Exclude a FOLDER

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by arstearns, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arstearns

arstearns Registered Member

Hello,

I have the latest Acronis True Image 11 and in doing a scheduled Full Backup (snapshot) of my hard drive, I would like to exclude a FOLDER, not a file.

The folder is C:\Backup.

Whenever I enter this into the exclusion list, I get the following error:

Unable to create volume snapshot

If I eliminate the FOLDER exclusion, the error goes away.

Attached is the message log.

Thanks for you help!

Warmly, Al Stearns
    Pisgah Forest, NC
    USA

Attached Files:

2. mustang

mustang Developer

Try excluding C:\Backup\ or C:\Backup\*.*

3. arstearns

Thanks for your quick response!

I tried:

c:\backup
    c:\backup\
    C:\backup\*.*

and all three give the same error.

The intial code is E00070021 (I did not provide that in my first post).

Warmly, Al Stearns
    Pisgah Forest, NC
    USA

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

arstearns, you're using correct syntax for excluding files (C:\backup\*.* should work for sure). Could you please install Acronis Drivers to overcome this issue.

If the issue still persists, please create the driver log by installing the update again with enabled logging and reproducing the issue. The log file will be created on the C:\ partition. The name of this file will be snapapi[date-time].log

After that please submit a request for technical support with the attached SnapApi log, Acronis True Image log and the link to this thread. We will do our best to help you as soon as possible.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

5. arstearns

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your response.

>>>>>
    you're using correct syntax for excluding files (C:\backup\*.* should work for sure). Could you please install Acronis Drivers to overcome this issue.

If the issue still persists, please create the driver log by installing the update again with enabled logging and reproducing the issue. The log file will be created on the C:\ partition. The name of this file will be snapapi[date-time].log
    >>>>>

I downloaded and installed SnapAPI.337_s_e.msi per your instructions. It did not solve the problem. I found that I could not just re-install SnapAPI.337_s_e.msi to enable logging - I had to uninstall it and enable logging on the next re-install. Also the filename is in the following format:

Monday__November_12__2007_1_50_33_PM.log

in the following directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Logs

>>>>>
    After that please submit a request for technical support with the attached SnapApi log, Acronis True Image log and the link to this thread. We will do our best to help you as soon as possible.
    >>>>>

I have just opened a request for technical support.

I look forward to having this resolved quickly.

Warmly, Al Stearns
    Pisgah Forest, NC
    USA

6. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

For what its worth I gave it a try. I was interested in your posting but in the long term I won’t be using it as I only want complete backups.

I created a full backup of a single partition C: drive applying the exclusion of C:\Canon G2 Camera\*.*. That folder contained 5 sub-folders and several individual files. The completed image was successful and contained the folder Canon G2 Camera with the 5 sub-folders in it. The many individual files were removed as expected.

This doesn’t solve your issue but thought I would pass it on.

Edit:
    Realizing after the fact that I did not test what you wanted to do I decided to run it again. Since your goal was to exclude an entire folder I entered C:\Canon G2 Camera\ (no quotation marks were entered to accommodate the spaces in the folder name). The image was created successfully. Mounting the image, which loaded slowly), the folder C:\Canon G2 Camera was not there. Seemed to work as it should.

Reviewing page twenty nine of the User Guide I would like to see the bottom box “Exclude files matching the following critera:” changed to add the word folders as in the other selections. It would also be helpful to add other additional examples, specifically folders, to the Create Backup Wizard (Source files exclusion).

Bruce

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  7. Neubian

Neubian Registered Member

Same issues. I tried the latest Acronis driver link, but in the end I had to remove the option of "Exclude files matching. . ."

I was trying to exclude the folders containing Temporary Internet Files and Mozilla Cache, since on many machines these are the most frequently generated files, but they are mission insignificant.

Could someone follow up with a proper fix for this?

8. arstearns

I worked with Acronis tech support for almost four months.

Problem: when backing up an entire hard drive with a Dell EISA partition AND having a directory exclusion the backup would fail almost immediately with:

E00070021
    Unable to create volume snapshot

Solution: Acronis True Image 11 Home (8082)

Warmly, Al Stearns
    Pisgah Forest, NC
    USA

9. Acronis Support

Hello everyone,

We would like to inform that, as noted by arstearns, the issue was resolved by our Development Team. The fix will be available in the next build of Acronis True Image 11 Home. Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences the delay may cause.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

10. tpham33

tpham33 Registered Member

I have the same issue with folder exclusions when creating disk image backups. The Create Backup Wizard or Help Contents do not mention how to exclude folders.

It should be a clear user-friendly option, like a directory tree allowing us to select the folders we want to exclude. Instead, we have to write file exclusion criteria to exclude folders. Very annoying.

If I want to exclude the folder C:\temp, what do I have to type?
    C:\temp or C:\temp\ or C:\temp\*.* ?
    I have multiple folders I want to exclude.
    What about sub folders? Are they excluded automatically or do I have to add a criteria for them too?

Will this be addressed in the new build # and when will it be available?

I am also evaluating Acronis True Image 11 and I am switching to Genie Backup 8 if this is not resolved soon. Thanks.

11. era043

era043 Registered Member

So there's no way currently to exclude Windows XP's System Restore points?

I've been trying to identify/locate the System Restore folder (which I believe is in C:\System Volume Information by default, although I haven't been able to find that folder on my system yet), so that I can exclude it from my backups. I know I can turn off System Restore manually before creating my True Image backups, but I like the idea of being able to retain the System Restore points for possible current use - I just don't see any need to actually back the things up.

If someone DOES know a way to exclude these, please post instructions!

Thank you!

12. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

You are correct with the location of the System Restore points. This is a hidden folder and as such you will have to set up the option to show hidden files. See attached image.

I don’t use System Restore in that having a full disk image saved I see no need for it.

Attached Files:

13. Tipperton

Tipperton Registered Member

What about excluding folders across all drives?

Will

\Folder\

work or do I have to specify each drive like this

C:\Folder\
    D:\Folder\

(The documentation for this feature provided in the help file is really poor, as it is now may as well save space by just saying "use Windows wildcards" because that's really all it says now)

Thanks!

14. shieber

shieber Registered Member

In file-by-file backups you can exclude folders. In partition/disk backups, you can only excludes files -- you can use wildcards but not paths.

It was said this would be fixed/chaned in the next build; alas the optimism exceeded the performance.

15. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

for example C:\Windows\*.*

exclude the folder C:\Windows and all files in the folder but NOT SUBFOLDERS!

what a pitty!

16. tuttle

tuttle Guest

LOL. Nice turn of phrase. :D

17. sbennett

sbennett Registered Member

Was this issue ever fixed? Using the latest updated TI 11 file "TrueImage11.8101_s_en.exe" any time I try to enable the option to exclude files while doing a backup of an entire drive (the "My Computer", not "My Data", backup type). I get the error:
    E00070021
    "Unable to create volume snapshot"

If the "Exclude files matching the following criteria is unchecked backup works but backs up some files I want ignored and not backed up due to their size; namely ISO, BUP, IFO and VOB files.

Any work around to this for the "My Computer" backup type mode? The problem is I use TI in the scheduler mode to do backups at night and My Data backup types won't work because new files created since the last backup won't be selected (or am I wrong about that) unless I manually select them before each scheduled backup.

Edit: I'm using TI on Vista Ultimate (x32 I think) with the latest MS updates.

18. Acronis Support

Hello sbennett,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with disabled logging.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Reinstall Acronis drivers with enabled logging;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create a screenshot of the Device Tree application the following way:
    - Download and unpack the Device Tree application;
    - Run the application from "i386" folder (run the 64-bit version of Device tree from "x64" folder if you have Windows Vista 64-bit);
    - Completely unfold (click on all plus signs) the \Driver\partmgr and \Driver\volmgr branches;
    - Move the margin to the right in order to see all the items and create a screenshot.

Please also collect the application log of the operation:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the corresponding log;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. To expedite the resolution we recommend you to use our Live Chat service after that. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.