Restore errors

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mcepek, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcepek

mcepek Registered Member

I decided to check that Acronis could faithfully restore my backed up data.

Performing a full restore (fortunately to a temporary destination) failed. Here's an example of the data from the Acronis log (manually wrapped for readability):

<event id="11" level="4" module="4" code="26" time="1198099074"
    message="Failed to restore file or folder 'sitedemo.url'.
    Failed to restore file or folder. (0x4001A)
    Path = &quot;\\?\E:\testRestore\Documents and Settings\mcepek\Favorites\Links\sitedemo.url&quot;,
    Hints = 1)
    Tag = 0xA8A1022BD18AE0FB
    The system cannot find the path specified (0xFFF0)
    code = 80070003)
    Tag = 0xBD28FDBD64EDB8AF: Retry/Ignore/ignore All/Cancel" />

The source of the backup was my brand new Dell Latitude D820 60GB local hard drive (My Computer - Disks and Partitions - NTFS C: - no exclusions). The backup destination is a Western Digital 160GB USB 2.0 external hard drive. The temporary restore destination was to a different location on that same WD 160GB external drive.

Four files failed to restore as shown above. One other file failed with:

<event id="23" level="4" module="4" code="1" time="1198103828"
    message="Failed to restore file or folder 'A0001594.exe'.
    Error reading the file. (0x40001)
    Tag = 0x61F1883FE50B0A30
    Internal error: start sector is outside input stream (0x70001)
    Tag = 0x4DCA6BCAF26CD968: Retry/Ignore/ignore All/Cancel" />

Actually, many other files may have been missed, since I answered "Ignore All" after several of these error dialogs interrupted my work. Which leads me to ask this...

QUESTION: Does clicking "Ignore All" during restore errors suppress only the pop-up dialogs, or does it also suppress error message in the .log file?

My main QUESTION, however, is: why am I getting restore errors with brand new software and hardware?

This leads me to question the integrity of the backups.

Version: Acronis True Image Home v11.0 (build 8,053), licensed
    RAID: no

2. mcepek

mcepek Registered Member

Attaching the Acronis Report Utility (report.txt).

Could not attach the Windows System Information (.nfo) due to forum attachment limitations.

Attached Files:

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mcepek,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with disabled logging.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Reinstall Acronis drivers with enabled logging;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please collect the application log of the operation:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the log with error messages;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Please also clarify, have you created a disk/partition image or files/folders backup? Have you restored in files/folders mode or disk/partition mode?

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

All errors occured are reflected in log files regardless of "ignore all" setting.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. mcepek

mcepek Registered Member

You wrote:
    Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with disabled logging.
    If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:
    - Reinstall Acronis drivers with enabled logging;

It seems I have to uninstall these drivers before I can reinstall them.

1) Please confirm - is that right?

2) I suggest you modify your boilerplate support response to clarify that (specifically, clarify that "Reinstall" part).

3) Consider making it easier to enable and disable logging without having to uninstall and reinstall this additional software.

5. Acronis Support

Hello mcepek,

Please notice that there is no need to uninstall drivers. In this case, "reinstall" means "install again".

Please be aware that Acronis Drivers are not additional software. It's a newer version of drivers already installed with Acronis True Image.

Thank you for your suggestion to add user interface to Acronis Drivers pack. I will submit it to our experts. If you want us to change the behavior of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. mcepek

mcepek Registered Member

Regarding:

Please notice that there is no need to uninstall drivers. In this case, "reinstall" means "install again".

The problem is that when I "install again" your installer doesn't give me a choice to enable logging.

On 23-Dec in this thread you instructed me to first install these drivers with logging disabled, then (since the issue persisted) reinstall the drivers with logging enabled. As far as I can tell, it's not possible to enable logging without first removing the drivers. The instructions you gave don't work.

I've attached a screen shot (SnapApiInstaller.gif) of the opening dialog of the "Acronis Drivers" installer (SnapAPI.337_s_e.msi) when it is run a second time (without removing it). As you can see, the available choices are "Repair" and "Remove" -- there is no choice to "reinstall".

Selecting the "Repair" choice does not give me an option to select "enabled logging" or "disabled logging". After it finishes, though, it does warn me to reboot. :mad:

The only way I get a choice about logging is (1) the very first time I install the drivers, or (2) by using "Remove" and then running the "Acronis Drivers" installer again. Only then do I see the logging choice dialog (attached screen shot loggingDialog.png).

Is there some other way to "reinstall" the drivers or enable logging??

Attached Files:

7. mcepek

mcepek Registered Member

I followed the instructions on 23-Dec, but couldn't find any additional logging.

There were no files named snap*.log on my C: drive - I used Windows File Explorer to search the entire drive.

I did install the Acronis Drivers with Logging Enabled (see first screen shot below). I then performed another restore, which again failed on several files. The second screen shot should answer your "mode" question (files/folders/disk/partition).

This restore takes hours to complete, requires user interaction (to click "Ignore" on the error dialogs which appear), and slows down my machine. I have work to do. It annoys me to have followed your instructions to obtain additional logging, only to end up with nothing.

Any other recommendations before I try to submit this to Acronis Technical Support without the snapapiXXX.log file?

Attached Files:

8. Acronis Support

Hello mcepek,

You are correct that the drivers need to be uninstalled first. I'm terribly sorry for providing misleading information.

Could you please clarify, if you the archive is a disk/partition image or a file/folders backup? Both types can be restored in files and folders mode.

Please try exploring the archive and copying out the files specified in error messages manually. Please also try performing the procedure using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media. Please inform us about the results.

Then submit a request for technical support with the subject indicating that you want to contact Marat Setdikov. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

9. mcepek

mcepek Registered Member

Could you please clarify, if you the archive is a disk/partition image or a file/folders backup? Both types can be restored in files and folders mode.
    As shown in the screen shot: Backup Type: Image
    Please try exploring the archive and copying out the files specified in error messages manually.
    I was able to explore the archive fine. Restoring one file specifically worked fine. Restoring three other files by restoring a parent directory (with other files) also worked fine. Fortunately I didn't have this problem with hundreds or thousands of files in my archive.
    Please also try performing the procedure using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media.
    I did not make rescue media, and have spent far too much time troubleshooting this to go through this extra effort.

I cannot submit a request for technical support for this yet, as I am waiting for our IT staff to provide me with the serial number they used when they installed your software on my machine. TIP: it sure would be nice to be able to look up my product serial number from, say, the About box.

Also, I thought I was clear in pointing out that I do not have a snapapiXXX.log file. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers with logging enabled, but no additional log file was produced. Shall I submit to Tech Support without that file?

10. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

My TI Home Version 10 does show serial number in the "about" box.

11. Acronis Support

Hello mcepek,

Thank you for the provided information.

Since the snapapi log couldn't be created, please submit the support request without it.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

12. mcepek

mcepek Registered Member

T11 doesn't -- attaching screen shot.

I have submitted a product comment about this issue to Acronis (their #1281224).

I'll submit a support request if/when I get the product serial number from our IT dept; I'm still waiting.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.