ekrn.exe uses 50% of CPU resource?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by xp_1839, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xp_1839

xp_1839 Registered Member

Why is ekrn.exe using such high CPU resource?

2. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

To add a perspective, on a Athlon 64 X2 2G Ram I witnessed 3-54% CPU usage on ver's 2.5 & 2.7 - same for 3.0 (takes 67 min for 645K files so I randomly viewed) .
    Are you measuring against a prior NOD32 ver or another App - if so, what?
    Marcos explained the 50% usage once but he or one of the experts will have to restate the particulars.

3. wiak

wiak Registered Member

same here ekrn.exe uses way more resouces than before, it uses 50% of my dualcore thats one core sometimes
    this is on a Dual Core AMD Athlon X2 5000+, 2GB memroy, 500GB Samsung, Vista 32-bit

4. Spyderz

Spyderz Registered Member

same here,i just installed v3 over v2.7 and then i get some freezes,back to normal and freeze again,tis is due to the high cpu usage.
    so i uninstalled it and reinstalled 2.7 from scratch and it works as normal

5. andy2008

andy2008 Registered Member

actually this was reported during the beta/rc phase by myself and others

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=186869

Note: on a dual core system it will only show as 50% usage. Single core will cause 100% usage. Myself personally i have not had this on 551. I usffered from it on 414 EAV (Didnt test ESS). On 414 it occurred frequently until cleaner module 1098 came out. With 1098 I could not repeat this bug even after numerous reboots.

Since going to 551 ive not had this problem myself but im sure marcos will escalate this as it seems some people are still suffering from it.

6. nodHead

nodHead Registered Member

So it was reported and yet the product went Final anyway? That is piss poor of ESET.

I'm done with ESET, all my confidence in the product is gone. Goodbye. :oops:

7. andy2008

andy2008 Registered Member

I have not been able to reproduce this since build 441 and av and antispyware module = < 1098. I had it once with build 551 and module 1099 but not like before when I had it on every boot. Im sure eset are still fixing bugs. Give it another go in a month and perhaps it may all be sorted out by then :thumb:

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do you mean that ekrn spikes the CPU usage even if you do not perform any file operations?

9. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Mine spikes on boot for about a minute or two. Cold boot and reboots reproduce the spike. I am running Eset NOD32 AV on Windows Vista Business with windows firewall activated. No other AV nor firewall installed on here. Hope that helps, Marcos. :D

10. Spyderz

Spyderz Registered Member

it spikes randomly,even while im browsing stuff online

11. marcuri

marcuri Registered Member

Yea I get this all the time with browsing websites on firefox. Also, it tends to lock up the browser on scanning a download right as it completes. You dual core people might not notice it but on single core you notice it completely hang the computer sometimes forcing to end task it, for downloads you gotta wait 2-3 minutes but it still sucks.

Well this is alittle off topic but its pretty darn close so what the hell.. is it normal for ekrn.exe to take up nearly 30mb of memory? I could've sworn 2.7 never took up that much memory, not even close...

Might go back to 2.7 until they work out all these issues.

12. vujanic

vujanic Registered Member

Hello, I'm also experiencing this issue with 3.0.560. With 2.7 all returns to normality, any ideas what is going on? It's weird...

Thanks!

13. Darken

Darken Registered Member

Same here and only with v3. I don't have this "problem" with v2.7...

14. jordi.c

jordi.c Registered Member

I also notice very high continu loads on ekrn.exe 60-90%.

My PC is not workable at the moment.

This is the last time I bought a subsription. Over a few months my licence ends and I will try KasperSky out or go to the free version of AVG.

Eset why didn't u stay on v2.7 before publishing a proper version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.