ekrn.exe

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by piranha, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piranha

piranha Registered Member

(RESOLVED) ekrn.exe

Nod32 v3.0.566.0

I have ekrn.exe using 80 up to 99% of CPU this morning, dont know why. No system scan is scheduled. Nothing is running in back ground

I already tried to repair Nod32 whit no success. What is the bug ?

Should I uninstall and re install it o_O

XP home SP2
    P3- 733
    512 Mo ram

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  2. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

3. piranha

Yes i am !

Ok i will try the new version..... but I enabled program component update, why did i still have version 566 o_O

Pourquoi il ne se met pas à jour lui-même à cette version ? J'ai autoriser la MAJ programme o_O

4. piranha

same problem at startup with the 621 version, the nod32 icon in the task bar dont appear but it take almost all cpu power. I tried to kill ekrn.exe task, it came back again and again, i killed it again and again and it came again and...... grrrrrrr

http://www.internetaumax.org/images/Capture_12292007_104234.JPG

no problem to kill egui.exe task

:mad: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

Finally, i restart control center and it is ok, it is weird... Dont want to do that each startup grrrrr :mad: o_O

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  5. THE_BAD_BOY

THE_BAD_BOY Registered Member

yeah thats really bad from eset that its so easy to kill ekrn.exe procces with no problem i wish they add self protection just like kaspersky :)

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

:eek: Are you really able to kill ekrn that easily so that your computer remains unprotected? Could you please tell me how?

7. piranha

easy to kill ?? no, it is not easy to kill, ekrn.exe came back each times i kill it when it takes all cpu power

when nod32 works normally, ekrn.exe and egui.exe are easy to kill and dont come back

BTW, is there another way to close nod32 by killing task ? In 2.7 version, it have quit button, there is no one in v3

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

EGUI.EXE is the user interface and it is not running as a service , no protection , so it can be killed. User interface has no role in the process of protection .

EKRN.EXE is the kernel , it is important for the protection , it is running as a service .

I would recommend that you try to reinstall EAV , start from the beginning . Make sure there are no other antivirus/antimalware software running or leftovers and use default settings to see how it works for you.

By the way , how much RAM do you have ? It also seems you have a lot of processes running

Marcos has written that Eset will improve self-protection in the future.

9. yaslaw

yaslaw Registered Member

10. piranha

there is no others AV or antimalware softaware runnings when i installed nod32. Registry was cleaned

yes i come back to default settings with some minor changes, seems better. I detete too automatic update after user logon and set it to first startup of the day. i will see if it is better this way before re-install nod32 AV

For my RAM, looks in my first post, 512 mb ram

i will take a look to processes, delete some if possible and optimize XP services

thanks

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Your screenshot shows Ad-Aware 2007 service running ;) Forget it

12. piranha

yep.....oupsss dont know why it is there, i have free version

i stop it in xp services, it was set to automatic, new settings to manual.

13. piranha

a buddy in a french forum resolve my problem. I recently see that svchost.exe goes to 99% cpu (2-3 minutes) right after ekrn.exe decrease from 99% (10 minutes) to 0% cpu

in fact the problem was svchost.exe and not ekrn.exe

http://wongablog.co.uk/2007/01/21/microsoft-update-and-svchost-100-cpu-usage/

i installes the 927891 update and 2 minutes after the reboot ekrn.exe decrease from 99 to 0% cpu. And svchost (system) stay calm to 0%

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B927891&x=13&y=14

MS and/or Windows was the probl, not NOD32 ;)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.