Cannot Create Backup Locations

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sparkymachine, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparkymachine

sparkymachine Registered Member

Hi, firstly, I run XP Home and the latest builds of everything, cleanly installed.

I've been using True Image for some months along with Disk Director and had no problems at all until now. I back up the system partition to the secure zone on a 2nd HDD and duplicate to DVD. For other partitions and data I use backup locations, also on 2nd HDD. I've done system and other restores a few times without any problems.

This time I needed to restore to a system backup taken on 17th November - seems I had three corrupt url's in the favourites folder which I subsequently found were corrupted some time since then. The MFT was corrupted because I couldn't delete them.

So, the restore went fine and I went about applying the system changes I wanted to do. The last thing I needed to do was to recreate the tasks I had set up in TI. However, when I tried to recreate the backup locations, TI just hangs there. I can create a new folder or select an existing location but after clicking NEXT nothing happens.

True Image is still running, not 'not responding', but not doing anything - no I/O's, cpu time, or anything else is clocking up, so it isn't looping either. All the TI services and startups appear to be running.

I've tried all sorts - repairing, uninstalling/reinstalling, tried using different partitions, but with the same result. Nothing appears in the TI log or in windows event log.

I could restore again and try it before doing anything else. The major installations I have done are NIS 2008 and Nero8 so may be one of those is interfering - anyone any ideas?

Sparky

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Which version of TI are you using?

Colin

3. sparkymachine

Version 11 build 8053 wihich I've been using since it was released.

Backup up two full partitions last night without using locations and a test restore and it all worked fine. Is very odd this because I've created locations before with no problem.

Merry Christmas everyone by the way :) :D

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sparkymachine,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with disabled logging.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Reinstall Acronis drivers with enabled logging;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also clarify, where are you creating Acronis Backup Location?

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. sparkymachine

Hi

New drivers made no difference.
    I take it you mean 'Remove Acronis drivers and Install again' rather than reinstall, cos there isn't a way to reinstall, only repair or remove.
    Anyway, I installed with logging enabled and tried to create a location. TI stopped, so I tried to find the snap log file - there isn't one anywhere. So I stopped TI with task manager and looked again - nothing.

Ok, done that.

I've tried all sorts of locations including the ones that worked the first time!

I've sent what I have to tech support.

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Sparky,
    Have you tried pre-creating the folder inside Windows Explorer.
    Then open TrueImage and create your new task and select the new folder as your backup location.

You might even be able to delete the old folder using Windows Explorer and then re-create the same folder name again. Then open TrueImage and create your new tasks.

If you already have a task created, I would delete the old task before creating a new task.

When using Backup locations, Backup filename will be assigned by TI and beyond user control.
    It might be prudent to empty the temp folder and clear the re-cylce bin if you plan on using the same folder name again.

7. sparkymachine

Hi Grover, yes, thats what I've done for now, so apart from the file names the backup strategies can be the same but without the control that locations can provide.

I've had to re-create the tasks anyway but have twice as many now cos there is no automatic control.

I've now heard back from tech support and I've got to go thru all the manual uninstall and bla bla, so I will have to begin all over anyway lol.

Apart from that I knocked my coffee over and shorted out the power supply to my monitor. I think the monitor is ok but the transformer thing is not of this world any more. So I now have a new 19" monitor and can get on with it.

Its like Christmas :D

8. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Sparky,
    This is just a shot in the dark; you might try the registry edit in this post: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=163491#2.

In Version 10, if a Backup Location was deleted without using the TI Wizard, editing or deleting backup locations could cause an error message and crash the program, until the registry entries were deleted.

9. sparkymachine

Hi CatFan, thanks for that.
    There are no entries in the registry there though.
    :)

10. sparkymachine

Your shot in the dark was brilliant Cat.

If you read my first entry, I decided to repeat the restore I did (17th Nov backup). Then before anything else I checked the registry entries as they were on that date. There were two reg entries which correspond to the two locations I had in TI. However, those two physical locations no longer exist because throughout the last month I altered things. The locations are all on my partition Z:Backups\

Since I never thought of it at the time, I can't remember what I did first time around - I certainly didn't create folders so they matched with TI though. It must have let me remove the locations in TI however and the problems occured when I tried to create new locations.

This time I have created the folders (empty), THEN removed the TI locations. And now it has allowed me to create new locations woooo hooooo, lol. Plus I checked the registry entries and they match reality:D

So, even though I'm not exactly sure what I did to upset TI, at least I don't have to go all through the manual uninstall and will be aware of this in the future.

I did ask Acronis a while ago whether there was a way to save TI's current tasks and locations and settings so that they could be applied to a restored system if required. Obviously, I only restored my C:System partition but D,E,F,G, and Z stayed the same. I have one backup which takes small bits of info like my NetLimiter data, games status, cookiewall data, and other things like that, which I can recover over the top of any system restore I may do. Just because I restore doesn't mean my internet traffic counts get rolled back - know what I mean. But Acronis said they could only offer me image backup - well, I reckon most of us already worked that one out, lol.

Thanks again, your posting inspired me:thumb: :) :thumb:

Oh, and my new monitor is dead smart too, hehe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.