Scheduled backup can't access network drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pagallery, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pagallery

pagallery Registered Member

I'm running TI 11 Home and am having problems with BackUp Locations.

From my PC I set up a BackUp Location on a hard drive sitting on another PC which is part of my network, using the Backup Location wizard.

Using the Task Wizard I created a Task to run everyday to backup my C drive onto the network drive - selecting the back up file from Back Up Locations. The Task starts to run but stops immediately with the Log message:

Cannot open archive for writing
    Failed to open file z:\Desktop Backup\ for write Cannot open archive for writing (0x400003) path= z:\Desktop Backup ..... long tag number...... system cannot find path specified filename \\?\z:\Desktop Backup

I then set up another task to do a one off backup and this time, instead of choosing the folder under Backup Locations, chose the folder by drilling down my networked z: drive. That task ran successfully. But if I go this route, I cannot get the consolidation function for full backups & incremental/differential backups to work, because that only comes up if you choose the backup folder from Backup Locations.

I haven't set any passwords so have been leaving the password request blank whenever they occur.

Anyone got any ideas what the problem is?

2. seventree

seventree Registered Member

I have just encountered this exact same problem, every detail as described in the previous post. The "?" in the error message file path makes me wonder if it needs a workgroup name.

In the Schedule Task Wizard's Credentials page, it says you must enter a Domain Name for a domain member, but it doesn't say how, nor does it say anything about workgroups.

Anyone - am I on the right track here? Suggestions welcome.

Richard

3. seventree

seventree Registered Member

I should have mentioned I am evaluating the TI 11 Home trial verson.

I ran across this FAQ reference while searching old threads:

"When you map the drive, it becomes mapped only under your Windows account. Acronis True Image 11 Home runs its tasks using the system account and so it is sometimes impossible to locate your mapped drive (especially when you are logged off). Please use the full UNC path (e.g. \\server\share\) instead of the mapped drive."

My backup storage is a Buffalo LinkStation Pro, which plugs into the wifi router and appears as a Linux system with a drive containing a "\share" folder accessible from any network location. The drive install software automatically maps that folder as Drive L: but the full UNC path is \\Ls-gldbb\share. So I deleted and recreated the TI Backup Location using that path instead of L:\ and moved the auto backup task start time up to start in a few minutes from then, as a test. It did start and appears to be running ok right now. When the test is done I will set the schedule back to the normal late-night time and see if it works again overnight. Will let you know what happens.

Richard

Update Feb 7: overnight backup ran ok so I guess this is the fix, at least for me. The only odd thing, this morning Windows could not open the mapped L drive. Error "remote procedure call failed". I wonder if TI did not release something after backup? Anyway reboot fixed that so not a fatal problem.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

You need to set the full UNC path in order to be able to use Backup locations on network shared remote storage, so you've found the right solution.

Regarding the issue with mounting network share - probably it's same situation as one described in this thread. Please try the offered workaround and check if the issue is fixed.

Thank you
    --
    Michael Levchenko

5. rebop

rebop Registered Member

Just had this problem with a brand new Netgear Readynas Duo and this solves the problem, thanks! But it creates a new problem:

Using the unc and setting as differential does not allow me to limit the number of backups before a new full backup is performed. using a Backup Location does, but not if a UNC and file name (now required) is given.

I have limited the location to 10 backups. How do I now instruct TI to perform a new backup after x differentials?

Thanks~

~Bob

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rebop,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify, what version and build of Acronis True Image Home are you using? You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

Please also check this post and see if it solves the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.