Having date specific recovery problem with Acronis 9.1

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JohninDC, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohninDC

JohninDC Registered Member

Hello,

I have a computer running Acronis 9.1. It has been automatically storing incremental backups on a NAS connected to my home network since August 07. These are backups of both the C and D partitions of my computer.

The backups seem to have been successful; there are over 90 of them so far. However, I need to restore my entire disc to a point in time about one week ago to hopefully avoid a browser hijacking problem I picked up a few days ago. I tried to use the Acronis recovery function, but after going through all the steps in the wizard and rebooting, nothing seems to have changed on my system (i.e., changes I have made over the last few days are still present).

The system is MS XP operating system and is scheduled to perform daily incremental backups. Is this far too may incremental backups (over 90) such that it will not work?

The NAS is a Synology DS207 set up as a RAID 1 volume configuration of two 500GB SATA II HDDs, giving me about 500GB storage space.

Could anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated as my work depends on an uncorrupted search engine.

John

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  2. JohninDC

Forget it. I am getting another product.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello JohninDC,

Thank you for using Acronis Corporate Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delayed response.

In case you would still like us to help solving the problem you encountered, could you please make sure you use the latest build of the respective version of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please try performing the restore operation using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media (created with the latest build of the program). Then please submit a request for technical support with the description of the problem and the link to this thread. We will do our best investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution. We appreciate your collaboration on this matter.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. JohninDC

My product is registered and there are no updates for this product. I bought two licenses for this version relatively recently for the specific purpose of downloading images of our computer discs to a network storage device.

The storage device has redundancy so there should be no way I would lose data (unless the NAS device was completely destroyed or stolen along with my machines). My purpose for using network storage was to totally avoid storing restore data on the computer hard drives, cd's floppies etc.

It appears to me that this program should simply restore my data at my pleasure by simply scheduling a recovery operation. This operation failed. It seems to me that this product failed to perform its basic core function. I find this unacceptable, and I do not want to spend time on the phone with some technician after I paid for something that should have worked "out of the box."

Thanks for responding

5. Ray Clare

Ray Clare Registered Member

Anything can be expected, but I have never heard of a "scheduled restore."

6. JohninDC

Okay, so I meant "the restore wizard." Thanks for the helpful insight. :p

7. JohninDC

Is it possible to get back the money I paid for two licenses of this defective product? I believe the number of postings here is testament to the beta testing being done by buyers of this product.

8. Acronis Support

Hello all,

JohninDC, the issue seems not to be related to some problems with the product or your hardware. Therefore in order to correct the discrepancy that has occurred please submit an official request for technical support. Provide a brief description of the issue and the link to this thread. We will investigate the case and try to provide you with a solution. In case no solution or workaround to the problem is found you will get your money back shortly as provided by Acronis Sales Policy.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

9. JohninDC

Well, the other shoe fell with this crappy program tonight. We tried to perform a restore operation on our second work station and the same thing happened as described below with respect to rebooting. What a piece of crap this is. What a waste of time and money. :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

10. JohninDC

Apparently, this program will not work with a NAS accessed by a Gigabit adapter. It saves backups, but does not restore upon the required reboot operation. Do not buy it if you have a well thought out configuration like our company's. :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

11. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Restore (wheter rebotting on the system disk or from the BootCD is run under Linux and might not have the appropriate drivers to address your hardware. You can check this by booting with an ATI BootCD and going throug hte restore wizard. If you cannot see the appropirate drives when you try to psecify both the source drive (with the backup file) and the target drive (to receive the restoration), then ATI will not be able to restore.

Three things here. You might need to specify the fill network addresses rather than a mapped drives.

You can get working drivers if you make a BartPE or VistaPE Boot Cd--although niether of these are going to run automated.

You can contact Tech and they can probalby get you an iso to make a bootCD that will work with your hardware.

12. Acronis Support

Hello JohninDC,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please clarify if you submitted a request for technical support? Please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out how the investigation of your issue is going. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

13. JohninDC

no, no, no. I paid for your product. It does not, and never worked as explained above. ~Off topic comment removed. - Ron~

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2008
  14. Acronis Support

Hello JohninDC,

We may recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image Echo Workstation to see if it works better on your computer. With the trial version of the product you will be able to fully use the Windows version for 15 days. The bootable rescue media will be limited to restore function.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.