New to Sandboxie

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by tepe2, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I downloaded Sanboxie for the first time and think I need some help. But first my setup:

C: for Windows XP and applications included Firefox
    D: for personal data- music, movie, documents......

I also have moved the Firefox (and Thunderbird) profile to my D-partition.

I want to use SB for nearly all my web surfing.

1. I know I can configure SB to auto delete the content every time I close Firefox. The downside is that next time I start Firefox I will not be able to see what links I have visited. (They should have different colour) And if I have saved new bookmarks they are gone. How can I prevent this from happening? Can I configure SB to always save bookmarks and visited links? Would this be safe?

2. I know some of you have configured SB to protect/lock D-partition. How did you do that? I could not find it, but as far as I can remember you had to type something, but where?

3. I may switch AV soon. My new AV could be Avira free. It does not have web guard/http scanning. Should I worry about this if Firefox is run sanboxed?

2. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

I wouldn't worry about HTTP scanning even with Firefox not sandboxed.

3. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Tepe2

1. Right click on Show Window in Systray. THen click on Sandbox>defaultbox(assuming you are just using the default)>Sandbox Settings. Then expand the Resource Access>File Access>Direct Access. Use the Add button, to add the Firefox bookmarks file, and any profile files you want. This will allow the browser to save these setting outside the sandbox

2. Under File access then go to Block Access, and again click add. I've added My Documents(it's on my c: drive) and it shows up as %Personal% Using Add again I added my whole D: drive.

3. Personally I wouldn't worry about it. I don't even run an AV anymore, and a major factor in that decision is Sandboxie. (There are also others) So I wouldn't worry to much about http scanning. Main thing is for your comfort level is to scan anything you recover from the sandbox.

Hope this helps.

Pete

5. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Im sure it will help me a lot :) Thank you so much :thumb:

6. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Avira should be able to reach in the sandbox and detect something. I was told it was because AV's works at a lower level than Sandboxie. While I have been surfing, Avira has alerted me before to something in the sandbox. Of course it was a FP and it was because I had Avira set on high.

7. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Thanks Pete,
    I was wondering how to lock my data partition

8. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

AFAIK, AVs (the real-time guards) can scan the contents inside the sandbox because they are installed outside the sandbox and thus their drivers can see the read/write operations made in the virtual container.

9. innerpeace

Thank you lucas,
    I don't know anything about drivers except that Sandboxie installs one during installation. You have me thinking though. Can all AV's or HIPS see inside the Sandbox? Is it important for them to do so?

10. Peter2150

Pretty much anything installed outside the sandbox can look in. But stuff in the sandbox can't look out.

Pete

11. Empath

Empath Registered Member

Sandboxie creates a working copy of your antivirus within the sandbox, at the first sign that it's needed. That copy works on whatever is within the sandbox, but any effects the contents of the sandbox has on the antivirus disappears when you delete the sandbox.

Nothing outside the sandbox actually does anything to it's content. However, as soon as anything outside the sandbox is needed in regard to whats in the sandbox, then Sandboxie pulls a copy from outside the box and makes it part of the sandbox environment.

12. innerpeace

Thank you Pete and Empath. Very interesting, it definitely gives me something to think about.

Cheers,
    innerpeace

13. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Nice to know all this. Thanks to all of you.

14. Peter2150

One of the things I tried, testing sandboxie, was trying to install both KAV and OA in the sandbox(at different times) The KAV install failed when it had to install the driver. The OA install failed when it tried to start it's service.

Sandboxie did just what it's supposed to do.

Pete

15. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Thanks Pete and Empath. I have been trying Sandboxie out and your tips are excellent. Got a few days left on the trial but probably gonna plunk down some cash for it.

16. Peter2150

It's a bargain. Unless changed one license covers all your computers. Hard to beat.

Glad I could help.

Pete

PS Go check the Sandboxie forum. Even more great ideas there.

17. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Yes, thanks Pete and Empath. Sandboxie does a lot more than even their help files say. I just use it for browsing and now opening a file prior to installing. It's a lot more powerful than just those two things. I need to stop, sit back, and play with it more if I ever want to realize it's full potential. There's an awful lot in that small package.

18. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Here is what I did:

1. I gave direct access to my firefox profile: D:\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\

2. Blocked access: D:\

Since my firefox profile is in D-partition (which I have blocked) there seem to be a conflict because I can not run FF sanboxed now. A popup tell me FF is already running, but it is not, no running process for FF.

Maybe I have to block access to all folders in D: except the FF profile? Would be more work but if it is the only solution then I will do it. Then I also would have to add any new folder created in D-partition to SB block access window.

Is it a bad idea to give direct access to my entire FF profile?

If I dont block access to D-partition will it still be protected?

19. Threedog

I took your advice and went to their forum. Loads of info there plus took more time reading over their web pages.

20. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

So did I. :) And here is what I have done now, see picture:

SB.png

If I understand and have done right...
    First line: my bookmarks are saved
    Second: has to do with NoScript (not sure what it does or if it works)
    Third: Save history
    Fourth: Saves changes (and updates?) in AdblockPlus

As far as I can see it works. I have not tested the second (NoScript). I made a change in AdblockPlus, it worked.

I have an ext for FF called HideBad. Its for clearing history, cache, passwords etc... It also seem to work.

Can someone with experience tell me if I have done right? And how do you make NoScript work with SB?

My only worry for now is: Is this a safe way to do things? I have a feeling it may not be.

21. Threedog

I was just going into Sandboxie with default settings and finding Noscript and Adblock working ok....or I think they are.

22. Peter2150

I can't help you with Firefox, as I don't use it.

Pete

23. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Threedog I think you are right, but when NS and AB are updated within the sandbox will the changes be saved outside the sandbox? I guess not, but as the title says Im new to SB. Im sure someone will let us know more about this.

I hope I can learn more about SB because I want to find a place for it in my security setup. Looking good so far.

24. Threedog

I dont think the updates would be saved outside the sandbox. You would have to go naked with Firefox to get the updates to stick.

25. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thats fine Peter, you have already helped me and I appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.