The Shield Firewall 5.0

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by 3xist, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3xist

3xist Guest

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

They paid Comodo for the license to use the free fw engine. Melih admits this. It seems like no big deal.

3. HyperFlow

HyperFlow Registered Member

why should it be of any concern it's 100% legal nothing in the copy right laws are being broke and more big name company's than Comodo is doing the same. it's comodo's engine and they can do as they see fit with it. I see nothing to be alarmed about after all Kaspersky and F-secure see nothing wrong with it!! and to start a big conspiracy theory is just well childish.:D

4. Teknokrat

Teknokrat Registered Member

I've followed this discussion as well and there's already a (closed) thread where this has been discussed here .

Apparently (AFAIK) they have purchased licenses from the companies you mentioned enabling them to use the technologies in the products they offer on their site.

Prior to the sale Comodo checked PCSecurityShield to make sure they are a legal entity etc (it's described in the thread @ the Comodo forum), but it's a bit strange they didn't check further. PCSecurityShield has sold products listed on spywarewarriors rogue list and they're blocked on the MVPS hosts list.

I can't determine their current status in these matters but it appears they haven't played all by the rules in the past (which IMHO should be enough for any serious software company not wanting to be associated with them in any way).

regards,
    T

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  5. HyperFlow

you are correct i'm very aware MVPS has included them and i'm sure many others has to. but to single one company from the list of many is not right. and i hold very uneasy thoughts on this but to say it's wrong for one and ok for the other is not the right thing to do. this is a time that all responsible people must come together and voice there thoughts. and tell each company they have the right to protect there users and this kind of behavior is not acceptable rather it's free or paid and i hope each company comes to the same conclusion as most here on this forum.

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Controversy over Comodo firewall engine sold to roguemalware company

There's a thread at Comodo forums currently that I learned about from a panic post just now at dslreports asking if Comodo firewall is no longer free.

The Comodo thread indicates that Melih sold a rogue malware company the rights to the Comodo firewall engine and this company is selling the product and it looks just like Comodo firewall. (I don't know if they look the same because I don't use Comodo firewall). The posters in the thread are worried about Comodo's reputation and I think rightly so. But Melih so far, while he has looked "deeper" into the company, seems to think the company is ok because they are members of the BBB (Better Business Bureau) which is a weak argument. Dell is a member of BBB and tons of complaints pour into the Texas affiliate regarding Dell so being a member of the BBB doesn't necessarily mean anything as to the worthiness of the company.

Avira webguard (according to a poster in the thread) evidently won't let one go to the PCSecurityShield site but I don't use webguard so I could get there. Site Advisor doesn't like the site either.

The license is for life and the big selling point is email and phone support. But nothing happens on firefox when I try to click on either icon. Maybe it is just Fx. I am not inclined to check by going there on a less secure browser.

Here's the Comodo thread:
    http://forums.comodo.com/how_can_yo..._is_this_the_shield_firewall_50-t21274.0.html

and the site:
    http://www.pcsecurityshield.com/lp/shieldfirewall-as.aspx

7. Teknokrat

I fully agree, HyperFlow. I just want to clarify that my post was in no way directed specifically @ Comodo. I'm just as concerned and worried about the other companies as well. I use both Comodo and Kaspersky (to mention a few) products.

I have no problem with what seems to be the issue for most of those who have objected: that PCSecurityShield charge money for their products. If they have a contract with Comodo that lets them use Comodos technology in their products they're free to set any price they see fit.

My main concern is what "hanging out with the bad guys" does to your reputation. Yes, I know it's THEIR problem but it clearly affects my opinion of them in a way I'd rather be without.

Does anyone know how this type of licensing work? I guess it depends on how the contract is set up, but I was wondering if they(PCSecurityShield) get access to newer versions or if they buy a license for the version available at the time of the purchase only.

regards,
    T

8. Teknokrat

Re: Controversy over Comodo firewall engine sold to roguemalware company

Hi Mele20.
    This matter is already up for discussion here at Wilders.

There is also an older thread that has been closed.

regards,
    T

9. HyperFlow

@ Teknokrat I read a article one time and i can not " or show proof of it.. but it was from a said security expert and he said in his discussion that if people knew what kind of deals was made with in [layman term] the spy wear company's and the like behind closed door's. that there would be a total collapse in the security soft-wear busyness. true or not but i think it's like bugsy said hide in plane site who will look

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Re: Controversy over Comodo firewall engine sold to roguemalware company

Thanks. I did look before posting but I didn't look for "Shield" firewall.

11. Teknokrat

You're probably right. There's also a chance that PCSecurityShield indeed is a "better" company today than at the time they ended up on many hosts blocklists and in the rogue list. I guess the bad reputation they earned can be very hard to get rid of - even if they've shaped up and play fair.

Hypothetically, although many security companies very well could be making shady deals behind our backs with companies they're supposed to protect the end-users from I feel I need to focus on hands-on, actual cases. Anything else leads to borderline paranoia which no one will benefit from (apart from the bad guys, perhaps).

regards,
    T

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  12. HyperFlow

True:my host file blocks them and that's enough for me to show very much :cautious: and in the mean time until all company's involved on this deal makes a clear and up-front announcement or some kind of proof that this shield 5.0 is a true and safe company i have no choice but to distant my self from them as they are part of my problem as sad as it maybe. i payed to much money for my pc just to be compromised by any well known service, free or paid and i do run a mix of free and paid services.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.