ESS v3.0.551.0: Quite a few firewall config bugs!

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by sjgore, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjgore

sjgore Registered Member

There appear to be quite a few bugs in the firewall "Zone and Rule Setup" config box, one of which was identified as far back as Beta 2:

1. Sort by columns doesn't work (sort by application, trusted zone in, etc.).

2. Sometimes rules that are manually created don't appear in the list, and have to be added a second time before they will appear.

3. If an application creates a rule whilst the ESS GUI has the firewall config box open, the rule will not appear until either (a) next reboot, or (b) the GUI is closed, another window is opened (any will do, Windows Explorer for example) and then the ESS GUI is reopened. This bug was identified in Beta 2.

I'm very impressed with 3.0.551.0 overall though! Very slick.

Steve.

2. sjgore

sjgore Registered Member

183 views and no comments? Is nobody else experiencing any of the above?

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Points 1,3 are not bugs, simply that's how it works now. As for point 2, are you able to replicate this behavior? If so, could you provide me with step-by-step instructions as how to replicate it?

4. Dugite

Dugite Registered Member

No matter what I do I can't get it to recognise FileZilla FTP server one of the most popular servers around as it is free and open source. Comodo Firewall for Vista recognises it right off first time started. I've asked here a few times and am yet to get a reply :(

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

What is the exact problem? If you create the appropriate rules in interactive mode they don't work?

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

A client of mine have the same problem . I configured his ESS firewall in Allowed sharing , all services allowed , Interactive Mode , created rule to allow File Zilla , created rule to all all kind of FTP ports . ESS reportes that the traffic has been allowed by rule , however an FTP server cannot be access . As soon as the firewall is disabled , it works .

Mozilla's FileZilla

7. Dugite

Dugite Registered Member

Thank you HiTech_boy I was begging to think it was me. It is such a popular server and I use it to allow my family to log in and grab my photo's etc that are too large to send via email.
    I'm hoping this will be fixed soon.

I seems I have been banned for some reason for posting in the forums here? I'd like to know what I've done wrong? Seems there is a lot of angst regarding the pricing in different countries but I have not contributed to that at all. I am however allowed to edit my posts

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  8. sjgore

sjgore Registered Member

Thanks for the replies, Marcos.

The trouble is, it seems to be quite random.

The last time it happened was when adding Half Life 2 Episode One (hl2.exe): I clicked 'New' to create a new firewall rule. I selected hl2.exe from "D:\Valve\SteamApps\{username}\episodeone\" (from memory, the path might not be 100% correct, I'm at work right now and can't check), and then chose "Both" (directions) and "Deny". I clicked apply/okay, and then checked to see if it was in the list, and it wasn't. I closed the ESS GUI, and reopened it, but the rule still wasn't there. I added the rule a second time straight away (same as before) and this time it appeared in the list.

RE: Point 1: When I click the column headers, an up or down arrow appears (as it does in Windows Explorer columns) which implies that it should be sorting by that column, either ascending or descending. Do you mean that this feature has not yet been added? In which case, the columns being clickable and the presence of the arrows is a bit misleading.

RE: Point 3: Again, do you mean that this simply doesn't work as intended for now, or that this is how it will always work?

Thanks!
    Steve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.