is IE 6 safe or should i upgrade it?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ice60, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ice60

ice60 Registered Member

i'm fixing a computer and it's got IE 6 on it. should i upgrade to IE 7?

if IE 6 is still on the computer does that mean this computer hasn't been updated properly? i thought IE 7 was a forced download?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

IE7 can be installed or removed from the control panel. It is not a forced upgrade but a recommended upgrade.

You could go to Windows Update and see how many updates are listed for the computer.

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I would do the upgrade. Not a problem.:)

4. ice60

ice60 Registered Member

thanks, it's not my computer, i'm just fixing it for a family friend. i got firefox so i'm going to set that up. i'll go to WU, but what do you think i should do with IE? leave it as it is, or go to internet properties and harden the settings or install IE 7?

5. ice60

ice60 Registered Member

also, the problem with the computer was caused by a driveby hacktivex install lol

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

WU should tell you a lot about the needs of the computer.

I would go for IE7.

7. ice60

ice60 Registered Member

thanks for the help.

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

IE 7 is an available option to replace version 6. Every software company always tell users to update to the lastest version. Even if the new version crashes their system. ;) :p :rolleyes:

9. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'd definitely recommend upgrading to v7 if they feel the need to use IE. Otherwise install a safer alternative.

10. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I would and then also install the add-on IE7 Pro

Gerard

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

In general, adding IE 7 seem to cause no issues for most home users. Exceptions would be things programs that use IE 6 or earlier to render parts of their programs, like QuickBooks 2004. If you run QB 2004, don't upgrade to IE 7 or you'll kill it. And Intuit has no plans to fix this. Also, some websites may need special setup to use IE 7 (like some at the US government.)

Security-wise, IE 7 has the phishing filter, which does help out a bit. And IE 7 comes setup safer than 6. But from what I've seen, the differences are not huge. IE 6 can be adjusted to make it safer. It's just that most users don't do it...

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I like IE7 as it does seem to be safer than IE6, however, on my machine IE7 seems a fair amount slower than IE6 was.

13. ultragunnerdcl

ultragunnerdcl Registered Member

IE 7 is indeed safer than IE 6. But it still does not comes close to OPERA & FIREFOX with no script & ad block add on. Microsoft still has a long way to go.:rolleyes:

14. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Which is why I stick with IE6. No need for another IE-browser when only using it for patch-tuesdays. I wonder if IE7 may be included with SP3 for XP...

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

That's pretty much how I see it. Although IE7 is running just fine, I primarily just use it as the default for patch Tuesdays and incoming e-mail videos. Firefox is the primary browser for me.:)

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i went to windows update and it installed IE 7. i think they were just letting it update without going to the site. i took IE off the desktop and replaced it with firefox. i gave the computer back now, i fixed all the spyware :cool:

17. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Good job. For the record, IE7 is definitely more secure than IE6. Though I must admit, I am a Firefox user myself.

18. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

IE7 wouldn't have stopped a hacktivex drive-by anyway.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i only use IE7 if i really have to for those annoying stubben sites.
    since i know IE7 isnt very safe.
    IE protected mode in vista should help things but i still wont trust IE on vista.
    lodore

20. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I am missing here complete facts and figures. Is it just a hype to not use IE? Beside most of you are using tons of anti-whatever apps, so why worry? I also wonder why do you need IE for the monthly patches, I got my patches every month without IE. And yes I don't use IE but that's for other reasons.

Gerard

21. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

No need to use IE to get the patches as there are alternative ways to get them, that's just the way I chose. If I could use Opera at M$-update then I would. I rarely use IE6 not for security reasons (alhough it is a much more popular target) but for reasons of functionality. If IE wasn't built into the OS, it would be interesting to see how small of a market share it would have and how more innovative the developers would become to change that. I'm just not so sure the "hype" to not use IE is just for security reasons. With the security measures most members take, IE6 or 7 should be safe enough, but the majority don't. Just my 2c...:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.