Tax software (USA)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Howard Kaikow, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Recommended tax software?

Good price for TurboTax at Costco, but does not include personal tax help.

This is not for me, it's for someone who ...!

2. Dave49

Dave49 Registered Member

Turbotax provides for personal help for a premium of about $40. Tax Cut from H&R Block advertises one-on-one help, but I don't know if they charge for it. Maybe a tax accountant is the way to go. The expense is deductable next year.

~Dave

3. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

As an accountant I would say that if a person's income and expense situation is perceived to be complex (e.g., running one's own business), I would advise that person to defer to a professional tax preparer. With that said, of the popular income tax software I consider TurboTax the best.

4. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I've tried a lot of them over the years, and I think TurboTax is the best.

5. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Going to agree with previous posts, TurboTax is the best (especially for finding deductions and maximum amount deductible for donations).

6. Howard Kaikow

The issue is not the complexity.
    I was hoping that the prompting of tax software might help, tho I have my doubts.

The main issue is to fill out form 8606, not sure how helpful tax software would be for this.

This is needed for a partial recharacterization (of a non-deductible contribution) from an IRA to a Roth.

7. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

I've used TurboTax somewhat extensively and it is quite capable of covering most all circumstances and anomalous issues with respect to individual returns (less so for the likes of corporate entities and trusts where it's just okay, IMHO).

But I also made a non-deductible contribution to an IRA and TurboTax handled that issue easily. I did **not** transfer or recharacterize any of the non-deductible amount to a Roth (I merely reversed it) but I did note that the TurboTax "interview" contained a section to input any amount transferred to a Roth. FWIW.....

8. Howard Kaikow

Thanx.

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Tax laws change regularly, quickly and sometimes at the last minute. Do these programs have update features?

Do you have to buy a new package every year? :doubt:

I use a preparer...that means a live human...:D

10. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

We have used TurboTax for the last few years with good success. We just go to their Website & use the online application with good success. Yes it uses encrypted cpmmections.

11. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Yes and yes. :D

The consumer products are continually updated. Frankly, I'd never file a return, regardless of which product I happened to be using, anytime before late March.

Subscriptions are available but they're really just more like reminders; I don't recall TurboTax, for example, offering any kind of substantial discount for subscribing or paying in advance.

For those who do their returns online and e-file, and whose returns aren't all that complex, TaxACT is FREE for a federal return and then $13.95 for one state return (including e-filing the state return).

12. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I'm not the brightest star in the sky but I can still work my way through Turbo Tax, which if I remember correctly is owned and published by Intuit.
    It works well for me.
    Regards.
    Hugger

13. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Remember that ultimately you are responsible for the entries on the return. Doesn't matter if the accountant or tax software made a boo-boo, if you signed it, you made the error. ;) :rolleyes: o_O

BTW, I don't use the PC to do my taxes. Don't want any hacker or potential "hacking" program to review my tax information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.