Avira Free not Updating....

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bgfalconboy, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgfalconboy

bgfalconboy Registered Member

This has been happening for several days now. I don't whats the deal. Their servers way too busy or something?

2. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

That would be a good possibility :)
    It is usually like that after a major release.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I couldn't even download the latest version of Avira. Maybe the whole world is downloading Avira and that is probably the reason, the server is too busy.

4. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

The servers are too busy accordind to the moderators on their forum.They suggest later at night during this period,but it's alredy 02:20 in germany,so who knows.They said they've upgraded their free servers ,but probably with this release the nr of users of free version also increased.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I switched to the free version on Tuesday after too many problems with Premium. I got one update automatically during Germany's sleeping hours. Then last night, during Germany's daytime when I tried a manual "start update" because I could see there were three more VDF's since the one I had, I could not update. It went from server to server (8 of them) for twenty minutes and when I went to abort I got a popup warning not to abort because the update contained extremely important program update. Well, I never got the update.

Today, again during Germany's sleep time, the automatic update went fine but there was no Program update just 4 VDF.

For some strange reason, the free version had checked use a proxy! That was part of the problem when I couldn't get any update. Both times it updated automatically, the update has been a direct connection but when I try to update from "start update" on the GUI, it reverts to using a proxy and I have to go and change it to direct update.

6. bgfalconboy

bgfalconboy Registered Member

I was finally able to update last night. It was really slow but it did finally update the new definitions. I hope it won't always be slow like it was last night cuz it usually takes a mere 3 secs to download the file instead of about 2 mins last night.

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

It wasn't just VDF but a new engine and a bunch of other files so it would take longer regardless of the state of the servers. I just got it a few minutes ago.

8. Nike_P

Nike_P Registered Member

i suggest you should contact the Avira support about this issue and let them fix this huge issue for everyone.
    I've heard alot of people had this problem.

9. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Its probably beacause the paid servers had the most attention,

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I finally could download, update and run the new "Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus v8.1.00.295" on my scanner-free system/data partition.

Scanner report :
    -----------------------------------------
    Starting master boot sector scan:
    Master boot sector HD0
    [INFO] No virus was found!
    Master boot sector HD1

Start scanning boot sectors:
    Boot sector 'C:\'
    Boot sector 'D:\'

Starting to scan the registry.
    The registry was scanned ( '35' files ).

Starting the file scan:

Begin scan in 'C:\' <System Partition>
    C:\pagefile.sys
    [WARNING] The file could not be opened!
    Begin scan in 'D:\' <Data Partition>
    D:\Software5 - To Keep\Prevx1\InstallPREVX102000223.exe
    [WARNING] No further files can be extracted from this archive. The archive will be closed

End of the scan: zondag 20 april 2008 12:36
    Used time: 15:43 min

The scan has been done completely.

4478 Scanning directories
    244052 Files were scanned
    0 viruses and/or unwanted programs were found
    0 Files were classified as suspicious:
    0 files were deleted
    0 files were repaired
    0 files were moved to quarantine
    0 files were renamed
    2 Files cannot be scanned
    244052 Files not concerned
    2104 Archives were scanned
    2 Warnings
    0 Notes
    -------------------------------------------
    Not sure if I'm malware-free, but I am according Avira and that is a good indication.
    Then I removed Avira to keep my system scanner-free. :)

11. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I have several family member machines that I keep maintained this is not a good thing. They are reporting to me they can not get their updates either. I installed ver. 8 just now and it did not get it's update either. It timed out as well. This is not good as I can not hang around to "Germany sleep time" to make sure they get their updates. :p

Oh well if it keeps up I'll have to move them on to something else. :(

12. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

I think patience is the best key here Mecurie, Avira is not doing it's job, but they have prepared a brand new software, which may have overloaded the servers.
    I am sure Avira will protect you sufficiently enough until they get it fixed.

13. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I just got it. Wow! It was 11 files, there in may be the problem; new version and large file updates just over loading. I think this will settle down over time.

I've been away for a while good to be back. :)

14. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Personally I dont' think this is unusual for Avira. I tried their free version before and often found that it did not update unless I forced a manual update. I then switched to a premium version for 6 months and especially towards the end the same thing happened. While they advertise several updates per day, I often found the program had not downloaded these for several days. I cannot be bothered to check on my AV to see if it actually does the update and have uninstalled Avira. Never have these issues with NOD or Avast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.