spywareguard update

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by big ed, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Downloaded sg 2.2 yesterday, Error downloading updates. Definitions date remains @ 8/30/03. I read Pieter's answer to this prob in another post. Do not know how to do the fix.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi big ed,

If you mean these instructions about how to manually download the 4 files that make up a SpywareGuard update...

It's actually not that difficult. The SpywareGuard updates are really nothing more than 4 separate files that SG's live update normally downloads automatically from Javacool's website. But, sometimes certain systems can't get those updates automatically.

So, what you can do is use your browser and for each of the 4 links above, right-click each line and do a Save Target As... and have the file saved somewhere on your system. (See the image below. Notice the Save As box and that I select "All Files" from the little "type" menu at the bottom, before clicking Save. This just keeps IE from changing the file to *.TXT as it downloads.)

After you've saved all four files, you can move them all (using Windows Explorer) from wherever you saved them over to the SpywareGuard folder which is usually in "c:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\".

Attached Files:

3. big ed

big ed Registered Member

hi jc,

Was able to get the latest update into my neighbor's puter but when I did the procedure on mine it didn't work. I'm not positive but when I downloaded the 4 files to the desktop on the first one the icons appeared w/the windows logo in them. When I tried (three times) to do my machine the icons appeared w/ scrolls in them. I was careful to change the files from text to all files. What am I missing.

Thanks, big ed

4. LowWaterMark

I'm assuming you mean on your neighbors PC in this case, right?

Well, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "the icons appeared w/ scrolls in them" (hmm, do you mean they looked like the default icon for text files?), but, this could simply be the case where the file associations on your system may be different than your neighbor's PC. What were the files names on your PC? For example: def1.dtb or def1.dtb.txt ?

If the file names were all ending in ".dtb", it's probably not a big deal. (Javacool uses a file extension of ".dtb" which is not a standard known file type. On different systems, different icons might end up associated with that file type depending upon a whole lot of different circumstances.)

You could try moving those files over to the SpywareGuard folder anyway. (Personally, I'd save a copy of the original ones first, then move these new files in and restart it to see if the definitions are now showing as up to date.)

5. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply. You were correct in deciphering my noncomputerese. Of the icons W/the scrolls in them, two ended w/dtb and two ended W/txt.

Hope I gave enough info.

Thanks

6. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Hi LWM,

Occassionally in this world of hi speed, hi finance and just everyone getting hi a doofus is allowed a scant moment of euphoria. After wrestling with the update problem for longer than I care to remember I decided that, what the heck, why not? I started exiting all of the tasks in the taskbar and trying to update after doing each one. I was down to the last one, the goofy NZ accellerator, and when I shut that one down victory was mine. I think I done good! At least I hope so.

I would appreciate your comments.

big ed

7. LowWaterMark

Hmm, very interesting. Yes, it could very well have been interfering with the downloads. So, you are saying that with that disabled, the automatic updates did work and SpywareGuard got the updates installed okay? If so, that's great!

We'll need to keep in mind here some of the unexpected things that can interfere with successful downloading of updates I guess.

8. dlht3370

dlht3370 Registered Member

o_Othis is my issue below...could your advice apply to me as well?

hi, i hope i can finally find help! i have spyware guard on my pc, and the other day i began getting the warning message -> Error Reading Spyware Guard Definitions! File may be corrupt or another program may have tampered with it. Run LiveUpdate to download the latest Spyware Guard Definitions .... or go to the Spyware Guard Control Panel<-

okay, i can read and follow directions so i go to run liveupdate.....same message appears, things go crazy, etc. i proceed to get the windows application message that the instruction at 0x77fb112b referenced memory @ 0x00257000... memory could not be read...

now, if i get this message every time i try to run a program or open a file, how the heck am i supposed to update spyware guard definitionso_O

anyone with a hint?

9. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.