What up with COMODO Defense+ Learning thing?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Vicky1, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vicky1

Vicky1 Registered Member

Ok, I am above average computer user but this Defense+ thing has confused me .. whats up with all this "Learning" thing? ... I have set my Defense+ to "Train with Safe Mode" .. and every time I open something it alerts me this this application launched that application and that Defense+ is learning ..

Even if explorer.exe launched firefox.exe 10 times, it will alert me all the times .. where is the thing Defense+ learnt already?

I mean, whats up?

someone please enlighten me.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

In "Train with Safe Mode" Comodo still gives you alerts for unknown programs.

You could trying "Training Mode" instead.

3. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

It confuses me! What confuses me even more is that the summary page tells me of 16 intrusions, yet when I look at the firewall log, all I have is a days worth of system idel process using the router IP to conect to IANA on port 1900; no intrusions at all.

Similarly on Defense, 12 suspicious attempts, yet the defence log shows 40+ BOCLean and rundll32.exe accessing memory, nothing suspicious there.

I have noticed Comodo send files back, but surely I should be able to see who/what is attacking my PC?

4. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Comodo is way too confusing. I am back to ZAAS. Was gonna try Online Armor.

5. Rickk

Rickk Registered Member

re. Dropping Comodo...

Me too, except I"ve gone back to simplicity, ie. hardware firewall + Avira / KAV on 2 respective 'puters.
    (Plus Windows XP firewall, Spyware Blaster, SAS free, Threatfire, Winpatrol)

IMO, the bugs haven't been fully rectified yet on Comodo's most recent version release, upon it's unprepared users.

:-(

6. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Comodo 2.4 was well polished. The only thing was that it never remembered anything. Asked FF 20 times. Comodo 3.0 was rushed in my opinion.

7. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I've done two things which have really reduced popups.

1) In defense+ settings I've changed the "keep alerts on screen for a maximum of ___ seconds" option to 20
    2) For some of my most used programs in "Computer security policy" I've changed the policy from custom to ones which I have made myself. e.g. I have one called Internet Application which has very restrictive access policies and is protected except from sandboxie processes. I've put that on my outlook and firefox.

8. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

I went back to 2.4, the new one confused the hell out of me, probably my problem not theirs, though I'd definitely say it's not a firewall for a novice.

9. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

I have alot of pc experience but a software firewall should not be confusing. Set it anf forget I say. That whole pending file thing is dumb.

10. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Yes, in fairness I didn't study up on that, but at one point I had 6000 odd files pending for review, just couldn't be doing with that.

11. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

If you hand the bandwidth you could always send them to Comodo to investigate!!!

TBH, yes it is a nice Firewall, but to much is useless to the majority of users. As I have said earlier -I get intrusions and suspicious activity, yet I have no idea where to find them, as they are not being recorded in the logs. I am also sick and tired of it recording system idle process as being blocked.

According to Comodo, you just leave it as it is.

12. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Comodo is was to touchy..............get OA.

13. Vicky1

Vicky1 Registered Member

Wow, it seems that its not just me .. many experienced users are confused with this.

I also have downgraded to 2.7, its doing pretty OK.

I am former user of Sygate Firewall Pro, thats best IMO .. I just have to leave that because its not updated for years. I am still looking for something that simple and effective.

ALLL I want is a firewall, which alerts me when a program want to access internet .. and have ability to remember my answer.

14. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

why dont u try look'n'stop? it does exactly that. its not free. or try online armor free.

15. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

@Vicky1 - why not just disable Defense+ in Comodo?

16. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

If you do not like the learning curve of Comodo 3,such as pop ups/alerts, then, just like me, to

Disable Defense+, Comodo will transform into a strong/solid pure firewall, it only alert you with pop up re app's network connection attempts. Other than that, it is as quiet as it can be.

17. Vicky1

Vicky1 Registered Member

It'd be the bottom line .. I thought I might be able to figure out something about Defense+, but it seems that either its time to disable it or downgrade to v2 .. I guess later is better decision.

Thanks all for input.

18. the insider

the insider Registered Member

I am a layman ... needless to say I was back in a hurry to v 2.4 ? ;)

19. Vicky1

Vicky1 Registered Member

Wise decision. I am also back to 2.4 and quite happy now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.