Acronis Kills XP Home Network

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Cobber, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cobber

Cobber Registered Member

This post may be a bit long, so I'll state the problem here at the top first:

Installing TI11 on XP Home stops all other computers on the network from accessing that computer.

For 2 years I have put up with the fact that XP Home won't run a home network, with other PCs on the LAN getting the "\\pc1 not accessable" message.

I use a 4 port ADSL modem (router) and all PCs simply plug into that. Regardless of which operating system a PC uses, the XP Home PC can access any other PC - but none can access the XP Home PC.

I have always been told I would need XP Pro to run a home network.

The other day my PC became so corrupt I needed to reinstall Windows. I have always used TI8, then TI9 to backup my PC, so I've never had to reinstall Windows before on this PC. So yes, Acronis have saved my bacon many times!

While reading Microsoft's promo info as Windows was installing, I noticed it talked about home networks. So once it was installed, I tried out my network and sure enough every PC could talk to every other PC!

So I started installing applications and making sure the network was OK after each one. Everything worked fine until I bought TI11 and installed it. The network then failed and gave me the old inaccessable message. I uninstalled TI11 and my network is working again.

I suspect TI8 and 9 had also caused the problem for the last 2 years.

So my question is:

Is this a known problem with XP Home?

Is there something I must do to my PC or TI to enable other PCs on the network to access XP Home after installing TI?

I know these sorts of problems may not have an easy answer, but sometimes the cause is so simple you miss it. Hopefully someone has come across this before and knows how to fix it.

Sorry the post is so long and thanks in advance to anyone who may reply.

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Take look at this post http://support.microsoft.com/kb/106167. You will have to increase the IRPstacksize until it works. This is caused by some other programs also. Mine is set to 18 decimal.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  3. Cobber

Cobber Registered Member

Wow that was a quick reply Thomas!

The registry entry didn't exist, so I created it as per the link. Set it to 6, reinstalled TI11 and network failed again.

Increased it to 12 and everything worked fine :)

To think I put up with this problem for 2 years and searched and tried everything I could find online about it to no avail just shows me how much rubbish info there is out there.

Thanks so much for this instant fix, you're a legend!

By the way, is the memory they're talking about my actual RAM or what Windows is assigning? Would increasing my RAM help any? Thanks again.

Graham

4. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.