Exclusion Question

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Marv Gordon, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marv Gordon

Marv Gordon Registered Member

I am having issues with file exclusions not working via .xml settings in version 3.0.566 (business environment so this is a BIG deal...not going to attempt to edit 210 workstations individually).

The question is....

Are variables supported ? Ex %systemroot%\ntfrs, %windir%\xyz etc....?

Note: I have tried setting up a single C:\blah\blah exclusion and that doesn't work either....

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi !

With the Home edition I use everyday , this works . When I tried this on BE a few days ago , it worked too .

There is something different , however . In v3 if you want to exclude anything (subfiles and sibfolders) , you must make the exclusions this way:

C:\Testdir\test\*

with one start at the end , this will make the program exclude any folder and any file in (example) C:\C:\Testdir\test\

However , exclusion in this way only:
    C:\Testdir\test\

will not work

Exlucions in this way:
    C:\Testdir\test\*.*
    will only exclude files in the folder named test

Have no idea if variables are supported , but I'll check

3. Marv Gordon

I tested by creating an exclude on my machine then using Remote administrator to dowload my config and save.

I then removed the exclusion from my machine and tried to push it back. No luck. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled using the configuration i had created....no luck.

File exclusions just don't show up via customized .xml install.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

At the moment I am sitting at a machine with v2 . Will try what you say . Please , check the thread again in a couple of hours. :thumb:

EDIT : I noticed in another thread you have contacted ESET Support

5. Marv Gordon

Yes.. I contacted them and was told to go back to the previous version....Not a good answer for reasons posted :)

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi again!

So , I tried again . I created a config file from my own version (export settings) and I have chosen to exclude folder called DOS programs in the main C:\

I got this file , with the ERAC selected all clients - pushed a new Task - configuration task and they accepted the exclusion I have created (C:\DOS programs\*)

So , the conclusions - it works here . I have no idea why it is not working in your case.

By the way , here is a proof that the exclusion actually got written in the config file

exclusions.PNG

Bye!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2007
  7. guest

guest Guest

Just got 3.0 here, not working for me either. Works if you use the "+ Folder" button and select a path on the local machine. If you manually enter the path then click "Add" it doesn't work after applying the Configuration to a client. Also if you open up the XML file the source is differen't between the "+ Folder" entires and the manually Added entries.

8. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

Applying exclusions doesn't currently work if you push a configuration file created by ERA. If you push a configuration file that was exported from a client GUI, it does work.

Some of the user interface settings like Display Alerts and Show Splash don't work with either method but they don't work if you export from the GUI and then import in the GUI either. The XML file has the splash-screen value and there is a registry hack you can apply to clients at logon to set this value but you can't push a configuration to set it.

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

In the first sentence you mean "if you push a config file created by the Configuration editior in the BE , right ?

I created my config file via the export settings option but I did push it to 3 machines and they got the configuration correctly

10. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

Yes. I found some settings such as exclusions simply didn't appear on clients when the config file was created by using the Remote Administrator Configuration Editor. If I created the config file from the front end or from the GUI, the settings were applied correctly.

One thing I never tried and which may or may not be the entire issue. I never saved only the version 3 settings using ERA. I saved the entire configuration file so maybe V2 settings were conflicting with V3 settings.

I've since resolved all my issues and have Nod32 V3.0 running across three Networks without any issues at all. I do have scan all files turned off on clients. After a BMP virus got through XMON and Outlook but was identified by the user (Photo.zip), I added BMP to all extension lists and turned scan all files back on on the XMON server. After reverting back to 2.7 on the XMON server, I mistakenly unticked Scan All Files in XMON.

11. Marv Gordon

I'll try creating it outside of the RAC.....

12. Marv Gordon

I was trying to manually enter paths as I was using various MS documents on things to exclude from scans etc....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.