andLinux: Run Linux natively in Windows

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by markymoo, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

andLinux is a complete Ubuntu Linux system running seamlessly in Windows 2000 based systems (2000, XP, 2003, Vista; 32-bit versions only).

andLinux uses coLinux as its core which is confusing for many people. coLinux is a port of the Linux kernel to Windows. Although this technology is a bit like running Linux in a virtual machine, coLinux differs itself by being more of a merger of Windows and the Linux kernel and not an emulated PC, making it more efficient.

http://www.andlinux.org/index.php

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  2. Beto

Beto Registered Member

This I have to try :sounds almost to good to be true.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Looks crazy ... but not a bad idea.
    I'll check it out.
    Mrk

4. InVitroVeritas

InVitroVeritas Registered Member

Hi,

I have been passively testing it over the last fortnight, that is, while not running benchmarks or advanced tests (which I honestly wouldn't dare yet with my still limited linux knowledge), so far it's pretty useful for me to test some linux video and/or subtitle softwares inside windows.

I have to say that it works well and actually shows smoother performances than any light linux under virtual machine that I had tried so before.

5. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Is it like Wubi? If it can run the latest ubuntu with the Cube n stuff it would be cool.
    Will try.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I don't see the point.

LiveCD seems a better solution.

7. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Been using colinux for a couple weeks. It works in ring 0 by constantly switching between host and colinux, some neat software. Users may like the idea of working in Windows and surfing in Linux.

8. InVitroVeritas

InVitroVeritas Registered Member

Meriadoc beats me in giving you an exemple. Besides surfing, the point is just similar to using a VM-linux : among other things it allows one to use windows AND linux softwares in the same session, without a reboot. With LiveCD that's not so easy.

And as for the differences over a full linux Virtual Machine : slightly faster, simpler to configure.

Also, I found AndLinux allowed me at least to run some cygwin reluctant applications on my windows machine, and without far less tweakings.

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

The alternative is: VirtualBox, with seamless integration.
    Just select Machine - Seamless Mode, or press the Host key + L.

Done :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.