I Can See Underbelly Of The Net With SANDBOXIE!!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by cortez, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cortez

cortez Registered Member

Sandboxie has worked great for me these last few months and no real problems using Firefox in "protected mode". It is as if I have been blind to the many strange and bizarre sites of the internet due to fear of male ware.

I am absolutely blown away with the freedom Sandboxie has afforded me knowing that all will be well upon reboot. One of the best internet utility/anti-male ware applications in my experience.

It is a real time potential time saver for sure much: much faster than restoring an image.

It will rival Imaging in importance since it is most likely to make imaging/restoring a hard drive due to failure rather than to infection due to male ware.

I am certainly going to let family/friends know of this great "product" as it has been working great.

Attached Files:

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Re: I CAN SEE UNDERBELLY OF THE NET WITH SNANBOXIE!!

I share your feelings about the freedom that Sandboxie affords one. It gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling while surfing around. I'm all about isolating internet facing applications :thumb: .

Also, you don't have to reboot in order to delete the contents of the sandbox. It can be set to automatically delete the contents when closing a sandboxed program or you can do it manually.

FWIW: Sandboxie's price is raising a little March 5th, grab the paid version soon ;).

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Is the licence a lifetime one?

4. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Yes, Of course.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

You are a very perceptive user. I don't relish risking potential serious incident but i sandboxed ran ROBOTDOG as well as VIRIIE and other very destructive malwares and the returns were nill, that is to say they either would not run at all or they just popped up some giddish looking box with scrambled text and that was the extent of their approach.

So in essence and untill or unless compromised in some way, SANDBOXIE is a very protective application as-is. Since most destructive or disruptive malware would need to activate itself in the normal form of executable, most HIPS and especially Anti-Executable for one would have aborted them before they even had a chance to show anything.

For me this is still touch and go, but aside from some forced intrusional code being cleverly craftd enough to evade containment, SnadboxIE stands pretty well on it's own merits/capability IMO.

And opinions or other facts to the reverse in dispute?

6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I've tried Sandboxie several times now and could never really get on with it. It didn't automatically recognize Firefox ( was able to force it though). the main issue for me though was the delay when I first logged on. On a very old machine with on 512 of memory the first time I would log on it would take an extra 5 seconds.

As people keep raving about Sandboxie I keep thinking I should try again on a newer machine BUT as I already run Returnil, or deepfreeze is there really any benefit ? Is anyone using both ? and why ? I should add that I have never seen a virus nor suffered from malware nor had my identity stollen. Given the lack of any attacks would it still make sense to install Sandboxie on top of DeepFreeze ?

7. muf

muf Registered Member

I'm sorry, but do you realise how ridiculous that statement sounds? 5 seconds extra! Oh dear, that's like an eternity. I mean in 5 seconds you could stand up and sit down again. All that time wasted. Get a grip please! Now if you had said it takes an extra 1 minute or two and slows down your browsing to a crawl then I could understand where you are coming from. But take a step back and think about it. 5 seconds. Oh, and by the time you've taken a step back the 5 seconds would have passed...

muf

8. HURST

HURST Registered Member

@LongView:

I use both Sandboxie and returnil. The main use of sandboxie is to protect my surfing. I normally have returnil disabled. Only when going to really "dark side" sites, or when I'm installing some software I don't know so well where it came from, I enable Returnil.

So Sandboxie for surfing, Returnil for software, tests, etc, and sometimes as an extra layer (may be overkill, but better safe than sorry, I run some other software sandboxed sometimes, when it's suspicious)

As for the 5 seconds, I use the unregistered version, and it displays a popup the first time a sandboxed application run each session, telling I must wait 5 seconds if I want to continue using the unregistered version. After that I can close that popup and start surfing. I don't mind it. The protection and peace of mind it gives me is well worth that 5 seconds.

I'm seriosly thinking about registering though, it's a great app!

9. Long View

I think you have missed my point ? If I felt that I needed the protection then I agree 5 seconds is nothing. If I don't need the protection because I'm running Returnil or Deepfreeze then why would I want to slow things down ? even by 5 seconds.

So let's just leave the question as " if using Deepfreeze or Returnil is Sandboxie still of value ?" and cut out the smart arse responses.

10. Long View

Thanks - perhaps that's the difference ? I run with Reurnil on except when updating and wouldn't know how to find the darkside on a sunny day.

11. muf

muf Registered Member

It maybe was a smart arse response. But you made a point that it took an extra 5 seconds. You appeared to be being a little petty and that's why I commented accordingly. Now you have expanded on what you were getting at I apologise for my comments. Personally, I feel it would still be beneficial to run something like Returnil as this would provide a 'safety net'. Even though it appears that Sandboxie is impervious to current known malware it doesn't mean that someone won't find a way round it in the future. I would never rely on one application as my protection. Layered protection has been recommended many times and I still feel it is the best way to go.

muf

12. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I agree with this, a layered defense is the way to go and SandBoxie would be a valuable part of it. Although i've just recently started using SandBoxie again, I wouldn't go surfing without it. It adds excellent protection to my already strong defense. :D

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  13. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

I agree with Longview. I tried Sandboxie and although the new version starts up quicker I just dont get it. I surf all sites and I mean all. I download everything and never 1 infection.

14. Long View

Thanks - I'm changing machines in the next few weeks and will give Sandboxie and SafeSpace a go. Surfing has to be the most likely way for me to get contaminated.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The combination of DEEP FREEZE virtualized by RETURNIL should i would assume ward off any MBR makware attempts as i understand it, considering Returnil has been corrected & rechanged to address this type risk from a ROBOTDOG or any other MBR infector such as KillDisk, Sector Editor, etc.

That type of malware for me still raises enough reason for caution & IMO remains a very real risk if ever released in abundance enough to threaten by a laced web page of some sort or even bundled to freeware or lest we forget the common drive-by which again falls into the redirected laced webpage category.

16. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

I just picked-up on this thread and never heard of SandboxIE, so now I'm anxious to give it a go. Some here have also mentioned Returnil. Can anyone outline the basic differences in their operations?

17. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

System recovery software do not try to restrict the action of programs in any way, only attempting to undo all changes upon reboot. The Robodog vulnerability may have been fixed for now, but as long as malware are allowed to run on the same physical machine as the recovery software, and with equal privileges, there'll always be a way to penetrate and defeat the recovery mechanism.

18. Long View

Is it the case then that Robodog can not penetrate and defeat Sandboxie ?
    or is the argument that by using both Sandboxie and Returnil or deepfreeze or...
    that hopefully one of them will stop it?

Also what does Robodog do ? If it messes up a machine to the point where a fresh image is all that is needed ( ok with hard drive prep) then I'm not too worried. the sort of malware that would concern me would be undetectable i.e I would have no idea that it was there.

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Truer words were never said.

We don't know just far they aim to take it, but it's a fact $M and all it's silly permissions have left an even bigger gaping hole in XP then 98/Me used to suffer from. One can understand from a feature point-of-view or perspective that MS intends to expand useage to include additional users and even prevent those OTHER users from tampering with normal Admin settings, but looks to me like they left out a whole flurry from the security aspect of things.

By the way, does anyone know if at least in XP Pro restrictions can also be password protected on either a per setting basis or overall?

Thanks and very vital subject to discuss on.

20. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Your irrational Microsoft bashing is irrelevent here. The fact is as long as you choose to run your computer with an administrator account, programs will be able to do anything they want. It's your computer, and it has to be able to be used as you please; that's simple logic.

Of course, should this not be what you actually want, a limited user account will stop Robodog, and most other malware.

21. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

Aaron - for a quick outline of the basic principles have a look at this link kindly posted by Coldmoon (of Returnil) in the software forum a couple of weeks ago.

http://wiki.castlecops.com/Lists_of_freeware_virtualization

HTH.

22. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

The only problem I have with Sandboxie is running it on a Limited User Account. The sandboxed web browser wouldn't open. But now that I am using SuRun I can get it to open by granting it administrator rights. But by granting the Sandboxed web browser administrator rights, aren't I defeating the purpose of running LUA to begin with.

23. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thats only an opinion of course, but the term "irrational MS bashing" also translates to being negligent, as many millions of others also relate to. There is of course no intentions to make apologies nor either withtrack from the truth of all of it. And there are reasons for these limitations which i will briefly point out.

Back OT: SandboxIE and any other sandboxes & even virtualizers are vital time/ISP service saving programs, since the system itself is inherently flawed and was designed to be at the start in order to intoduce opportunities for developers to create and open businesses to address these and other limitations of internal elements of $M O/S's that present a real risk to the license holder of these O/S's.

It's called business expansion.

25. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I wouldn't surf without my Sandboxie, when a videoclip site wants to download a .exe just to view the clip. It can be dangerious, I feel relief in knowing that when I close the browser the Contents of the sandbox folder just disappears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.