how do i fix this

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Mr.Blaze, Jan 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:doubt: Lets see

on windows xp homw addtion i get messenger acessing the internet constantly

its not on my start up list

but yet its always runing in the background trying to acess the net

this messenger is the one that comes with xp and not the new instant messeging client i dowenloaded

look

Attached Files:

2. Mr.Blaze

but yet check out my services in msconfig

i see it runing can i kill the runing process or will it screw up my pc if i turn it off

Attached Files:

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Blaze,

In that Service control panel screen, right-click on that Messenger entry and read the description. I think that is the messenger service (the one those popups come in on if you don't have a firewall), and not the MS Messenger. Can you tell us part of what that description says?

Also, in ZAP get the properties on that Messenger Program line you are blocking and tell us what program that is. I suspect that is the built-in MS Messenger application and not the Messenger service noted above. If so, that is tied into things like OE and has several hooks that cause it to be started.

Both of these are disabled in different ways and for different reasons, so we'll need to know which is which.

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

In case it is MSN Messenger that is bothering you:

Once again (and no: this is not an advertisement !!!) I would like to point to IEClean from Nancy and Kevin.
    It blocks MSN Messenger from loading up.

Quote from the Helpfile:

Microsoft is now including their own incompatible version of AOL Instant Messenger called "MSN Messenger" with Internet Explorer and it is designed to start every time you run Windows whether you want it to or not. MSN Messenger is a resource hog and can bring many systems to their knees as it drains resources. While you are online, MSN Messenger is in contact with MSN and presents a potential for system attacks.

Selecting this option causes MSN Messenger to fail to load at startup and prevents its icon from appearing on the traybar. It does NOT interfere with use of MSN Messenger if you want to run it from Internet Explorer and frees a considerable amount of resources by not allowing it to run unless you ask it to.

IEClean is Copyright 1996-2001 by Privacy Software Corporation

- end quote -

5. Mr.Blaze

msmsgs
    Application
    Messenger
    C:\Program Files\Messenger
    1.42 MB (1,498,032 bytes)
    1.42 MB (1,499,136 bytes)
    Monday, April 14, 2003, 8:05:20 PM
    Monday, April 14, 2003, 8:05:20 PM
    Today, January 04, 2004, 1:06:40 PM

verstion
    WADDINGTON
    Microsoft Corporation
    msmsgs
    English (United States)
    Microsoft(R) is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries.
    msmsgs.exe
    Messenger
    Version 4.7

its not myverstion 6.1
    the newone i installed is not on my start up list and i have that one config so it only works manualy

this one seems to be installed from when i installed xp i think or new ie 6

6. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

So with the win XP you still do not what to try the free ..

http://www.xp-antispy.org/

What is XP-AntiSpy?

XP-AntiSpy is a little utility that let's you disable some built-in update and authetication 'features' in WindowsXP.
    For example, there's a service running in the background wich is called 'Automatic Updates'. I don't know what this service transfers from my machine to other machines on the internet, especially the MS ones. So I play it safe and disable such functions. If you like, you can even disable these function manually, by going through the System and checking or unchecking some checkboxes. This will take you approximately half an hour. But why wasting time when a little neat utility can do the same in 1 minute? This utility was successfully tested by lots of users, and was found to disable all the known 'Suspicious' Functions in WindowsXP. It's customizeable, but comes up with the Default settings, which are recommended. If you like to get more information about those 'functions',read THIS.

This utility is FREEWARE! This means, you dont have to pay anything for this program and you can give it to anyone who's interested in, as long as you don't sell it. If you find this tool useful, and wanna gimme something back, then click on my sponsors.
    Thanks.

Important information: The Domains "www.xp-antispy .de" und "www.xpantispy .de" do not belong to the project xp-AntiSpy anymore. The new owner offers only a dialer to download.
    Please update any links and your bookmarks to www.xp-antispy.org
    Greetings, -chris-

to turn it off ;)

- Fixed the specs on the lost domains since this forum software auto-corrects them - LWM ;)

7. LowWaterMark

Yes, XP-Antispy is probably the best way to handle it. I was looking over all the different ways I had gathered to disable Messenger and unlink it from OE and some of them may have changed when SP1 came out, I'm not sure. So the tool is a better idea.

8. Mr.Blaze

whoa that was painless and worked great thx guy thx Primrose that application kicks but

i have one qustion can i undo the changes and how just incase i run in to problems in the future?

9. LowWaterMark

You should be able to run XP-Antispy any time you want and change the settings as you like them. I put a link to it in my Accessories menu just to have it handy.

10. Mr.Blaze

up nope mesenger still on lol which is strange it was off earler on till i got on the internet

11. LowWaterMark

Well, the three ways I know of killing off Messenger are as follows:

1. A registry key to prevent it from running:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Messenger\Client]
    "PreventRun"=dword:00000001

2. Unbind Outlook Express from Messenger...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express]
    "Hide Messenger"=dword:00000002

3. A command to deinstall it:

Go to Start/Run, and type (without the quotes):
    "rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection BLC.Remove 128 %SystemRoot%\INF\msmsgs.inf"

I have three ways because I wanted Messenger dead on my system. Totally killed off.

However, my concern here Blaze is that you have a newer version that you deliberately installed and want to use, and I don't know if these changes will kill that off, too. Let's wait and see if anyone else has a comment on it.

You could try the two registry keys, one at a time being sure to reboot in between. Just save the previous values, if there are any for those fields in the registry already, so that you can undo them in case it doesn't work right.

Flag settings like a "PreventRun" or "Hide Messenger" are not things that cause permanent changes to your system. It is just as easy to reverse them and reboot to get things back the way they were. That uninstall though is not something I recommend unless you just want to ensure Messenger is dead forever.

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Have you tried the app at GRC to shut down the messenger

Attached Files:

13. bigc73542

Also here is microsofts fix to shut messenger

Attached Files:

14. LowWaterMark

Right bigc! Of course, those are for the messenger service which Blaze should also shutdown (like the rest of us. ;) ) My items were for the MS Messenger application (c:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe) as listed in his ZAP display.

15. bigc73542

Now I understand. I had just never heard of the other messenger connecting when it is not open. Well you learn something new every day.

16. Mr.Blaze

well xp anti spy did actualy kil alot of stuff and it did take messenger off of the services in ms config

by the way im loveing xpantispy thx for the hook up but acording to zone alarm pro its still active trying to connect

man this thing is nasty as a trojan

17. Mr.Blaze

omfg this thing wont die lol

i just dowenloaded shoot the messemger it already confirm it was disabled but im thinking its the msn mesenger i dowenloaded and not the one thats listed in zone alarm

ok so basicly theres two messengers right one that you install for aim instant messenging and one thats perty much built in to the os calling home and runing in the background 24-7

will goodnews is i killed the one i dowenloaded from runing in background even though i had choose option not to run on start up when windows starts in its option list

it still aperently was runing secretly behind my back until i used xp antispy

that paticuler one wasnt transmting but just being a system resource hog

this other one im guessing runs in the background ans is part of the os and is not listed in the startup list nore in the services list in msconfig and seems to be runing 24-7

18. yokenny

yokenny Registered Member

MS makes things confusing about "Messenger" things.

There is Messenger Service that can be stopped by applications like ShootTheMessenger.

There is Windows Messenger that is evident by the running task:
    msmsgs.exe
    Windows Messenger utility. If you don't use Windows Messenger, this can be annoying. Available via Start -> Programs. Go to Windows Messenger > Tools > Options > Preferences and uncheck "Run this program when Windows starts"

There is MSN Messenger that is evident by the running task:
    msnmsgr.exe
    MSN Messenger utility. If you don't use MSN Messenger, this can be annoying. Available via Start -> Programs. Go to MS Messenger > Tools > Options > Preferences and uncheck "Run this program when Windows starts"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.