ESET Smart Security Blue Screen of Death on Windows Vista

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Nazgulled, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nazgulled

Nazgulled Registered Member

Hi,
    I keep trying to use ESS but I'm not able to with the constant BSODs... At first, I tried to install v3.0.551 and it crashed (bsod) during the install process, and I wasn't able to install it at all. Then, v3.0.560 came out and I tried it. The install went fine and I could run it for a couple of days, today, I just booted Vista from hibernation and ESS crashed (bsod) the system right away. I tried to reboot, it didn't work, crashed again. I had to boot into safe mode, search google on how to start the Windows Installer service in safe mode (it doesn't work by default) so I could uninstall ESS and keep using my system normally.

I really like ESS and would like to keep trying it out for now... but I can't do it with these crashes.

PS: Before ever trying ESS, I tried NOD32 v3.0.551 and it was working fine. It installed fine and it worked fine every time. Just so you know...

2. KFBeaker

KFBeaker Registered Member

We are running ESS on three Vista machines. No crashes, lockups, or even an error message in the Windows Event Viewer.

It would seem to be a problem specific to your computer or configuration. Possibly a driver issue? Possibly hardware such as dying power supply or a bad stick of RAM?

3. lep

lep Registered Member

Try these steps:

1. Download, install, and run RegSupreme in normal bootup mode.

2. Reboot and run in safe mode, then install ESS. This is not customary to do, but may prove helpful. If you had another antivirus program installed other than NOD32, then uninstall it using the removal tool in safe mode.

4. Nazgulled

@KFBeaker
    That makes no sense at all. This never happened before, only with ESET ESS. NOD32 works fine without any type of crash...

@lep
    I had Kaspersky v6 but I uninstalled it before installing NOD32 and like I said before, I didn't have any problems with NOD32, only ESS.

5. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

please tell this problem to eset support
    i also got bsod problem in win2ksp4 since beta
    yesterday they send me v563 which fixed the bsod
    asking eset is great
    without asking please donot claims

6. lep

lep Registered Member

Kaspersky actually does an incredible amount of things to every file on your hard drive - so the best thing to do would be to ask their tech support about problems that could arise after using K and then trying to run ESS. In point of fact, I never wanted to install any version of Kaspersky on my new Vista machines because I didn't want to have to deal with all their file-tagging changes.

Don't get me wrong, Kaspersky is one of the most robust protection systems available -- it's just that you have to be prepared for system wide changes when using Kaspersky.

Recurring BSOD's likely indicate problems due to mangled files in the "hive." Hive files are very deeply protected, and nevertheless are the focus of spyware/viruses that attempt to "bring you down." If you have systems that are repeatedly showing BSOD, then you have fundamental problems that were probably raised by devices or malware.

In summary, ESS is probably independent of your BSOD issues. Have you tried a complete re-install of Windows? Sometimes you get to a point where you have to "throw in the towel" and reinstall everything from scratch.

The main pattern is that numerous repeated BSODs mean deep problems that can't *ordinarily* be resolved. On the positive side, I get at least 1 BSOD per week, and a lot of users probably get the similar results. It's just that with Vista there is no SP1 available, and MS should be able to fix these issues in SP1.

7. Nazgulled

Do you really believe that if I talk to Kaspersky saying, "hey, I'm having problems with another software cause I ditched yours, can you help me out?" and they will just help me?

Anyway, reinstall everything from scratch is out of the question. I don't get any other BSODs. 1 per week? Geez... What do you do to your system? If it wasn't for ESS, I couldn't remember the last time I got a BSOD. I'm only getting them lately because of ESS, nothing else is producing BSODs. I'm not going to reinstall windows and everything because of it. I rather keep using Kaspersky if there's no other way to fix this problem.

I'm going to try the RegSupreme thing now...

@proactivelover
    How and where do I contact them like you did?

8. delah

delah Registered Member

I have tested ESS on a WinXP system over the past two days and I am very disappointed with it.
    I haven't had a BSOD for absolutely ages but ESS sorted that out within a few hours.
    System lockups, BSODs, local network inaccessible - all this after a few hours normal PC usage. And yes I do know how to use the settings nad what they should mean...
    Clean system, all MS updates.

I also 'upgraded' my 2.7 AV to v3 on my Vista system and again all was well for a few hours then lockups.

I am disappointed, very disappointed in the v3's from ESET.
    I was prepared to migrate my IS package from KIS7 to ESS3 but there is no way on earth I will touch these versions again until I read on here that all catastrophic problems are solved.

I absolutely love NOD32 2.7 and that is what I am going back to on my Vista desktop.
    KIS7 has performed wonderfully on the two PCs it is intsalled on (the network monitor could do with a bit of work) and I don't have any chkdsk problems as I don't use/never used their iswift/ichecker bits and bobs.
    Instead of ESET getting an order for a 4-user ESS licence, Kaspersky will be getting another two orders.

It's disappointing (and I understand all software can have bugs at initial release) that a good name in AV protection is going down the drain.

My only hope is that 2.7 is maintained and supported indefinitely...

9. whitecrowro

whitecrowro Registered Member

It's seams firewall is the culprit,;)
    disabling ESET drivers in device manager "stoped" the startup BSOD...
    my error is:
    "Driver IRQL not less than or equal - STOP: 0x0000000D1" (nothing else)o_O

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  10. proactivelover

please tell do you have dual core or hyperthreading proccessor

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This was only a problem of Win2000. I have never heard about BSOD on Vista, I assume there must be a serious interference of another driver with ours.

12. Nazgulled

Of course the firewall must be the problem. Like I said, before testing ESS, I tested just the AV and I had no problems what so ever... I have a Pentium M 2.0GHz by the way. I know it's not dual core but I'm not sure if it's hyperthreaded...

13. whitecrowro

UPDATE:
    tried to solve it with latest ESET_Smart_Security_v3.0.563.0 .... same BSOD on restart....
    now with "mentions":

0x00000010
    0x00000002
    0x00000000
    0x9E9E6FEA

Mention2: single core, no HT (Sempron )

14. Nazgulled

That sucks... I really dig ESET ESS, but can't use it like this...

15. DorestOne

DorestOne Registered Member

I have been running Nod for years on several machines and never seen an error of any kind till this latest version.

I have a dual core processor and XP Pro, since installing ESS I have had 9 BSOD in 48 hours,some at boot some while browsing sites.

I have to say I am not at all comfortable with this format of the software being in charge of the security to this extent. The Nod32 v2.7 was superb and never failed in any situation,this new system leaves me with very grave doubts as to what is going on.

I am removing this latest version ,I cannot afford to have an unstable system that keeps throwing errors like this.
    If Eset are going to insist on this smart system in their versions now it seems it is time to go elsewhere for security products.

16. Nazgulled

"Glad" I'm not the only one having these problems, hope they read our problems and fix it...

17. proactivelover

dual core processor i think intel have to make good proccessor
    or eset have to make ess and eav compatible with dual core

18. Nazgulled

I don't have a dual core so the problem can't come from there... Unless your BSOD has a different reason than mine.

19. KFBeaker

KFBeaker Registered Member

Well, ain't you the friendly one.
    OK, Einstein, look at things the other way - how bout YOU explain why I have three Vista boxes with ESS that have ZERO BSODs. And then with a straight face explain how you are so certain your problem is ESS?!?!?!?

Nuff said.

Moderator is right, so am I. It's most likely a driver or hardware thing. Waste your time bashing ESET, but it's likely not gonna solve your problem.

P.S. No need for you to be rude.

20. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

I agree. I'm running ESS with not a problem in Vista.

I'd bet that something is wrong with the computers, or a driver, memory problem.
    Or a conflicting program.
    Have you another anti-virus , anti-spyware, firewall running ?
    Is the Vista firewall OFF.
    Is Windows Defender OFF.

Have you the stop number for the BSOD's.
    Get them and go to the Microsoft website and look up those numbers and that will give you the reasons for the BSOD's.

It could even be a faulty hard drive, that caused BSOD's in a friends computer, he could not install XP SP2, only when I looked up the BSOD did I find the problem.
    A new hard drive & problem solved.

So, get the stop numbers & look them up in the MS Site, that is, do a search for them in the MS site, only one at a time.

I'll be very surprised if you don't get a reason and cure for your problem/s.

go to it laddie..

21. whitecrowro

checked my bsod error detailes and pointed to eamon:thumbd:
    my win firewall on, defender also....so what?

22. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

I have not tried to install V3 yet.
    I noticed mention of eamon?
    What of the old 'modules' still exist?
    ie. Amon, Dmon, Emon, Imon
    Cheers

23. Nazgulled

Gimme a break dude... I'm rude because I state my own opinion about something? Lol, you honestly have serious problem...

I'm certain the problem is ESS, BECAUSE I NEVER HAD AN BSOD BEFORE INSTALLING ESS. Got that now?

I never said the problem arise only from ESS, but ESS is definitely one of the culprits. If you don't have the problem, good for you. I have it, I know others have it. Maybe we have something in common, some driver, some software, some configuration, I don't know, but the fact is, the problem is with ESS and the way it interacts with that driver or whatever...

I never had a problem before, never had BSOD before. And now I get one, when decided to install ESS. You don't need to be a genius to do the math...

And stop putting words on my mouth. I never bashed anyway. If I didn't like the product, I wasn't here talking about and asking for help, I would simply delete it and use another software. I think ESS and EAV are wonderful products, they just have their problems like any other software. So stop talking like this is the perfect software and the perfect company where everything works and doesn't have a single problem...

And no, I don't have any other firewall, anti-spyware, anti-virus running, not even Windows Firewal or Windows Defender, everything is disabled.

The STOP numbers won't help me because there aren't any... I don't know why, but my BSOD is a complete blue screen without a single word...

The problem is on the ESET Miniport drivers... When it first crashed installing ESS, I rebooted, and Windows tried to install the miniport drivers when I started it again and it failed with a BSOD installing those drivers.

24. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

A full memory dump might reveal more details, but the question is whether you are able to upload a 500 MB -1 GB file.

25. whitecrowro

so provide a solution then on how to upload ...to help Eset and us:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.