Anti-Malware Test Lab and AV-Comparatives.org announce alliance

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by A_Shabanov, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A_Shabanov

A_Shabanov Registered Member

Friends, i suggest to you fresh news:

"The renowned test labs Anti-Malware Test Lab and AV-Comparatives.org have agreed to establish a strategic partnership.

The alliance will allow the partners to become one of the most respected sources of objective and independent information about antivirus products and strengthen their position in the industry. It will also give independent tests and expert analyses more weight.

Within the framework of the alliance, Anti-Malware Test Lab and AV-Comparatives.org plan to create a unified set of antivirus software tests and to join forces in improving testing methodologies, assembling test collections and interpreting test results for the public.

Anti-Malware Test Lab and AV-Comparatives.org intend to create a unique system of integrated tests for antivirus solutions by the end of 2008. This signals a marked shift to a new level of software assessment, since users currently only have recourse to tests based on individual protection components.

"We are very pleased to have reached an alliance agreement with AV-Comparatives.org. Our labs are the first to start the process of consolidating the work of the various independent centers that test information security products. I’m sure that our partnership will act as a driving force for the development of the industry as a whole," commented Sergey Ilyin, founder of Anti-Malware Test Lab.

"The partnership with Anti-Malware Test Lab will allow us to evaluate more aspects of antivirus software and to offer users a more comprehensive independent view of various security products. If the alliance prove itself to be valuable, we will consider collaboration with more test centers worldwide, though all of us will remain independent," said Andreas Clementi, the founder of AV-Comparatives.org .

Anti-Malware Test Lab is an independent test laboratory. The test lab is a subsidiary of Anti-Malware.ru, an authoritative Russian analytical portal devoted to software products that provide protection against various types of malicious code. The laboratory is best known for its testing of active infection treatments, antivirus self-protection, as well as the effectiveness of anti-rootkit and proactive protection.

AV-Comparatives.org , founded by Andreas Clementi and located in Austria, is one of the most reputed and respected independent anti-virus software test labs in the world. The antivirus testing for on-demand and retrospective/proactive detection rate of malicious programs has earned it market-wide recognition. Other currently delivered tests cover false alarm rates, scan speed, polymorphic virus detection, etc. "

Now, you can read about this news here:
    1) About alliance - Av-comparatives.org
    2) About alliance - Anti-malware Test Lab

I am very interested your views on this matter :)

2. sergeyko

sergeyko AV Expert

Too bad. :blink:

3. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

May I ask why? ;)

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

I don't think drweb will be very happy about this,

Is partnership, another word for influence.

Will av-comparatives be influencing the results and testing of anti-malware.ru?

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

As I always say,"If you cant whup-em, join-em.";)

7. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Or, when there's no evidence, resort to insidious allegations.

8. JimGoo

JimGoo Guest

Oh well, there goes the neighborhood. Looks like we'll have to rely solely on PC Magazine and PC World reviews from now on.

:D

Regards,
    Jim

9. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

And why wouldn't it be the other way around? Maybe something really good will come out of this.

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes, it could be but until I know, got that weary feeling.

11. solcroft

And why is that?

Are there any past events or precedents to indicate unscrupulousness on AV-C's part?

Or is this just another one of your many "opinions"?

12. sergeyko

sergeyko AV Expert

Well, I don't think this alliance will be any good to anyone. Besides Anti-Malware and AV-Comparatives.org, of course.
    I don't think it'll make them any better in testing or add them any piece of independance.
    Both of them will feel more significant in this world. Have that ever brought something good?

I can't see any other reason for such an alliance.

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Gimme a A
    Gimme a E
    Gimme a V
    Gimme a S
    Gimme a I
    Gimme a E
    Gimme a R
    Gimme a T
    Gimme a A

Whats that spell? Go Avira and Eset.

Hmm, no Dr Web in it.:doubt:

14. s4u

s4u Registered Member

You funny guy

15. solcroft

So why don't you ask them?

I also see no reason for you to take every opportunity to take potshots at them, but unlike you, I'm extending the courtesy to you to ask you why. What is it that you have against IBK, exactly? If there are valid reasons - do tell.

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Sorry solcroft, think he just hit the "Log Out" button.:cautious:

17. solcroft

Wouldn't be the first time.

18. IBK

IBK AV Expert

av-c will just support amtl by making them more popular. we will both remain independent also from each other, but if amtl wants too, they can use our results and viceversa. i do not see anything bad in supporting other smaller testers.

19. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Solcroft, I think they already said what they don't like in another thread awhile back. If you want valid reasons I have the feeling you won't get any besides the usual misinformation and propaganda floating around on a regular basis.

Let's see what happens:rolleyes:

20. sergeyko

sergeyko AV Expert

Do I need to? No, thanks. They asked for opinions they've got mine.

Wow a tough talk!
    Why do you think I have anything against him? I just don't think his test gives a real picture. That's it.

What you call "every opportunity to take potshots at them" is just your imagination, or maybe you just mixed me up with someone else. Look through my posts, there are not many of them here, I wrote about drweb mostly.

Have I pushed you when we met? ;)

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

maybe he means me Sergey,

but I don't see his messages ;)

FYI - I have absolutely nothing against ibk, he's alright to talk to for sure.

22. Dorn

Dorn Registered Member

+2 Count me on this too, i really dont belive in his av test eather.
    Dont have anything against him.
    But really confuised, its just a man alone and we dont have any guarantee if his test is correct to 100%.

23. IBK

IBK AV Expert

one man alone? you have obviously no idea what you are talking about.

24. sergeyko

sergeyko AV Expert

Well, let's rephrase "But really confuised, its just 5 men alone and we dont have any guarantee if their test is correct to 100%." ;)
    Does it really matter?

You cannot deny the AV tests need improving, if not say complete changing. You too participate in that process and that's not out of the blue.

25. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Did I deny?
    Which tester gives a 100,0% guarantee? Which software developer gives 100% guarantee about his software (without lying i mean)?
    btw, 8 is the correct number atm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.