How much have you spent on security applications?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Osaban, Dec 8, 2007.

?

How much have you spent on security applications?

1. Nothing, always freeware

53 vote(s)
    42.7%
  2. up to 200 US $

50 vote(s)
    40.3%
  3. between 200 and 500 US $

10 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. more than 500 US $

13 vote(s)
    10.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I was wondering about the antimalware security industry, and how much was my financial contribution eversince I bought my first computer: Well if I have to include adblockers, antispam programs, and various imaging programs on top of the ubiquitous AVs, FWs, it all adds up to a staggering 600 US $ in excess, in less then 4 years.

I like to think that even though this might have helped research into fighting malware, it seems to me nonetheless a lot of money!

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Way too much in the beginning but now am very thrifty and cleverly selective in those choices.

I absolutely don't even consider items like adblockers, antispam programs as such and i 95% use IE 6 exclusively with the remaining 5% Opera when i feel up to it.

I used to spend much in donations to freeware developers and still believe thats a very wise and practical contribution to those efforts. I now limit my commercial purchases to programs that are proven to withstand the test of time w/ reasonable support.

As to a dollar figure, please don't give me a headache, money spent the past year or so on XP Pro has returned far more dividends then the O/S before. I shutter to reflect back how naive and wasteful those efforts were compared to today.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

This is true, in the beginning I was also quite reckless: Imagine to get NIS + KAV (and its dedicated firewall) + Ghost 9 + the European VAT, only to use them less than a year. Nowadays a combination of freewares and some knowledge would save you a lot of money.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I have spent USD130 on two copies of ATI (9 & 10) and TU2006 in the last 2 years, but these are not security apps per se - hence the total spending is 0.
    Mrk

5. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Let's see:

1) Run DEP for all programs = $0

2) Antivir free (guard set to write only) = $0 LOL!

3) Vista's firewall= $0

4) Leaving Vista's UAC on= $0 (at least for me)

5) Router= $50

6) Firefox with noscript, adblock plus= $0

7) FirstDefense ISR (just in case I goof)=$69

:cool: Returnil= $0

9) Blue Coat K9 web protection (protects family from inappropriate sites) = $0

10) Run Windows Defender real time protection only=$0

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I like to add for the record that if anyone is a fiercely freeware proponant it's always been me, "BUT", developers of World-Class reliable security programs must earn a living and that can only come from the sharing in product's sales, or else they may have to work in McDonalds or a Car Wash to pay the bills and keep a roof over their head plus eat a meal now and then.

I wouldn't gloat over everything protecting my investment is always free, because in spite of the fact plenty of FREE programs are available to us, imagine a world where there was no such thing as freeware at all. How many of us would even bother with a computer then let alone the expense for it's connection services?

It's an ethical practice of mine to support BOTH freeware developers AND occasionally commercial security products for the PC because for me thats just playing fair.

7. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Up to this summer I believe I have spent up to 500 dollars, probably more on security software through the past 7 years since I became interrested in computer security.
    I dont know if imaging and snapshot software are considered as security software, but those are the only two I paid for that I actually use nowdays, except a small and effective firewall. After I moved on to a limited account I have no need for additional security software. Well I keep a free av just in case, but my computer habits are such that I planning on remove that too. Even when I was roaming the dark side of the net with full armour I had really hard time getting my arsenal to find anything malicious.

8. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Same here. When I joined first Wilders, I was going crazy with Security Software.

Now I have a Router, FD ISR and DefenseWall. The rest its freeware

9. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Add me to that group. I'd say i,ve spent upwards of $400.00 in the past for security software but at present the only pay app i have is my AV.

snowbound

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

There seems to be a pattern here, a kind of retail therapy concerning an initial paranoia that tends to wear off with the onset of some kind of security knowledge.

People who've recently joined Wilders beware! Hold your horses and stay away from your credit cards.

11. herbalist

herbalist Guest

For actual security apps, I've spent 0. If you count ATI as a security app, I bought a copy in mid 2005, don't remember the price. I would have purchased SSM paid for my 2K box but my beta tester license made it free.

If you count security hardware, I converted an old P5-133 into a hardware firewall using Smoothwall. Total cost was 2 networks cards and one crossover cable, approx $50.

The freeware apps I use are more than sufficient protection. IMO, the protection afforded by freeware apps is equal to or better than the payware apps. For me, the combination of Kerio 2.1.5, SSM free, and Proxomitron has been unbeatable regardless of price.

The biggest difference I see is that the payware apps do more of the configuring and other work for you. You're paying for the support service and the infrastructure it uses with features like auto-updating and automatic rule creation. With freeware apps, you pay with your time, the time spent learning and configuring. Then again, you could say the same for payware apps, except that you put the time in at your job. How many hours have you worked to pay someone else (the vendor) to do something you could have learned to do yourself, like writing good firewall rules?
    Rick

12. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Too much.

13. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Well, I must say it is always freeware for me- I trust only in software I wrote by myself.

14. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

If I could write Software, I would probably do the same thing.:cool:

15. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I selected nothing because wisely using rebates all my security software has been free for the last few years.

16. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

As I see it, there are three sources of freeware:

1. Commercial development companies. This is business advertising
    expense, not a gift.

2. Foundation/university/government grants. Again, paid for by
    outside sources, not a gift.

3. Independent developers. This may at times be an altruistic gift,
    but often is just a means of developing a reputation, so as to obtain
    paid work.

In any case, my belief is that if someone is willing to spend the time
    to learn how things really work, any home system can be rendered
    extremely secure totally with free software. I've spent about 300 US $
    on security software in the past 10 years. WinPatrol Plus & ATI are
    the only ones I'm still using. And ATI isn't really security software.

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Freeware is often BESTware IMHO.

Herbalist hit it on the nose as did Ilya, commercial apps rightfully demand compensation to do the footwork, support, etc. but any user if taking the time, can make that effort themselves and spare themselves other frustrations that always go hand in hand with commercial interests.

I guess i'm of the independent developers and freeware distributors mostly but some apps i bite the bullitt and fork over their retail but only certain very few ones i know beyond a shadow of a doubt will last.

18. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

A few years back I bought a license for NOD32 and then renewed it. For another computer I purchased an OEM license of KIS 7. I also purchased Ad Muncher and SuperAntiSpyware (at a discount) in the past. That's about it over the past 3-4 years.

I will add that because I have learned to be patient and wait for promotional giveaways, free after rebate offers, OEM licenses, and some really good freeware products, I seriously doubt I spend much of anything on security products in the future unless something just sweeps me off my feet.

19. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Zere dollars and zero cents.whats the point In waisting money When there is free security that are as good if not better then paid ones.Fact We do not always get what we pay for

20. GrailVanGogh

GrailVanGogh Registered Member

Router about $50

Everything else is freeware.

21. dNor

dNor Registered Member

Back in the day: Norton Antivirus.
    A few years ago: Trend Micro Internet Security Suite.
    Recently: BitDefender.

Home budget: ~$350.

Work's in the thousands of dollars. Symantec, PC Tools, and now ESET have all gotten large contributions due to use having a medium sized network. Currently it's with ESET.

22. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

$0 (freeware and free after rebate).:cool:

23. Dark Shadow

Wow If you have all that security you listed on your rig. must be like fortnox LOL

24. Dark Shadow

I tried so much software over the last ten years and a good majority of them suck.If I am to spend my money on any software the product/company should offer a least a thirty day trial.In most case if something is bugy or conflict there is some time to find out.

25. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

See me e-mail reply... Hope for your cooperation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.