Webroot's Spy Sweeper; new build, new privacy risks

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Fly, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Just a little warning here, regarding privacy. It pays to be vigilant.

I was offered an 'update'.

Just a different build, I didn't notice any new features.

I was offered a choice between a 'typical'/default installation, and a customized installation. As always, I chose the latter.

I don't know what happened to those that chose the 'typical' or default installation. I my case, the ask.com toolbar and the search assistent were offered as part of the new installation. I'm not sure if it was opt-in or opt-out.
    I see the installation of these two as a privacy risk, but if you want to see it differently, fine.

It's rather lengthy and perhaps boring, but I did cut and past the
    END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT/PRIVACY POLICY/TERMS OF SERVICES.
    It's a lot of text, don't read it if you don't want to, I just wanted to show this to a wider audience.

~For ease of discussion, removed whole posted EULA and added same as a text attachment that can be viewed via link below....Bubba~

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2008
  2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Wow! Makes me wonder how collecting our IP-addresses is considered as "non-personally identifiable." Glad to see the industry is invading our personal space and informing us of our responsibilities. lol
    Also good to see I'm not the only one who reads EULAS...

3. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Yet another reason SpySweeper will never, ever, be installed on my computer again. :thumbd:

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Scary indeed, especially for those who (including poor me) took advantage of PC Mag free offer not too long ago.

I need to get out of this trap; so I delete it from my box for now.

Take care.

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Here's another little Bonus you can get along with SpySweeper and their new partner ask toolbar.

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Good that you mention it, thanks !

I've been reading some reports that whoever owns ask.com is pushing the ask.com toolbar to be included into security software. I don't recall the details. As always, do some research BEFORE you install a security program, read the EULA, and if you can handle it, customize the installation instead of using the default one.

7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

A little off topic, but McAfee (still installed on my computer) probably collects a lot more personal information than the Spy Sweeper. For as far as I know.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

IAC pushes a lot of things and where money is to made they'll continue pushing heavily and/or underhandedly

IAC/InterActiveCorp

9. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

PC Mag's free offer is now uninstalled from my computer. Didn't know why I installed it in the first place. But know I've learned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.