Bad Pool Header Error

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jjunaid, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjunaid

jjunaid Registered Member

I wanted to post this to save alot of people time. I was recieving a BAD_POOL_HEADER blue screen after making an image by cloning using an external USB hard drive. I then put the cloned USB hard drive into my laptop and started it up. Everything worked fine for about 5-10 minutes and then the blue screen of death.

After some research found out that the problem was that the acronis image has some problems. I have heard that these problems only occur when using an external USB drive to clone or changing the type of hard drive you are using. I have not confirned that though.

Anyway, the blue screen would occur after 5-10 minutes of starting because I had carbonite running. Carbonite attempts to use the volume shadow copy service. This is what was causing the blue screen of death.

The problem was fixed by going into the device manger and performing the following steps:

1. Go to device manager
    2. Click "View" and select "show hidden devices"
    3. Scroll down to "storage volumes"
    4. Click on the "+" to expand
    5. click on each one listed and right click and uninstall. You might get a message box that pops up and asks if you want to reboot. Say no, and do the previous step to all items listed.
    6. Reboot
    7. when windows comes back up it will reinstall the hardware you uninstalled and ask you to reboot.
    8. Now the storage volumes are installed correctly. My guess is that they changed to reflect the new drive configuration. No more blue screen!

Hope this helps and save people time. Also I hope acronis fixes or documents this somewhere in future versions.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jjunaid,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the inconvenience. Our Development Team is already working on solving that issue. Most likely the fix will be included in the next verions of Acronis True Image. We are sorry, but the exact time isn't available yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. davidwsica

davidwsica Registered Member

You Da Man! I had the same problem after replacing my internal drive with an external USB drive that I have been duplicating to and had NO idea what was going on because this was happening overnight when I was trying to run another backup process and when I saw the computer in the morning it was just shutdown because of the BSOD. I finally tied it to the backup process and was able to manually kick off a backup and capture the BSOD message.

I have to saw I was concerned about the ability of programs to duplicate a drive and this shows my fears were not unfounded. At least there's a workaround but Acronis needs to fix this ASAP!!! It's not very useful to have a backup that BSOD's and you can't identify where/what the problem is.

Thanks for your help!
    David

4. Jaizey

Jaizey Registered Member

Please note that while we experienced this issue as well, our research shows that it was not uniquely an Acronis issue.

There are numerous threads across the internet which describe Retrospect, Ghost, Carbonite, Mozy, and others we had not even heard of all sharing this problem based upon the Volume Shadow Copy service.

Hope this helps; Acronis has been a good solution for us and our clients.:thumb:

5. davidwsica

Anyone know if this has been fixed in 2009 (Beta or anticipated for GA release)?

Thanks,
    David

6. davidwsica

No update??

7. saph03

saph03 Registered Member

I have received the Bad Pool Header error when Windows Live OneCare tries to run on my machine with Acronis. This is very frustrating.
    (On Win XP 32 bit).

Also, on my Win XP 64 bit machine, whenever I start Acronis True Image Home build 8053 it kills the Volume Shadow Copy Service.

This in turn causes my Mozy backups to fail.

Acronis is causing grief with these other software which I run as complementary backup solutions.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please notice that the Bad_Pool_Header error can be caused by a variety of reasons. Most of those that were reported are fixed in current or next version of Acronis True Image. If you encounter such problem, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please collect Windows mini-dumps the following way:
    - Right click on My Computer, choose Properties and go to the Advanced tab;
    - Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery box;
    - Choose Small memory dump in Write debugging information;
    - Close all the dialog windows by clicking OK buttons;
    - Reproduce the system crash;
    The dump file will be created in the directory chosen in the Small dump directory box.

Please also describe the actions needed to perform to reproduce the problem.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Interesting that there's no info on this given that ATI2009 is being released through Amazon in couple of weeks. Either it's fixed or it ain't. I fthe product is coming out 2 or 3 weeks, then it's surely already gone into production and Acronis knows what fixes are/aren't in it vis-a-vis ATI11.

10. jputter

jputter Registered Member

I have a similar problem. My Windows MS Word program for some reason would not open. I rebuilt the HD the way it was one day previously using ATI Home 11.0 build 8053. MS Word worked successively but now BSOD errors occur continually with Yosemite Backup 8.5, Backup My PC 6.0, and periodically with Windows NT backup to a Dell Power Vault RD 1000. I have a work around that enables me to use Windows NT backup if I re-boot after a BSOD error. Should I try the suggested fix in the first thread or review this first with Acronis Technical Support?

11. EmeryLane

EmeryLane Registered Member

Hi,

I had this same problem a difference being my cloned drive was internal.

Funny this only seemed to show up with OneCare backup.

Thanks very much for posting this workaround.

Emery

12. bgoffe

bgoffe Registered Member

I just wanted to add that I too experienced this problem when I cloned a disk and used Mozy for backups. I was wary of trying this fix as I didn't like the idea of deleting a device. In particular, I have a duel boot XP/Linux machine and the devices seemed to be related to my partitions (had 4 of both). Happily, when I rebooted in Windows, these devices were recreated and I had no problems with Linux or with Grub (the boot loader). Further, after the cloning these devices had names with bad characters and after this fix those bad characters disappeared.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.