fyz

fyz Registered Member

Hi,

I think you can try a utility called Advanced PDF Repair to repair your PDF file. It works rather well for my corrupt PDF files. Its web address is http://www.datanumen.com/apdfr/ Hope this helps.

Alan

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Clive555,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please be aware that the problem in question was fixed starting with build 4940 of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home.

Unfortunately, the only reliable method to remove those files discovered so far is the one described by Cequi (or a variant of that method described in post #76 of the same thread). It's also possible to delete, then restore the entire partition, if you have a full partition image.

Please notice that the problem only occurs when restoring a certain type of files/folders to NTFS partition using earlier builds of Acronis Bootable Rescue Media. It does not happen when restoring the same files/folder from within Windows.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. Clive555

Thanks for the responses. The files that are corrupt are jpg files.

All I want to do is delete them, along with their containing folder. Would Advanced PDF Repair do this?

5. Clive555

Hello Marat

I have given your answer some thought and have a couple of questions for you and an observation...

1) Is there a free upgrade path from the version 9 that I purchased from you in good faith, to correct this issue?

2) If this is an issue that you are aware of, why is it that Acronis never contacted me to warn me about it? It is, clearly, a significant bug.

Surely if your dev chaps have released software that causes this issue, they should have worked on a fix, rather than send customers to someone else's site on the advice of another user on this site?

6. Clive555

Hello?

7. Acronis Support

Hello Clive555,

We may recommend you to submit a request to our Support Team with a detailed description of the problem and a link to this thread. We will do our best to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. Treogen

Treogen Registered Member

Marat,

the problem is back. I have just tested with TI 10 build 4942 vs. TI 11 build 8078 and the most recent build 8105. While everything is fine with build 4942, I get corrupted files on NTFS partitions when "restore files and folders" to a new location using the rescue media CD from build 8078 and 8105. In my case the corrupted files that can't be opened/deleted after restore are mp3 files.
    This is very disappointing because I'd like to use a newer version of TI but it seems I have to stick with the old version until this problem is fixed (again).

9. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If you register your TI 9 with it's serial number on the Acronis web site, you can download the TI 9 Build 4942 version. There's no charge for new builds of the same version.

I suggest you uninstall your current TI 9 version before installing the new version.

It would be nice if Acronis notified users when broadly experienced bugs were identified, but it is not something they or most other software developers do.

10. Acronis Support

Hello Treogen,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I have just tested that with Acronis Bootable Rescue Media build 8105, and the files restored correctly. Could you please collect some more information to let us investigate the problem thoroughly?

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please clarify, what choices exactly do you make during backup and restore wizards?

Please also collect an (uncorrupted) example of file that gets corrupted after you run the operation, if possible.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

11. Treogen

Treogen Registered Member

Hello Marat,

I was able to isolate the problem a little bit. I'll attach a very small tib archive to this post that contains only a single mp3 file.

IMPORTANT: The attached file is actually a zip archive of the tib archive. I had to rename it to test.log because I can't attach a zip file. Please rename the file to test.zip and unzip to get the test.tib file. Here is the file View attachment test.log .

If you restore test.tib with the 8.105 rescue media to a NTFS partition you should get a corrupted file that can't be accessed nor deleted.
    The archive was created with version 8.105 (german version) - standard options and no compression.
    Please use "restore files and folders" to a new location and keep the complete directory path.
    This will create the following path: Drive(E)\Audio\Hörbücher & Hörspiele\Perry Rhodan\Eins A Medien\Negasphäre - Zyklus 35 (-)\2400 Zielzeit\Tracks\01 Titel - CD 1.mp3

I suppose the german umlauts, blanks and brackets in the path might be causing the problem. Although this is a correct path in NTFS and I have no problems to access the original file on my harddisk. I too have no problem when I restore this file with the windows version of TI, it's only the rescue media that causes the trouble.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Treogen

12. Acronis Support

Hello Treogen,

Thank you for the provided information. I have forwarded it to our experts, and it seems that our Development Team has created the fix for the problem. It will be included into the next version of Acronis True Image. We are sorry, but the exact time-frame isn't defined yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

13. Clive555

A report back from my last post... I decided to do what Marat suggested and posted to the support team, linking to this thread, to find out where to download a bug-free version that would not create this issue. This I did on the 20th June and received an automatic confirmation of receipt from their server.

Five days later, on the 25th June, I received a "We would like to apologize for not replying to your request within 48 hours of receiving it" and since then, have not heard anything further from Acronis.

I am beginning to wonder if there is a software 'fix' for this issue and if Acronis are at all concerned about customer service, or satisfaction.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  14. Acronis Support

Hello Clive555,

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out how the investigation of your issue is going.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

15. farmboy

farmboy Registered Member

I also restored some files to a different location using True Image 11, build 8053, and found that I could not delete them because the file or directory was corrupted and unreadable. Acronis support had me do the following,

Boot your computer from Acronis Bootable Rescue CD,
    Choose "Backup" and proceed with any backup parameters till Backup Archive Location screen,
    From below, choose "Files of type" - All files,
    Find the necessary file in the left pane and choose Delete (marked with a red cross).

This worked for me. After rebooting back to windows the folders and files where gone.

16. Clive555

Hi Marat - it is Acronis #1547309

17. Clive555

Farmboy - thanks - that's really useful feedback. I will give that a try.

18. Clive555

Gee Marat - this is becoming a real tedious process.

Answer ASAP, please.

19. Acronis Support

Hello Clive555,

Please check your Private Messages.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.