LAN update and NOD Version 3

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by catprincess, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catprincess

catprincess Guest

Hi,
    I was wondering if NOD 3 Home Edition has the same options as NOD 2x lan update edition for creating a mirror on one computer and configuring another computer on the lan to update from the mirror rather than from the internet? I am considering upgrading to version 3soon but as I use this feature I wanted to know what to expect regarding this first.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Business edition will support mirror creation as well.

3. red_jack

red_jack Registered Member

So ESET is going to divide the clients up now? Home and Business editions. I understand the Remote Admin Client and Remote Admin Server being seperate but now there is going to be more than one version of the AV client? That is one of the reasons I prefer NOD32 over the others. One client that can have remote enabled if needed, choice of update servers. I hope this does not change how the updates are done. I feel a headache in the making.
    Can you shed some light on what will be the difference with a Home Client vs Business Client?
    Thanks
    jack

4. catprincess

catprincess Guest

Sorry Marcos, I'm not totally clear on what you mean. Are you saying that I need the business edition in order to use lan update? Or that both the home and business edition have this feature?

I don't have a business, but I have a multi-user NOD licence which allowed me to download the 2.7 lan update edition. The reason I use the feature is to save on downloads by letting just one machine do the downloading and the others update from the mirror on the main machine.

So I just wanted to check whether this feature was going to be available in the home version.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Actually this question is being widely discussed and we have not reached a verdict yet.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Please , decide on the better one - no business edition needed for small multiuser licenses (multiuser = No Enterprise edition but just some Lan Update version) :D :D :D

7. red_jack

Looking at the v3 client 551/560. Mirror can be enabled for updates. There is a remote option also. Is not detected by the RAS but I was expecting that. I am guessing it picked up my previous settings from 2.7 or the license file but mirror is enabled on my install of v3. I still can not download v3 with my Enterprise user id though.
    I hope ESET is not shooting themselves in the foot with these different versions. I really disliked trying to work with clients not connected to the LAN with other Ent products, like Symantec Corp (Gold) and McAfee Enterprise. Updating definitions was never user friendly. You end up with users not getting updated daily/weekly/monthly and a higher risk of bringing an infected PC on to the network when they do connect.
    jack

8. catprincess

catprincess Guest

I think I'm even more confused now having read both Marcus and red_jack's replies. I'm really not getting how come red_jack says a mirror can be enabled in the Home Edition while Marcus says a verdict hasn't been reached. I also don't understand how a verdict hasn't been reached? I realise the Business Edition isn't yet available to purchase but the Home Edition is so I would have to assume that ESET has already decided what features it includes. I am sorry if I am being really thick and missing something but I am totally lost on this one.

BTW if this is any use...My license is for 3 computers. I have never used any Enterprise edition, just the lan update edition as I don't have a business. I don't use any remote update either, my computers are in the same room and physically connected to each other.

9. red_jack

When I changed a v2 mirror PC back to just being a client. I used the client only installer. When NOD was done installing it had detected that mirror was installed before and upon reboot the mirror module was available again. I guessed this had something to do with the same temp install path used as before or the module not being deleted from the install folder. I had to uninstall and clear the NOD32 folder to remove the mirror module. I am guessing this is the case again, might be the lic file.
    I only posted that info to show that it looks like this option will be available. Hopefully ESET will straighten this out (SOON) and keep the same practice as the v2 clients. I am not for the Home, Plus, Pro, Ultimate, Business, Enterprise type of modeling. Keep the product simple. To me, the name Home Edition gives the impression of different levels of protection available. Reminds me of all the different MS Vista editions. Just my opinion...
    Here is a screen shot of the mirror option. Not seeing the list of different version builds like you do with the v2. The mirror folder is populated with files but differs in file size compared to the the v2. ie The largest nup file in v2 is 5 MB and v3 is 7 MB.
    http://www.imgplace.com/directory/dir2971/1194530030.png
    jack

10. red_jack

11. catprincess

catprincess Guest

Thanks for your help red_jack.

For anyone else interested in the topic of this thread, I quote below from a thread in the ESS forum. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=190668
    After reading this it would seem that it works for some and not others. If it doesn't work with a clean install then that would be a problem if you needed to reinstall. A licence should be the same whether one reinstalls or not.

It really is beyond me how a product can be released without knowing how the licences are going to work. If someone chose to buy the Home Edition product today they wouldn't even know if a feature they potentially wanted would be available so they would hardly be able to make a decision on whether to buy or not.

I'm wasn't planning on upgrading just yet anyway but now I'm definitely not upgrading until they figure this out. Why would I want to upgrade to a newer version that does less than the one I've already got? o_O

12. catprincess

catprincess Guest

It's getting close to November 26th when the Business Edition is supposed to be released so I was wondering if there is any news regarding my original question?

13. catprincess

catprincess Guest

I gather that the Business Edition has now been released. Surely someone must know how the licensing works by now?

14. red_jack

Mirror was not enabled until I added my nod32.lic file. Same as home edition. Still testing, but it looks like mirror on v3 and v2 are not compatible either. There is no option that I have found like in v2 to pull down other version clients. When you try to update off a mirror created by either the remote server mirrro or the client mirror with v2, it hangs on the update.ver file.
    I ran a check on the install files inside the msi, comparing both versions (home and business). They are identical except for a resource dll. eguiProduct.dll This is probably the gui that says business edition instead of home edition. That is the only difference I can find between the two editions...

15. red_jack

Yep verified that eguiProduct.dll only changes the gif images with business edition images. This whole process of the v3 roll out has been disappointing. They should have just kept it the same as v2. Stringing along users with the business edition and the only change is the gif images. :mad:

16. ASpace

ASpace Guest

As written by red_jack , you need a .lic file to use the Mirror . If you have LanUpdate only license (not EE) , contact your local ESET representative/reseller to get one and receive further information how can this be done

17. catprincess

catprincess Guest

Does this mean that I can set one of my computers to be a mirror using the Home Edition then? I don't have to get the Business Edition or am I misunderstanding?

I take it this .lic file isn't something you receive when you upgrade to version 3 then? I don't suppose you can get the file online the same way registered users can download the full programs? Reason I ask is the reseller I bought NOD from originally I'm not sure is even doing it anymore, and when I decide to upgrade I don't want to have to wait months for this .lic file which is what happened when I ordered NOD from him the first time.

18. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

If I create a mirror with NOD32 3.0 Business Edition, will version 2.7 clients also be able to download updates from it, or is it only compatible with version 3.0 clients?

I know that NOD32 3.0 clients are unable to download updates from a mirror maintained by NOD32 2.7 LAN Update Server.

In the product description here it says "Still supports NOD32 version 2 products".

Has anyone checked this out to see whether verion 2.7 clients can still use the NOD32 Business Edition mirror?
    I don't want to update our mirror server and find that I need to race around the office and update every 2.7 client to 3.0 immediately so they can download updates.

19. CrunchieBite

CrunchieBite Guest

If you point a v2.7 client to a v3.x RA server, the v2.7 client does show up in version 3's RA console and all of the details look ok. I haven't been able to get a v2.7 client to update from a v3.x mirror though. Everything I try results in the v2.x client stating "Download Interrupted" during the update. I can only assume that the new mirror is not compatible with old clients (or that I have missed something somewhere!!).

20. vjecmenic

vjecmenic Registered Member

I can only say that I agree with you. :)

21. ogsi

ogsi Registered Member

same here. something with the LAN updater is not working and let's hope ESET fix it sooner then later

22. red_jack

It is not compatible. v3 mirror will only update v3 clients. Trying with v2 client on a v3 mirror, the client hang on the ver file. Need two separate mirrors.

@catprincess: If you have a lic file, the home edition will enable the mirror also. Maybe it shouldn't but it does. Everything is the exact same but the images have Business Edition pasted on it. If the reseller is not in business anymore you should contact someone from Eset to see about the lic file. Marcos seems to able to look into these things.

23. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

That's a pain in the a**.

As Eset will not be releasing a new version of NOD32 for Exchange Server (XMON) until next year, it will have to stay at version 2.7.

The only alternatives are to configure the 2.7 clients to bypass the mirror and download updates direct from the Eset servers or have 2 mirrors, one v 3.0 and one v 2.7.

What exactly do Eset mean by "Still supports NOD32 version 2 products" in the feature list for NOD32 3.0 Business Edition?

24. catprincess

catprincess Guest

I contacted Marcos and was told that the mirror module is activated after entering a valid license key for Business edition in the License manager in the EAV/ESS setup. There was no mention of Home Edition or how to obtain a lic file. I am awaiting a reply from Marcos clarifiying whether the mirror feature is supposed to be available in the Home Edition.

25. catprincess

catprincess Guest

I am still trying to find out whether Nod 3 Home Edition/ESS Home Edition allows the use of a mirror if you have a multi-user licence. My multi-user licence allowed me to use the Nod 2.7 LAN update server, however now they have made separate business and home products it's unclear whether this feature is available to home users with multi-user licences. I never used Enterprise Edition, I don't have a business, just a licence for 3 machines.

I have to renew my licence early next year; there is no point in renewing the home edition licence if it no longer supports the mirror I need.

I am not thrilled about the prospect of having to get a new licence for a business edition when I only have 3 computers, however I am even less thrilled not to know what I need one way or the other.

My question is simple, yet so far Eset will not give me a clear explanation. I have answers from users experience, however they contradict each other and if one is going to be paying money for something they like to know whether a feature they need is available first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.