Difference between ATI10 and Seagate DiscWizard

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by PaulB2005, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Can anyone tell me the difference between my paid for version of ATI 10 and the free Seagate DiscWizard program (powered by Acronis) available for free on Seagate website? I can't find a list of missing functions etc

Bit annoyed to have paid for this software when my HDD vendor is giving it away for free?!:eek: Manual - Click here (1.32 MB PDF)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  2. thecreator

thecreator Registered Member

Hi Paul,

I think the main difference is that the Seagate version will only work on Seagate or now Maxtor Hard Drives also, since Seagate acquired Maxtor.

I don't think that the tool will work with Western Digital Hard Drives or another other Hard Drive brand.

Just my opinion. I only have Seagate and Maxtor Hard Drives in my computers.

The Acronis Brand should work on any Brand of Hard Drives.

3. PaulB2005

I thought the same. I only use Seagates in my main PC, my backup / storage / spare / old PC has a Seagate main (C) drive and a Western Digital backup / storage (D) drive - donated by a friend when scrapping his PC.

Seagate Disc Wizard is currently making an image of the WD disk to the Seagate. Perhaps the presence of just one Seagate disk allows the softwares use.....

The license states

But there doesn't appear to be any software restriction in place.

(I've also asked Seagate for an answer....)

Whilst i feel ATI is worth paying for and i don't begrudge Acronis a penny, it grates a bit....

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  4. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

Yup, you need at least one Seagate disk. I recently cloned from a Seagate to a Hitachi, but when I tried to open the program with the Hitachi and an external WD it informed me I need a Seagate.

Also, it will only back up your entire computer. No incremental back ups, no my data, no my application settings, no my email unless you buy ATI 11 at 40% off.

5. PaulB2005

Ah...

Ah nuts. I do a backup daily but always do an entire PC backup. Never do incrementals or any specific backup.....

6. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

As long as there ANY Seagate/Maxtor drive, the program will work.
    But, it is missing features that are in the retail version.
    Compare the documentation.
    You are better off with the retail version.

7. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

Actually, let me amend that, you can backup the entire disk or which ever drive you want C: D: etc and you need to do it manually.

8. PaulB2005

Which is still no different to what i do now....

9. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I don't think the Seagate version can mount images IIRC correctly.

Colin

10. PaulB2005

Worked fine yesterday. Mounted an image, opened a file and extracted one....

11. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

12. PaulB2005

thomasjk - Thanks

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Just a few opinions of my own to add to this topic. I found Seagates DiskWizard powered by Acronis less stable on installation as opposed to running it indirectly via a CD. It's been a BSOD matter, nothing serious, but every bootup blue screened my Seagate but subsequent second boot went ok then. So theres always a reason when you find something on this order available for free, theres a trade-off someplace. It's up to the user to try to make the most of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.