Latest update is causing NOD32 V3 100% CPU in Firefox

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Recall, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recall

Recall Registered Member

OK, I am using the trial and when I download this file:

Yet Another Smooth Scolling

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5846

or from here to rule out the site

http://www.aa.alpha-net.ne.jp/kataho/xpi/yass.html

Firefox freezes downloading, and my cpu runs up to 100% I tried a new profile and am also a nightly tester with FF ( using the official build for this ) so am proficient enough with that app to know it is not FF causing.

I ruled out FF by disabled NOD32 and downloading the file, it works fine. Now in internet explorer i can download it fine :S But in firefox either installing as an add-on or manually downloading freezes my whole system to 100% cpu.

Even disabling the AV when the cpu usage happens does not stop, it gets stuck in a loop, yet it does not show the what app is using the cpu.

I only know that i disable NOD32 and it works.

Any suggestions?

Specs

Intel E6600
    4GB Ram
    nVidia 8800GTS 640mb
    XFI Soundcard
    Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate ( fully up to date )

AV info

Virus signature database: 2785 (20080111)
    Update module: 1019 (20071030)
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1102 (20080103)
    Advanced heuristics module: 1068 (20071119)
    Archive support module: 1068 (20080110)
    Cleaner module: 1024 (20071217)

2. piranha

piranha Registered Member

First link, nothing but with the 2nd (download link)..... ekrn.exe to 99%

Firefox v2.0.0.11
    NOD32 AV v3.0.621.0

3. Recall

Recall Registered Member

Thanks for testing! Now I bet if you uninstall, then retry that first link it will lock up.

Anyway, I did a shed load of OS restart / new firefox profiles / NOD module disabling and I found the problem module.

Its the web access protection module, disable that and it works every time.

So NOD32 people, can you look in to this? Its only this file that is causing a problem, but not sure which update has caused it?

Its a big problem, as even disabling NOD32 and stopping as many services as possible it locks my cpu usage til i reboot.

4. Recall

Recall Registered Member

OK for some reason I cannot edit my post, so need to reply again :S

Anyway, i showed proccess for all users and indeed as mentioned its the NOD file :

EKRN.EXE

Now I found I can stop the loop by right clicking and ending the service, it still stays open but the cpu usage is back to normal.

Hope this is enough info to get it fixed!

5. piranha

I agree, i did it later too !! I killed ekrn process, it come back (or stay) and cpu is normal ! :thumb: After i uninstall the addon, didnt re-start FF and didnt reboot pc.

I just tried the first link again, sorry still nothing....

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

We'll have a look at it and fix it.

7. DWillens

DWillens Registered Member

Just fyi, I have version 0566 and I just noticed this problem come up within the past day or so. I have not made any changes to NOD32, FF, or my system during that time. Something in a recent update causing this? EKRN will go up to 100% and stay there until I end the process using task manager. Just wanted you to know that I can replicate this problem. I have not tried disabling web access protection.

8. Jazzgirl

Jazzgirl Registered Member

I thought it was just me! I have been having the same problem with my computer freezing when I'm in FireFox. I finally started Process Explorer and discovered ekrn.exe is using anywhere from 85-100%. I excluded FF in NOD32 and so far its better but this really needs to be fixed.

On edit: I actually wound up having to end the process in task manager. Please fix??!!??

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  9. Recall

Recall Registered Member

Thanks very much :D

Thanks to all the others for confirming the issue.

10. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

do this and tell is this fix your problem

Attached Files:

• ess.jpg
      ess.jpg
      File size:
      72.4 KB
      Views:
  11. Recall

Recall Registered Member

No it doesn't, nor does disabling advanced heuristics which I also tried.

12. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

I just downloaded it with no freezing at all. Gotta be a Vista problem I am on XP.

13. lk229

lk229 Registered Member

I started having a similar problem this morning. Everything was running extremely slow so I thought to do an On Demand scan, but it kept freezing with the ekrn.exe using 99% CPU resources. I did what you suggested above and turned off the threat sense for email, and now the ekrn.exe usage stays at 50% but my on demand local disk scan keeps freezing this time at 45%). It freezes at different files each time so it's not the file.

Please give us a way to roll back to whatever changed in the latest updates. I upgraded to v3 a few weeks ago and had no problems until this morning.

14. DWillens

DWillens Registered Member

I agree that it seems to be something in an update from yesterday, either 2784 or 2785. I am running 3.0.0566 on an XP machine, using FF and Thunderbird. Never had any problems until yesterday late.

I do seem to have gotten the 100% CPU usage to stop if I turn off the email checker (see my posts on the other thread).

15. Dieselman

Version 566 is old. Try version 621.

16. hobo05

hobo05 Registered Member

I also have the same problem of getting 100% CPU, while using Firefox and I do have the new 621 version. Disabling NOD32 from the System tray didn't work, nor did ending the service (it returned an error message about how the "Requested control is not valid for the service", not sure how people ended their ekrn.exe service if that is the case. I'm using Vista Business. Only thing that worked was ending the ekrn.exe process and waiting for a while (as it came back up and went back to 100% and dipped off).

17. Dieselman

Its gotta be a Vista problem cause I have 2 XP machines. One laptop and one desktop and no problems what so ever using FF. I also use Faster Fox extension.

18. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please update to the latest version 2787 which contains a fix for the issue.

19. Jorge Antunes

Jorge Antunes Registered Member

Hi all,
    I've just installed ESS in a fresh formated pc (XP) and have made all updates available including 2787, but still have the high cpu load problem...

20. Jorge Antunes

Jorge Antunes Registered Member

Edit:just rebooted the pc and everything seems fine.
    Thanks

21. Recall

Recall Registered Member

Thanks, it does indeed fix the issue for me :D You have just earned yourself a new loyal customer.

22. apm

apm Registered Member

when a few IE7 windows is opened for some time and then Show Desktop, ekrn.exe use 50% CPU and desktop icons are gone, it takes about 15 sec to show up correct icons and for CPU to calm down.
    http://xs123.xs.to/xs123/08031/ekrn1194.jpg

Up-to-date EAV 3.0.621, In Advanced setup: Antivirus and Antispyware setup Objects & Options all selected, Realtime file system protection setup Objects & Options all selected.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  23. piranha

Advanced heuristics is not necessary in real time protection. Only for new or modified files (AH is set by default for them), all other were already checked by NOD32, dont wast cpu power and disabled AH for real time protection...... set it by default

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.