Internet connection sharing (ICS) : compatible ?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by znation, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. znation

znation Registered Member

Hi,

I've seen on Eset website that Microsoft Windows Internet Connection Sharing was incompatible with ESET Smart Security (beta).

I wonder if it's compatible right now with the latest version.

I tried but i didn't find the way to do it.

Thanks.

2. znation

No idea o_O

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Can you share with us this site , where have u seen this ?

4. znation

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are reading too old information , I guess ESET should remove it completely from the site

The information refferes things for the beta1 and beta builds , now we have commercial release , non-beta official release

Things which are corrected for sure:
    • Real-time scanning module does not support file exclusions
    • Signature version is not displayed in tooltip of ESET Smart Security icon in the Notification Area (System Tray).
    • Suspicious files cannot be manually submitted to ESET using ThreatSense.Net.
    • Integration with context (popup) menus is not yet available.
    • ESET Smart Security cannot be managed by the currently-available version of Remote Administrator.

Stuff I have no information for:

• Microsoft Windows Internet Connection Sharing is current incompatible with ESET Smart Security.
    • ESET Personal Firewall and Antispam modules cannot be disabled during installation.
    • Command-line interface is not yet available
    • Infected files that have been quarantined by ESET Smart Security when they were detected in the Local System context (e.g., newly-created files detected by the real-time file system protection) cannot be viewed in the list of quarantined files.
    • Performing a custom scan and selecting removable drives with unmounted media causes the scan to exit with 0 objects scanned.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No matter the above list , here are instructions which you can try and check if ICS can happen on your computers

Basically you need to use Interactive Mode and create a rule to allow all the traffic from and/or to the machine which will receive internet from your computer.

In details:

Open the user interface (GUI) . Enter the Advanced Setup Tree (F5)

1. Navigate to Personal Firewall. Choose Interactive Mode

2. Navigate to Personal Firewall -> Rules and zones . In the right (at the Trusted zone part) , click Setup and choose "Allow sharing"

3. Navigate to Personal Firewall -> IDS and Advanced options
    Make sure all services are allowed (a.k.a 4 services)

4. In Personal firewall -> IDS and advanced options , enabled logging . Press OK.

Then, open Personal firewall > Rules and zones > Zone and rule setup
    Choose "Toggle detailed view of all riles" (if already not set to this)
    Uncheck every rule that has in the name Block. Press Apply button now. Confirm with OK.

Start creating new rule (use the button called "New")

Name : your choice
    Direction : Both
    Action : Allow
    Protocol : TCP & UDP

Additional action:
    check Log

In Local tab - do not touch here . If there is no info entered , ESS will allow communication from and to any port (a.k.a all ports)
    In Remote choose - here enter just the IP address or the IP range of the machine(s) which will get internet from you - example 192.168.16.1 .

Confirm with OK . Try again.

7. znation

Thanks you Hitech !!!

I follow your advices and it works perfectly !!!

I just created the rule and let's go !

Not necessary to uncheck "block" rules (i didn't want because it wouldn't be a firewall anymore if everything is allowed!) and no need to allow all services in IDS and Advanced options i just let default settings !

Thanks a lot for your help !!!

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome :thumb:

So , the above list turns this way:

Bye and Happy new Year!!! :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.