ATI 11 8053 Doesn't Run Tasks

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Kdee, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kdee

Kdee Registered Member

I have an weird issue that goes something like this..... I have ATI 11 build 8053 installed on two machines. Scheduled tasks will run for about a week or so (sometimes more, sometimes less) and then stop running. No errors are in the logs (both the ATI logs and system logs). The weird part is that if you change the start time of the task (say from 12:00 to 12:01) it will start working again, but then stop working. In all cases, the tasks will run manually.

This was rock solid under ATI 10, so I have reverted back to that for the time being. Can anyone offer any insight (other than the fact that this is likely a bug) as to why this behavior exists?

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Other users have reported this so it surely is a bug. I had it happen to me so I am now an ex-user of Version 11 and have gone back to Version 10.

Xpilot

3. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

You are not alone. Many of us have seen that issue but I have not seen any comments from Acronis which is disapointing. For the short-term I’m using Windows Scheduled Tasks to run the True Image script. This is very reliable but obviously only a short-term fix. Very shortly I expect to return to version 10, build 4942.

4. Kdee

Kdee Registered Member

I figured as much. Which is unfortunate as I've plunked down $30 to upgrade to 11. I've downgraded to 10 and everything is working as expected. Seeing as this is such a widespread bug that should have been caught in their QA process, maybe I should think of moving to something else more reliable.

Thanks everyone.

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Could you perhaps list the OS and programs that run in the background, such as firewall, malware/spyware, JTAG, updaters etc.

It seems to be something obscure - my setup works fine, so I'd guess there is another program running in the background that blocks access.

Worth checking if Scheduler2 is running, when the tasks fail. If it isn't, check in services and see if it is set to autmatic or manual. I have with other software had a program that would take it upon itself to change another service to manual, all by it's lonesome. Obviously that program then failed to work.

Colin

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hi Bodgy,

I had all my normal background programs running ie.AVG,ZA and Defender. There were some 40 tasks running in Task Manager including the Acronis items.

The scheduled task ran automatically once and then did not run when it was due the next day even though the computer was on on nothing else had been changed.

There is a possibility that not checking the box that said something like " run at next boot if computer not available" could have made a difference though of course it should not.
    That is a feature that I would never use because there is always a good reason for the computer to be off at the scheduled time. The last thing I want is to be held up by an image task being run when I boot up in the morning.

Xpilot

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Kdee and Xpilot,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please do the following?

- Download and run schedmgr.exe application;
    - Issue the following commands in the folder you saved the file to:

schedmgr task zap
    schedmgr service stop
    schedmgr service uninstall
    schedmgr service install
    schedmgr service start

This should delete all Acronis scheduled tasks on the PC.

Please try to create the task again and see if the issue persists.

If the problem still persists then please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Open the command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd);
    - Run the following command in the folder the schedmgr.exe file was saved to:

schedmgr get report > schedreport.txt

- Collect schedreport.txt;
    - Run Acronis Schedule Manager program (schedmgr.exe) once more;
    - Issue the following command:

set logflags support

- Schedule backup creation once again;
    - Wait until the scheduled backup will fail;
    - Collect the log file schedul2.log that is placed in the \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2 folder;

Please also create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I hope some users who have more patience than I will help Acronis out in tracking down and fixing this scheduling Bug. As I stated further back in this thread I have already rolled back to Version 10 which runs the identical schedule as regular as clockwork.

Xpilot

9. motiger

motiger Registered Member

Amen brother. I am getting a bit short on patience too. I thought an upgrade was supposed to improve my experience.

10. RichinCA

RichinCA Registered Member

I too had the same problem. Uninstalled and re-installed ATI 11 several times to no avail. I went back to ATI 10 and it works just fine. I hope Acronis fixes these bugs. If not, we are all victims of "Rip-Off Ware".

11. msoltys

msoltys Registered Member

Same symptoms here. Was very happy with TI 10 task scheduling, it appeared to be dependable. TI 11 seems to run scheduled tasks on occassion and I have not been able to establish a pattern of failure. It appears to be random at this point (the worst kind). This failure to run as scheduled is occurring at more frequently on my Vista machine.

12. philpem

philpem Registered Member

I can confirm this on my machine as well. The task either seems to start then locks after a few hundred K has been written, or it doesn't start at all.

XP Pro SP2, all current service packs, AMD Athlon64/3200+ on ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1GB RAM, GeForce6600GT, 2xDVDRW, 500GB RAID1 HDD (Promise FastTrak controller on motherboard).

13. ragkag

ragkag Registered Member

I encounterd the same problem. After much correspondence and many file transfers to Tech Support I gave up and just reinstalled TI10. I'm really surprised that thay have not been able to find a fix for this problem. There are many other issues with TIxx that make me wonder how they actually tested the product before releasing to the public. I think they could have an excellent product if it didn't have so many problems. Norton Backup and Restore is worse. I only used TI10 for incremental backups of data... not full backups of my complete drives. I do not trust it enough. I use Ghost 2003 from DOS and it has never failed me yet. It is quick, reliable, and full proof.

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

ragkag (and all other people with submitted support requests regarding this issue) - could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter?

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

15. jdjmilford

jdjmilford Registered Member

I just purchased and installed ATI 11 last week. I have it on three XP SP2 workstations and the Scheduler does not work consistently on either one. Seems within so many having this problem, it should be a problem at Acronis.

I was using Ghost but switched after an article in PCWorld said ATI was the best for home use.

How do you get Windows Scheduler to run an ATI script?

16. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

17. jdjmilford

jdjmilford Registered Member

I used the Windows Scheduled Tasks instructions from Bruce and they work well. The backups now run are desired using the Windows Scheduler.

Thanks . . . John

18. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Plus, windows scheduler tasks can wake acomputer from standby to run a task! :D

19. msoltys

msoltys Registered Member

Well my TI 11 scheduled tasks are working less and less frequently now down to the point where I must start them all manually. I would like to revert bak to TI10 which worked just about perfectly but I have about 4 new TI 11 license keys that I need to get equivaent TI 10 keys for to stay legal. Will Acronis issue me valid unique TI 10 keys that I can use until TI 11 gets fixed to the point where I can really count on it? I think this would only be fair.

OBTW ... Now that I have a few days off for the holiday and might have some extra hours I might try to use Windows Scheduler as described above.

20. btobw

btobw Registered Member

I too am finding scheduled tasks don't run. As I'm a brand new user, I don't have the option of reverting back to ATI 10, so I've gone through the process described by Marat in posting #7 and submitted all the files. I uninstalled and reinstalled the service and then recreated the task on 31 Dec; the daily scheduled task ran on 1 Jan, but not on 2 Jan.

Fingers crossed!

21. Big Tom

Big Tom Registered Member

Same problem here. Even newly created tasks don't run. The only consistency seems to be that a job that falls out of the scheduler, never gets started again.

I also got the standard response from Acronis support (which was not very helpful btw...).

Tom

22. kentmcpherson

kentmcpherson Registered Member

I have 1 task that runs and 1 that doesn't. How can that be?

23. Big Tom

Big Tom Registered Member

pretty easy: buggy software... and a development team that does not care.

Tom

24. ragkag

ragkag Registered Member

I never did get my scheduled tasks to work with TI 11. After going back & forth with Tech Support I decided to revert back to TI10... scheduled jobs now work correctly.

25. hronk

hronk Registered Member

I was also having the problem of backups not running, and finally figured it out.

1. I had a Windows scheduled task to wake up the computer at 4:00 AM.
    2. I had Acronis schedule to run a backup at 4:05 AM.

Windows task scheduler would wake the computer up at 4:00 AM, but the backup never did run. Turns out it's because the Windows task scheduler was immediately putting the computer back to sleep; it's apparently a known issue with Vista, and discussed here: http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mi...8872-defragment-task-wake-computer-sleep.html

So in my case, at least, it's not Acronis's fault. Setting the Windows task scheduler to actually run the backup, as discussed here, resolved the problem: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=189475

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.