AntiSpyware Suggestions?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mrm3601, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrm3601

mrm3601 Registered Member

I'm new to computers and software.

I'm using Spysweeper and I was using Zone Alarm Pro's antispyware software until I removed ZA and I replaced it with Online Armor.

I'm looking for a second antispyware software system to install and I'm trying SUPERAntiSpyware. I find that SUPER does find spyware that Spysweeper misses but the same is true the other way around.

I'll next be trying AVG Anti-Spyware. In the past I've also used CounterSpy but I didn't particularly like it.

Any other suggestions as to what to try would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

No single product can or ever will catch everything on a given day, so running multiple layers of protection is your best for cleanup and protection.

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think you will find AVG-AS to fit the bill really well.

5. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Let's make sure the user knows that even AVG won't catch everything on a given day - no single product can catch everything. AVG is a great application, but a single application won't be the final solution. AVG and SAS play "well" together (for example), as well as many other applications - select two or three to run as on-demand to round out your security selection.

6. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Then there's always BOClean which works differantly then others by scanning memory every 10 seconds for malware. It has no on demand scanner.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

If you last tried CounterSpy 1.5, you will find the new version 2 to be lighter.

Anyways you cant go wrong with AVG, CounterSpy, or a-squared. They all top notch.

Also if you just want ondemand scanning, keep in mind that CounterSpy doesnt have a free version.

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I agree with you.No single A/S program will catch everything.
    Layered approach is a very good one also.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Totally agree. You can never have to much protection.:thumb:

10. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

SpywareBlaster is a good start if you do not already have it installed. I like SAS because it does not have all those processes running even for only on-demand scanning. FWIU AVG AS will not allow its guard.exe to be disabled as in the past even for just the free version. I am thinking about just trying some of the free online scanners, ESET, Housecall (the uk version does not need the active x download), etc

11. mrm3601

mrm3601 Registered Member

Thank you all very much.

Yes, I've read that a "layered approach" is the best approach.

Thank you again.

12. philebus

philebus Registered Member

When Nick says AVG and Superantispy "play well" together does this mean the full version of both, or rather the full version of one and the on-demand version of the other. In other words, I know you shouldn't run 2 or more real time AV applications, but is is Nick suggesting you can run these 2 real time antispyware apps without conflict?

13. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

SUPERAntiSpyware and AVG can both be run together in real-time - we have had no conflicts reported or found in our testing.

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have run both SAS and AVGAS at the same time active, and have no conflicts.
    Best,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.