Kaspersky + Comodo = conflicts

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by pandlouk, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

A warning for anyone that use Kaspersky Antivirus with Comodo firewall.

KAV and CFP always give minor or major issues when they are combined. This is the reason that Kaspersky gives a warning (during the installation) when it finds Comodo already installed.

Some users say that they work fine together. Well this is simply not true. Those users probably have encounterd some minor issues with email clients, browsers but did not really knew the reason. :p

I have tested it in 6 different pcs, and I have seen various conflicts, from minor ones like problem with email clients or browsers to major conflicts like destorying the interface of the windows, or to totally block the pcs.

I have verified that they conflict with so many users(60-70 different topics/threads with different members), that I decided to write it on my signature over at the comodo forums!

Do not try to combine KAV and CFP2. It is impossible to make them live happy together and it will cause you only headaches. :ouch:

If you want you can use KAV and CFP3. But if you do, pay attention:
    1. to deactivate Defense+ in Comodo and
    2. to disable Kaspersky's Scan HTTP traffic.

Panagiotis

2. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

Kapersky is the problem, it never worked well with Comodo v3 when I tested it, screwed the PC up totally. Suppose what it is really saying is ditch Comodo get Kapersky IS instead.
    Mind you I have a low opinion of KAV as well, but not on this thread!

3. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Has Comodo looked into making CFP more friendly with KAV? Kav won't fix the chkdsk problem so I highly doubt they'll fix issues it has with Comodo.

4. pandlouk

The conflicts arise from the hips drivers and the net-traffic monitor drivers of the two products.

Comodo developers, listened to our requests, and separated the hips driver from the firewall driver; and they gave us the ability to totally deactivate/uninstall the defence+.

As long as kaspersky developers do not do the same, and make their product more versatile there will always be problems with other security applications.

p.s. Disabling Kaspersky's Proactive Defense is not enough to make it coexist with Defence+ (or other HIPS applications). This is why I do not consider it as an alternative; for the moment the only workaround is to deactivate Defence+ in comodo. :cautious:

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

So by deactivating Defence+ in Comodo, it can peacefully coexist with KAV?

6. pandlouk

Yes, but you must disable "Scan HTTP traffic" in Kaspersky too.

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

What if KAV does not want to yield to users' pressure and to make necessary alterations, are there many firewalls out in open willing to take it as partner without bending over ?

Perhaps KAV is their lancer to stir up the pot and to pressure KAV's users upgrade to KIS ? A smart marketing plot ? perhaps.

Take care.

8. pandlouk

It could be, but it could have also opposite results.

I really like KAV and would have bought 3 licences but I prefer having enabled comodo's defense+. The result is that I will probably buy 3 nod32 licenses instead.;)

9. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

Yep , KAV "appears" nice on the outside, but has never liked my PC. Even at £8.40 for a licence (after discounts) KAV is still too tempermental for me to allow it to do anything other than monitor in the background.
    Receiving emails is painfully slow, scanning isn't much quicker even with the workaround & 99% cpu usage during most of the scan. (Hey doesn't that sound like a NOD issue) and this was without Comodo Firewall installed, with it, it is even slooowweeerrrr.
    ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.