Virus Scan Keeps Freezing

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by SlapnutSkits, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlapnutSkits

SlapnutSkits Registered Member

Right, here's the deal. Yesterday I installed NOD32 v3 and updated it until it was up to date. I ran a virus scan but it froze at 67% while scanning a Firefox plugins folder.

I attempted to scan again today but it froze again at 67% while scanning a different folder (can't remember which one).

When it freezes, my computer speed drops dramatically so I am unable to use it. I have to turn it off my the power button which obviously shouldn't be done.

Why is the virus scan freezing and how can I stop it?

Any help would be appreciated,
    Cheers.

2. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

The freezing issue has been noticed by a few people on the forums. I'm sure ESET are aware of it and are working on a fix.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does disabling advanced heuristics make a difference?

4. SlapnutSkits

I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to Antivirus'. Could you elaborate?

5. MaVRiC

MaVRiC Registered Member

Same issue here, only way the scan will complete is with both heuristics and advanced heuristics disabled.

SlapnutSkits instead of powering down, open task manager (ctrl alt del) end the application then go in and kill the ekrnl process, the process will automatically start again, but you will have to restart the gui through start menu. Then you have to delete the 1.6gig temp file in windows/temp.

6. SlapnutSkits

Thanks for the reply. However, I have no idea what this ekrnl process or the gui you are talking about is o_O

7. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

GUI means graphical user interface. Put it simple open up NOD32. Press ctrl-alt-del at the same time and that brings up your task manager. Find the ekrnl process and high light it. Then click end process.

8. SlapnutSkits

Right OK. Does this solve the problem of the scan freezing then?

9. Chalawah

Chalawah Registered Member

I have a similar problem with scans freezing on the Firefox plug ins folder.

NOD32 v3.0.621.0
    Virus signature database: 2791 [200880114
    Update module: 1019 [20071030]
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1102 [20080103]
    Advanced heuristic module: 1068 [20071119]
    Archive support module: 1069 [20080113]
    Cleaner module: 1024 [20071217]

Firefox 2.0.0.11

Firefox Extensions:

AI Roboform Toolbar for Firefox 6.9.85
    British English Dictionary 1.19
    Copernic Desktop Search 2 Toolbar 2.0.0.2280
    CustomizeGoogle 0.69
    NoScript 1.2.9
    Orbit Downloader Firefox Integration 1.05
    RefControl .0.8.9
    Yahoo! Mail Notifier 1.0.0.3

Firefox Themes:

Noia 2.0[eXtreme] 3.371............in use

Windows XP Home SP2 fully updated, 1GB memory, Athlon 2800+

As soon as a manual scan gets to the Firefox pluggin folder the scan appears to stall according to the GUI, with no progress being made. CPU for ekrn.exe is 9% at the most and for egui.exe 15.15% at the most.

I find that if I click on the button to 'Stop' the scan the Target info changes from:

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins

to:

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npdivx32.dll

After clicking the Stop as above I am waiting for the scan to complete for many minutes, with both the Stop and Pause buttons greyed out. 3-4 minutes went by before the was finally given as 'Scan interrupted by user'

If I navigate a Custom Scan directly to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npdivx32.dll I don't get any scan progress being shown. CPU usage CPU for ekrn.exe is 9% at the most and for egui.exe 15.15% at the most. The scan doesn't progress at all. Clicking on the Stop button to stop the scan and scan termination took 10 minutes.

The MD5 for npdivx32.dll is: 56E18C09654020009012A53FD332D397

I have DivX for Windows, DivX Pro, DivX Converter, DivX MPEG-2 Plugin showing as 'registered on the system'. These were installed by the latest DivX 6.8.0.30 bundle.

If I run a custom scan of the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\ but exclude npdivx32.dll I can get the scan to run and complete in a couple of minutes. I however don't get any scan progress showing in the GUI

Here is a copy of the scan log file when npdivx32.dll was excluded:

15/01/2008 6:23:22 PM Operating memory;C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\Microsoft.VC80.CRT\;C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npdivx32.xpt;C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npDivxPlayerPlugin.dll;C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npnul32.dll;C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\NPOFFICE.DLL;C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\nppdf32.DEU;C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\nppdf32.dll;C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\nppdf32.FRA;C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\nppl3260.dll;C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\nprpjplug.dll;C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npUpload.xpt;C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\nsIDivxPlayerPlugin.xp 492 0 0 Completed

These scans were completed with advanced heuristics turned on.

With advanced heuristics turned off I can not get a scan of npdivx32.dll to complete. The scan doesn't progress at all. Clicking on the Stop button to stop the scan and scan termination didn't happen at until 19 minutes and 9 seconds.

Opening the \Windows\Temp folder shows two .tmp files belonging to NODDBD4.tmp and NODDBD7.tmp at 1.69GB and 885MB respectively.

Hope this information helps

I'd be interested in reading any feedback.

Thanks in advance for your time...I really value it.

10. heyman

heyman Registered Member

Chalawah...

This ..>>ekrn.exe is the problem<< ....well for me it was.. this exe..slowed to stopped PC from functioning?..ONCE I uninstalled it and then deleted all files and folder, using uninstaller 2008......

Then as a precaution you have to delete WHATEVER you have in temp file in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp...or Windows/temp........If you can..use Historykill 2006-7 IF you can get your hands on it..THIS is an excellent program to use to delete Temp files in your PC....:)

I rebooted... in safe mode...... and deleted ekrn.exe ....
    NOW I am able to surf and download and surf with multiply windows open..previously...NO WAY!

I hope this works for you as it did for me...otherwise, keep looking in forum for clues:D

11. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

ekrn.exe is part of NOD32...
    So I guess you changed to another AV?

12. ProTON

ProTON Registered Member

I'm experiencing big delays on some folders and files too. Especially on folders with big zipped self-extracting archives, or setup.exe/.cab files, or older .exe files (like old games). Just right after I go into a directory with such files erkln.exe process starts to use 60-99% of CPU and hangs all other processes for couple of minutes. All .exe icons at that moment is blue/white window. After NOD32 finished the scan normal icons begin to appear.

Disabling NOD32 resident scanner completely solves the problem.

I'm using 3.0.621. I _think_ this was not an issue in earlier versions.

13. Marcos

Do you use default program settings?

14. Gribus

Gribus Registered Member

Dear Marcos

I have the same problems ... it was never like this untill update 2786 popped up in the middle of watching a divx movie online....

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=197357

Before that update I never had any problems with the program ( V2.7 )

Ciao !
    Gribus

15. SlapnutSkits

I'm a bit of an idiot, so could somebody please talk me step by step on how to stop my problem?

Cheers.

16. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

The archive support module was updated today. Check to see if this fixes your problem. If not, remove the check for 'Advanced Heuristics' for the 'On-demand computer scan' as follows:

1. Click on 'Computer Scan' on the left margin.
    2. Click on 'Scan setup'
    3. Click on 'Setup' button to the right of 'Threatsense engine parameter setup'
    4. Click on 'Options' and remove the check for 'Advanced heuristics'

17. Chalawah

Chalawah Registered Member

Latest NOD32 Installed Components have resolved this issue for me. Thank you Eset team for your time and energy on this matter:

NOD32 v3.0.621.0
    Virus signature database: 2794 [200880115]
    Update module: 1019 [20071030]
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1102 [20080103]
    Advanced heuristic module: 1068 [20071119]
    Archive support module: 1067 [20080115]
    Cleaner module: 1024 [20071217]

18. ProTON

ProTON Registered Member

Sadly, the new archive module haven't helped.

I'm using non-default settings. Can I upload configuration XML here or send you personaly?

19. Marcos

You can send a customer care query using the integrated form and enclose this thread's url in the description field. Your configuration will be attached to the email we will receive. Before you submit a query, please make sure that advanced heuristics and runtime packers are disabled in the real-time protection setup (leave them enabled only for newly created/modified files).

20. ProTON

ProTON Registered Member

Disabling AH and runtime packers in real-time protection helped. But why I can't use the feature that exist o_O

21. Marcos

Enabling AH and runtime packers on access will siginificantly slow down the performance, hence it's enabled only for newly created/modified files by default.

22. ProTON

ProTON Registered Member

Well I can expect performance slow down. But should it take 30-40 minutes to scan one .exe file on 2ghz core 2 duo, 1gb of ram and gigabit network machine? This is unacceptable in my opinion.

23. Marcos

Well, it's likely if it's an installer or sfx archive with tons of embedded executables or dll's. Is the file in question downloadable from the web or could you send it by email?

24. ProTON

ProTON Registered Member

But it worked well in version 2.7. I had AH and runtime packers on run-time scan enabled there too.

25. Marcos

V2 doesn't have an option for using AH and runtime packers upon file access.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.