How to start Universal Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mizer ajkula, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mizer ajkula

mizer ajkula Registered Member

I installed Acronis Server for Windows and Universale Restore for Windows, now how can I run Universale Restore?
    The instructions says "To enable Acronis Universal Restore:
    • Set the switch in position Use Acronis Universal Restore."

I can't find that swithc. Where is the switch?

Thank you.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

From what I've seen in the ver 9.1 Workstation with UR, when running the Acronis CD, you get a dialog window asking whether or not you want to use UR. I think their reference to a switch is just one of the quirks in translating Russian to English.

3. mizer ajkula

Yeah it is not really clear. I see that option when running it from a CD. But I'm still not sure how to run it once I'm in, didn't see any options. Also I was told it should work from Windows without the CD.

4. mizer ajkula

I was able to run Universal Restore from a CD and that seems to be working fine.
    Does anybody know the process of converting an image to a virtual hard drive and then running that virtual hard drive on a different server?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

6. mizer ajkula

This is what the speicifed chapter has to say about physical to virtual conversion:
    1. Create images of all (or some) physical machine disks, including the system disk.
    2. Convert the images to virtual disks.
    3. Create a new VM with the converted system disk.
    4. Add the other converted disks to the VM.
    5. Start the VM and complete the hardware drivers configuration, if Windows prompts.

This is what I did:
    1. Created image of a server and transfered the image to a recovery PC with Acronis loaded.
    2. Converted the image to a Microsoft Virtual PC VHD (virtual hard drive).
    3. Created a new CM and added the disk to it.
    5. Started the VM and it crashed with a blue screen saying UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Now my understaning is that HAL needs to be replaced on the in order for converted image to work. And this is what acronis claims in the manual.

"A Windows system image will be supplemented with appropriate system drivers during conversion, so that Windows could boot up on the VM. (In fact, the Acronis Universal Restore technology is applied in background because the program is aware which drivers are needed for compatible virtual machines.)"

So I either doing something wrong or the claim is not correct. So far the only way to make this work is to manualy replace HAL on the new image.

Does anybody knows any more details about this?

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mizer ajkula,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the problem thoroughly?

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post on the source machine.

Please also collect the application log of the convertion process:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the corresponding log;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.