4 GB RAM --> corrupt images?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cyberherby, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyberherby

cyberherby Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I am a Acronis TrueImage user since version 9. :) Now I've upgraded to v11 (build #8064). Since I've updated my PC a few weeks ago there's a real problem with creating backups from boot-CD.
    Sometimes TrueImage crashed during creating the image file. In every case the image was corrupt when verifying it. :(
    Then I tried old version 9 (in safe mode) --> same problem.
    Memtest86+ and other test procedures (running Prime95 for dozens of hours) were finished succesfully.

System:
    Intel E6750
    Gigabyte P35-DS3R
    2x 2 GB g.skill DDR2-800
    several HDs

Yesterday I had an idea because of a screen report I could watch for a short time before the PC resetted (something like "unknown memory adress"):
    with F11 I added 'mem=2048M' to kernel start parameters and now: IT WORKS.
    I can reproduce it: even a Image created with '2048M' shows as "corrupt" when verifying it running without '2048M', but works when verifying it running with '2048M'.

Is this a known problem?
    My presumption: due to my hardware (7950 GX2, Soundblaster X-Fi platinum, RAID5-function of chipset enabled) there seems to be left only 3 GB RAM for 32bit operating systems (at least WinXP pro reports that). Could it be possible that the Linux kernel does not calculate correctly the amount of the RAM?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  2. mustang

mustang Developer

This is a known problem. Having too much ram can overwhelm True Image. I'm not sure how Linux sees the ram. Perhaps it is using all 4 GB. Windows XP has limits on the ram. I think it is something like 4 GB of system memory. This would include the swap file. It's typical for WIN XP to report 3 GB of physical ram when there are 4 GB installed.

3. cyberherby

Thx for your reply! :) At least I'm not alone with this issue.

I'm not sure with this: but this problem with winxp showing ~3GB (more or less) while 4GB are installed should be a problem all 32bit systems have (due to the pci adress space which must be below 4 GB). As far as I know only 64bit systems can use all of the 4GB.

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Isn't part of the issue with xp that some of the memory addresses are saved for various system memory devices? Since XP maxes at 4GB and some memory addresses are reserved, then you can only seeless than 4GB available memory no matter how much you install.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cyberherby,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that we have not heard about such problems of Acronis True Image 11 Home before and so we would like to investigate this one with your assistance, if you have time for this of course.

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the issue thoroughly?

Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post both with and without "mem=2048M" parameter.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. cyberherby

Thank you for your help! :)

I have created the sysinfo files and submitted them to the technical support.
    When I receive an answer or a solution I will post it here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.