Looking for Some Advice...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by The Sand, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Sand

The Sand Registered Member

Hi everybody... I have TI 10 and just did a restore - everything went well and I am SO grateful!!! I have had no problems using TI 10 in regard to backing up and restoring. The sad thing is I have to restore at all - but I have Vista and things go wrong (I did an AOL upgrade today and everything went nuts.)

I was talking to my sister tonight about what happened today with my Vista. She just bought a Mac (partly because of the problems I have had with Vista.) I looked at the Acronis manual and see Acronis doesn't support Mac. She thinks she doesn't need anything like this... that Mac's don't ever have problems. She's not into this kind of stuff anyway... I think it's a good idea to have something like Acronis - to backup your entire operating system for it has saved me a number of times. What do you think? Do you need this type of software if you have a Mac? And if so what product do you like...

Thanks for considering...

Sandy :)

2. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

A MAC uses a hardrive.
    Harddrives fail.
    Data on failed harddrives are lost.

So I guess it depends if she values her data.

3. The Sand

I should have added that she does indeed backup her data - her pictures, music, etc. I was thinking more about backing up her entire computer image... If that can be done on a Mac - or if it is even needed on a Mac - I just don't know...

Sandy

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Well, IMO, she has the important stuff backed up since you can always re-install the OS and apps from the CDs as long as you are smart enough to know where you put them and kept any required keys and serial numbers.

There is nothing magic about the Mac that keeps the HD or any other part of it from failing and wiping out the OS and anything else - it can happen and does happen. A number of years ago Apple got a bad bunch of HDs and this was indeed a problem.

Macs now use the same Intel processors, the same memory and the same HDs as PCs.

5. The Sand

Well if they use the same stuff then it's an inevitability. I always thought (or heard) that Mac's were "immune" to failure. Or that failure was extremely rare.

I have done some checking and there is software that works like Acronis for Mac's but I don't know anybody personally who owns a Mac that uses that kind of software to ask them. The last time I did "research" and bought software without the good ole "word of mouth" I was sadly disappointed.

I was just hoping somebody here might own a Mac and could give me the heads up on this...

Thanks for your input....

Sandy

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Mac's are subject to programming bugs jsut like all other computers inthe world. MAC's use electronic cicuits and electromechanical hard drives -- both of which are subject to the laws of physics and therefore failure. All electromechanicnal harddrives fail eventually, it's just a question of time -- manufacturers will usually publish Mean Time Between Failures, which can give you some idea of about how long samples of a particfular model of harddrive can be expected to last, on average. Of cfourse, many last less time and many last longer.

Backing up is the best way to ensure that you can restore after a severe failure such as a hard drive going wonky.

7. davec999

davec999 Registered Member

Hi, a friend of mine has a Mac with th latest OS (Leopard) installed. He says it has a great backup solution built-in. I think its called Timezone but, i might be wrong. He has just bought a 500 GB external drive to backup to and says all is working well.

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

rotlmfao

I'm pretty sure Jobs started this myth but it is pure fancy. Apple products not only are subject to the laws of physics like everyone else (mechanical devices eventually wear out and electronic devices are subject to physical failure) but apple programming is not exempt from the ocassional bug, missing error handler routine, or program conflict -- for a simple example, consider Ipods that stop playing in the middle of a song -- little stuff like that.

With closed systems, some apple prodcuts don't have the variety of hardware and therefore don't have as many driver issues as the rest of the PC world but take a look at the history and you'll see that Apple still has to issue updates with fixes just like everyone else -- sometimes several updates within a few months time

My experience is that apple products can benefit greatly from security software, backup software, etc.

sh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.